New MPE synths...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com

Thanks-- I've added it the Recommended Sounds list, given that I don't have a place for MPE utilities.

John the Savage wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:21 pm
Sofine wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:52 am
t-IB wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:33 am Has anyone tried out the modal argon8's mpe yet?
I saw this today. Not quite a Linnstrument in control, but apparently it simulates MPE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kTo6l3dbE
Hmm...

Maybe I've just got no patience for this guy's presentation style, but I didn't really get much from that video. At very least, despite whatever that app is supposed to be capable of, I don't think he did a very convincing job of demonstrating the A8's MPE implementation here.

That notwithstanding, I think we're overdue for a catch-up, Sofine. I can already hear the melodious clinking of ice in a glass... :wink:

Cheers!
Indeed, not a great demo, but I am hoping that someone with both a Linnstrument and A8 posts a video soon.

Your hearing has not let you down John, ice has been steadily clinking in isolation - let's change that!

I don't know if this has been offered up on this thread but....
There's a great deal on Initial Audio's Sektor going on in the market place.
https://www.kvraudio.com/marketplace/se ... tial-audio

Just picked mine up yesterday.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It still does not work with MPE, at least on my Macs. Support isn't interested to solve the issue, I gave up 2 years ago...

Modal SKULPT firmware 2.0 has added MPE support, to quote from the info about the new firmware:
MPE support – SKULPT synthesiser now supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
(above quote is found by clicking the downloads button and then version 2.0 entry https://www.modalelectronics.com/skulpt/).

I cannot try it myself because I seem to have lost my Skulpt, one of the disadvantages of such a small synth! Oh where have you gone?

SteveElbows wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm Modal SKULPT firmware 2.0 has added MPE support, to quote from the info about the new firmware:
MPE support – SKULPT synthesiser now supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
(above quote is found by clicking the downloads button and then version 2.0 entry https://www.modalelectronics.com/skulpt/).

I cannot try it myself because I seem to have lost my Skulpt, one of the disadvantages of such a small synth! Oh where have you gone?
Oh I will try this immediately, woohoo! Will report back asap.

mike
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Thanks. I've added Skulpt to the Recommended Sounds page.

mrspiral wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm
SteveElbows wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm Modal SKULPT firmware 2.0 has added MPE support, to quote from the info about the new firmware:

Oh I will try this immediately, woohoo! Will report back asap.

mike
Can confirm! SKULPT works beautifully with the LS128 as far as I can tell.

There are a bunch of new MPE settings on the first Settings page of the MODALapp, which will update firmware as soon as it sees your SKULPT. Set MPE PB Range to 24, Master Channel to 1 and MPE Num Chans to 15 (or whatever, if you're limiting polyphony), turn MPE Mode ON, and you're good to go. You can clock the SKULPT's sequencer and LFOs from the Linnstrument's clock, too.

Polyphonic pitchbend and MPE channel pressure work exactly as advertised, and the SKULPT will in fact happily trigger multiple instances of the same note if desired.

One note: the global pitch bend setting of the SKULPT, set at the bottom of the first settings page in the MODALapp, still governs the overall pitch bend range, even under external control (MPE or otherwise).... IF you're not in MPE Mode. With MPE Mode ON, the MPE pitch settings take over.

For a three-minute test run, all systems GO. Roger, PLEASE add this to the Recommended Hardware list... MPE-capable hardware synths have finally broken a very significant price barrier!
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

EDIT: Roger added the SKULPT between when I read the post and when I posted about my tests. Thanks, Roger! :D

Sofine wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 am Indeed, not a great demo, but I am hoping that someone with both a Linnstrument and A8 posts a video soon.
I've had Argon8 Module for a while but unfortunatelly returned it. Everything was actually great about it after 2.0 FW update. MPE was working great, UI was nice, sound got better (louder) with the update and the digital wavetable character was appealing (I didn't have any wavetable HW before) and I could get some decent MPE sounds out of it. But I realized it sounds (to me!) way too much like another soft synth, albeit with character, having one crucial limitation ... only 8 freely assignable modulation slots (+ 4 hardwired). That's simply (to me!) not enough for detailed MPE sound design. I was missing additional slots too often. Like adding a tiny bit of velocity driven mod envelope to some parameter here and there and in no time all slots were gone. If Modal adds i.e. two destinations to each slot, I might reconsider it again. Nonetheless, it's one of the best MPE enabled synths on the market now (if not the best) and it's great to see a company that does MPE HW synths right.

This is good info... Thanks.

Cheers!

Thank you. I've added it to the Recommended Sounds page.

I just found out, the nightly of Dexed has been MPEfied by the surge team. That is great news. I will suggest to Arturia and all other synth developers using Juce to hire baconpaul...
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases

I'd prefer to wait until it's an official release before listing it on the Recommended Sounds page.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”