Just released a controller script for the Novation LaunchControl XL.

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi everyone,

After a month of intensive coding, I just released the first version of my controller script for the LaunchControl XL (a different one from jdachtera, with a different approach leveraging the different MIDI channels the Launchpad can talk to).

Basically it provides 8 user modes with freely assignable controls and 4 factory modes: one to control device macros (scrolling through them is possible with the nav keys since there's only 3 knobs per device), another one to control Pan and FXes and two live modes with freely assignable knobs. Mute/solo/record features are supported as well.

Finally there's a device mode that can be triggered by double clicking on a channel (top row of buttons) or using the "Device button". It's intending for composing more than playing live and gives access to macros parameter pages (scrolling is possible) and common parameters. Macro assignment and navigation through presets is down with the 16 buttons. Nested device navigation is achieved with the Mute/Solo/Arm buttons.

It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/elafarge/novation-la ... -xl-bitwig (https://github.com/elafarge/novation-launchcontrol-xl-bitwig) , you'll also find some useful pieces of documentation over there.

It is intended to work with Bitwig 1.1.6+ and should be fully functional. Thanks a lot for reporting bugs that you may find on Github or here.

In the future, I'll add a customized device mode for Drumpads and a Transport Board that will maps buttons to action in the software (Panel Navigation, Device/Track insertion, Undo, Play/pause...). The ultimate goal is to be able to use Bitwig without touching the keyboard or mouse (or almost).

Have a great night.

Haha, that's funny that we posted our scripts exactly at the same time :) Good to see someone else also care for this controller. I will definitely try yours when I'm back home.

The soft takeover function of the script is genius.

As far as i can read the Scripts it should be possibele to port it to any other controller that has faders/knobs and buttuns to show the direction the Fader/Knob has to be moved to fit whats on sreen....am i right?

Technically speaking it would be possible yes :)

The "classes" defined in `board.js` and `soft_takeover_board.js` are abstractions that could be adapted rather quickly to any other type of controller.
It would require a little bit of work though since I hardcoded the Layout of the boards as well as midi signals and colors in theses files. I'm planning to move these in separate files to make it even more easier to re-use the base of the script for a controller we're building from scratch with a friend but I'm not sure about when I'll find time to do this.

If you want to start using the code base for a controller of your own, I'd be glad to help (I also want to write a technical documentation explaining how the script works under the hood but yeah, time flies by way faster than I expected in the first place :) ). Feel free to ping me here / using a private message or on IRC (the nickname is Sparadox there as well).

Happy hacking !

Etienne

Any Chance to see this script updated to version 2 of Bitwig?

Yes, please!
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

Hi,

Just one more person chiming in to say pllleaase update it for bitwig 2 :)

Return to “Controller Scripting”