THREE features you'd pay upgrade price for?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic

Select THREE features you'd pay upgrade price for!

On-line collaboration
1%
Step recording
4%
Mixed track heights
2%
Resizeable mixer faders
2%
Proper feedback routing (tracks, sends, Grid)
2%
Alias / Linked Clips
3%
Automation clips
6%
Scene follow-actions
1%
Audio & MIDI Comping
10%
Retrospective recording
7%
Native pitch correction (ala Melodyne)
2%
Video track / playback
3%
Grid containers
5%
MIDI Grid
12%
UI builder (knobs, faders, buttons, X/Y as remote pages)
4%
FL-like piano-roll features
13%
Scoring / notation support
1%
Data zoom / logarythmic waveform view
1%
Apple Silicon native support
3%
Audio to MIDI
3%
ARA support
6%
MSEG
9%

Total votes: 578

RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:34 pm
mosska wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 pm where's the groove pool ?
In Ableton. I heard it's fun :P
music tech enthusiast anddd... stand up comedian apparently)))

1) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks
2) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks
3) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am
That's why I have Elektron, MPC Live and a Polyend Tracker! I don't think you will ever see a 'DAW' in a Box...but plenty of other fun options.
Even if we never get the "DAW in a box", we are getting to the point where we can do almost everything in a single box and let just the finishing details for the DAW on the pc.

Just look whow Deluge (a single core 400Mhz A9 cpu) can do great tracks!!!

https://youtu.be/E_sybV0hyqQ

or this made only on Roland Verselab MV 1

https://youtu.be/QKIb53WFpwU

At the moment the problems is that the boxes in the market are a little under powered in cpu/ram (akais and Machine+ are better) and the software still a bit underdeveloped, so it isnt that easy to just pick the file and finish it in the pc. Still at this moment you can record a full band (with audio+synths combo) in a 2-4 takes on akai force and it seems a big update is coming.

But if (when?) Ableton launch something like a standalone Push were you can use Live software and instruments/fx to laid everything without ever touch the pc and just take it to the PC for extra horsepower, precise editing or VSTs. That will be a game changer.

I just wish that BWS would be that game changer.
It is funny because software wise is probably the best bet as it already runs on Linux, have touchscreen functions and a great controller API.

Midi Time Stretching is the most important for me

johnwoo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:33 am Midi Time Stretching is the most important for me
Already there...

pc999 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 am
Even if we never get the "DAW in a box", we are getting to the point where we can do almost everything in a single box and let just the finishing details for the DAW on the pc.

Just look whow Deluge (a single core 400Mhz A9 cpu) can do great tracks!!!

I just wish that BWS would be that game changer.
It is funny because software wise is probably the best bet as it already runs on Linux, have touchscreen functions and a great controller API.
It obviously could be done, it’s just a touchscreen computer...put that in a box with audio io and you are almost there...but I don’t see a lot of advantages over that and running Bitwig on any touchscreen computer/tablet? You can use a dedicated computer with a striped down OS (don’t install email etc!) that boots to Bitwig...it would be the same as dedicated hardware?

Then there is the issue of what dedicated controls do you add that will suit everyone, and do you add a keyboard? It will be getting big now!

Drum machines lend them selves to stand alone as they are normally just pads...you can go 8x8 (like Force which is probably the closest thing to a stand alone DAW recut now) but that won’t suit everyone else, the other thing to consider is that if you still need an accessible OS if you want to install other VSTs...so it will always end up still being a computer!

In this situation it’s almost always the dedicated USB controller that comes first (Maschine, PUSH, Atom SQ, Fire etc) and then if that works (took a while to get to PUSH 2 and it’s still far from perfect!) you can embed your computer!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

johnwoo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:33 am Midi Time Stretching is the most important for me
You're in luck because it's been here for 6+ months :)

https://youtu.be/y7ZPwFEjSns
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Scales in piano roll would be nice. For now the note pitch shifter does the trick for me but a in the piano roll integrated version would be nice af. Even programs like lmms or qtracktor got this feature.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 am You can use a dedicated computer with a striped down OS (don’t install email etc!) that boots to Bitwig...it would be the same as dedicated hardware?
Maybe it can be done by a good programmer, but not by me :wink: Even if I could do it I would want it to be officially supported, because I dont what a hack job, I want a real product. As a bonus standalones are way, way more stable than any software I ever tried.

I sometimes do use BWS with a touchscreen+launchpad pro, it is a completely different feel from what I get using just Akai Force. Just like using MPC/Force hardware is completely different from using MPC software on the PC. It is hard to explain but probably easier to understand when one try it. There is real workflow difference and feel between the standalone and the software versions or DAWs.

Plus I think that having dedicated machines and some separation between what we use for work and other activities (email, shopping, news) is quite good. Even on the touchscreen I am always being annoyed by notifications, bugs, errors... and there is always the temptation to check the email or to look for tutorials instead of exploration.

VST plugin hosting in the Grid! Let me make the entire project a modular thing that lives in a single track :)

A Drone device under Note FX. (Note Latch gets unlatched under some circumstances, and isn't the most convenient thing if you want to change the note. A DC Offset into a Replacer works but it also needs to be reset each time a new device is added to the chain or sometimes after the transport stops.)

foosnark wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:11 pm VST plugin hosting in the Grid! Let me make the entire project a modular thing that lives in a single track :)
Ever heard of Mulab? ;)
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm Ever heard of Mulab? ;)
I really don't want to change DAWs again. I do like Bitwig quite a lot, and VST plugins in the Grid isn't any kind of deal breaker for me, just a nice-to-have.

foosnark wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm
dakkra wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm Ever heard of Mulab? ;)
I really don't want to change DAWs again. I do like Bitwig quite a lot, and VST plugins in the Grid isn't any kind of deal breaker for me, just a nice-to-have.
Hehe fair enough. I said it mostly in jest. I converted to Bitwig from Mulab (though I still use the MUX which is essentially a VST version of Mulab's under-structure). It's a nice little modular space, but only supports VST2 (for now).
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

bielphc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 pm Look. I dunno. But i've asked a lot of people about online collab. No one of them want this in Bitwig.

This is one of the promised features in the past.

Did they change the plans?

I hope a better piano roll with scales, chords and candies, an UI builder to devices and, of course, multi out and midi grid. This would be awesome.

But i want a convolution reverb too.
I want collab. That would be great.
In the future there will be robots!

T71 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:45 pm 1) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks
2) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks
3) Cakewalk-like step sequencer tracks

these step sequencers look nice, maybe I should try out cakewalk. Isn't cakewalk really good for external gear too? I seem to be accumulating more of that.
In the future there will be robots!

Return to “Bitwig”