Ableton Push support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

Oh my...... Need to control myself here not to buy version 2. :hihi:
But great work! That display is pretty darn sexy!
Thnx! :clap:

I managed to get this working on a Mac, I tried a bunch of things , but I think the thing that did it was
I unarchived the push22bitwig.jar file to produce a bunch of .class files.
then java -cp "" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig worked ok, once the push 2 display window came up I disabled the run bitwig automatically and just fired up Bitwig manually.

+1 for Moss's hard work.

Steve.

dont unarchive the jar file, makes a updating pain etc

for the mac/linux use :

Code: Select all

java -cp "lib/usb4java-1.2.0/lib/*:classes" push22bitwig.DisplayEmulator

note: this assumes a newer version of java installed,

@moss, what you could do, as Ive done this on another project, and its similar to what bitwig has done
is use javafx to deploy the application... its cross platform, and will produce an 'native' executable wrapper, and can optionally include a java runtime (so you dont have to worry about what version of java is installed)

Thanks to steve and technobear for commenting on the startup on Mac. As technobear said unzipping is not necessary but his line is also not correct since it addresses a preview version I sent him.

steves code line was missing the "*" after -cp which tells Java to use all the libraries (*.jar) in the current directory. Therefore, it is important that the current directory is the one that contains the Jar files. Then the following line should work (if java is on your search path):

java -cp "*" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig
Without having tested it (since I can't) the following startup script should work both on Mac and Linux. Check if the JAVA_HOME and the script-directory matches your system:

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk1.8.0_66/
cd ~/Documents/Bitwig Studio/Controller Scripts/Push4Bitwig/push2/push2display
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -cp "*" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig
Please confirm if that works for you.

oops, sorry didn't have time to check with newer version.

on the mac, java will not be in /usr/local, it will be something like:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/

but it will also be on the path anyway... you can check with version is installed with

java -version
Last edited by thetechnobear on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what perhaps might be a better option... is for users to run using the java VM supplied by bitwig, as then everyone uses the same version
on the mac this can be accomplished with :

/Applications/Bitwig\ Studio.app/Contents/PlugIns/JavaVM.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -cp "*" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig
note: this assumes user has installed into 'normal' location, and will be different with each platform

Note: moss, your running of the bitwig application does not work on the mac, since its not handling escaping correct, sorry cannot be more specific as I don't have access to source...
errors are:

Cannot run program "C:\Program": error=2, No such file or directory
Cannot run program "/Applications/Bitwig\": error=2, No such file or directory
generally it would be run with :

/Applications/Bitwig\ Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/BitwigStudio
as you can see, obviously different directory characters and also a space in Bitwig Studio needs escaping.

fyi: the way I usually handle this is to have use a file browser to allow user to select location, and then this is automatically correctly escaped. (as its going to be tricky for you to do otherwise with no access to Linux/Mac OS)

Oh my, that's spectacular!

If the integration will be good with the new push2 display I guess I have think of getting one.

in case this is usefull to anyone else, here's what I'm running.

Thanks to Moss and thetechnobear

I created a .sh script and made it executable with the following contents

#!/bin/sh
open -a /Applications/Bitwig\ Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/BitwigStudio
cd ~/Documents/Bitwig\ Studio/Controller\ Scripts/Push4Bitwig/push2/push2display
/Applications/Bitwig\ Studio.app/Contents/PlugIns/JavaVM.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -cp "*" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig

this works but leaves a couple of windows behind when you close Bitwig so I then ran that .sh script through
platypus to turn it into an app so it's a icon double click without any windows left behind.
I've uploaded it here
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... H2.app.zip

Steve.

Have not been ableto get the "RunPush2" program to take over the Push 2 display, Bitwig loads and the Push 2 script runs
I am able to take over the Push 2 display with terminal by "cd to the "push2Display" directory", and running "java -cp "*" push22bitwig.Push22Bitwig" (The command Moss gave earlier in the post
Only thing i can figure is that when I use terminal I am using Java in OS X
With "RunPush2" program I am running java that is internal to bitwig

Hello,

I have some trouble connecting push to Bitwig. I installed the script as described but I still cannot get Push to work. I selected Push in the Controllers Tab but MIDIIN2 (Ableton Push) and MIDIOUT2 (Ableton Push) doesn't appear. I can select only "Ableton Push live Port" or "Ableton Push User Port" and selecting user mode nothing happens. I've tried to restart computer, deleting the script and copying it another time but nothing change.

I'm sure it's something easy to fix but cannot find the solution. What do i do wrong?

Thank you for your attention and best greetings

Vic Sounds

http://www.facebook.com/VicSoundsDj/?ref=hl
Last edited by Vic Sounds on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi!

Maybe i overlooked something here. Or didnt read/searched well here.

But when i put a FX-track IN a group, the send buttons/knobs dont correspond anymore with the FX-tracks.
When deleting or put the FX-track aside the master track its normal again. :idea:
I hope this is a bug, because i like my fx sends in the group.
I ask here instead sending to tech because i dont got a clue whats under the hood with all this. :dog: :hihi:

But wow having fun with push.. specially now ive got it a while and it becomes my second nature to control things! Amazing! thnx again! :hug: :clap:

As a addendum to the Platypus app to open BWS and Push 2 submitted by Steve,
It will only work if the path to "push2display is the same
I have amended it to reflect a different path to "push2Display " as follows.

open -a /Applications/Bitwig\ Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/BitwigStudio
cd ~/Documents/Bitwig\ Studio/Controller\ Scripts/Ableton/Push/push2/push2display

For whatever reason this is the location of "push2display" is different on my system.
If this location reflects where it is at on your system the app will work properly ( you will have to recompile using Platypus)
IF not.you can can download a copy of Platypus and recompile to reflect the location of your "push2display" folder.
The other option is to change the location of "push2display" to the path indicated on the post by Steve.
Hope this helps somebody

Lloyd

i am not able at all to load device, pushing browse never launch the browser. Is it working for you ?

Hi Moss, thanks again for your hard work! :tu:

While playing around with Ableton + Push i noticed that while in step sequencer mode, you can use the touchstrip to navigate vertically through your selected scale in small increments - very useful if i want to set a step that's below the selected root note. In Bitwig it's only possible jump up and down per octave - is this a limitation of the API or do you plan to implement that in the future? Or am i doing something wrong?

Another minor thing: Is it possible to always see the horizontal orientation of the session mode first when pressing the "session" button? I never use the vertical mix view so i always have to push the session button twice to get to my preferred orientation.

Return to “Controller Scripting”