Support for Novation Launchpad Pro and Launchpad MkII is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I got a question (on LP Mk2). What should the behavior of the pads when I am in clip launching mode? If I tap a pad it blinks green as long as the clip has not started. After the clip begins I can not see, which clip is currently playing. Is that the intended behavior, or should the pad blink in track color or be brighter as longe as it is active?

Edit: Just realized, that i also can not use sequencer mode (Shift+User1).

Edit2: OK, I am talkin to myself... ;-) I got the newest version from git an compiled it. The different sequencer modes are working again. I looked at the sources and found the line "final SessionColor isPlaying = new SessionColor (LaunchpadColors.LAUNCHPAD_COLOR_GREEN, LaunchpadColors.LAUNCHPAD_COLOR_GREEN, true);" in the SessionVies.java. I think that should do, what i want, but it does not work. Any suggestions?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi,

as it was difficult for me to remember all the functions, i did a quick cheatsheet for MK2-Users. It is a very early version, so if you got feedback I will put that into newer versions. If somebody would like to have the sources, just send me a pm and I'll mail you the files. I did it natively in affinity, but AI is also possible.

PNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwajo1at6kl6b ... d.png?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwajo1at6kl6bv9/novation_launchpad.png?dl=0)
PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ifo0xfl5z1zp ... d.pdf?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ifo0xfl5z1zpt2/novation_launchpad.pdf?dl=0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Moss,

I got a questions about the LP PRO:

If I understood well, on the Drum Note mode, the lower right 4x4 takes care of the position of Current selected clip´s loop region. It´s an awesome feature that allows having sections within one single clip instead of cluttering the Launcher with plenty of different variations of clips.
But the function being for the selected clips only and the inability to select something other than by Triggering em makes it trickto use.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Matjoe wrote: But the function being for the selected clips only and the inability to select something other than by Triggering em makes it trickto use.
Sorry, no. With the LP it is not possible to only select a clip without playing.

Same thing with the drumpads vs. Drum sequencer then? No way to select the sound to edit in step seq without triggering?

Suggestion: if the shift button is already in use, would it be possible to use another controller button or a keyboard modifier key combo instead? :pray:

Hi! New LPP user here.

Moss, thanks so much - your work led directly to my purchase of the Novation LPP. Many kudos!

A few questions...! (BW 2.2.3, plugin built from current master HEAD @ 887572a)

1) How would you select a clip (eg to quantize it), if "select clip on launch" is not enabled in the settings?

2) These may be better asked as a deeper question about your UI philosophy - should I expect to be able to use BW mouse/keyboard-less, eg for true live performance? This is as much about setting my own expectations as it is about improving the controller script. :)

2a) How would you delete a track? (I seem to be able to change active track, but not delete it; Delete will remove the current clip or do nothing)

2b) How would you add an empty track? (I have been able to duplicate a track, so for now the hack seems to be "keep an empty track around for duplication".)

2c) How would you delete or replace a device on a track?

3) What is the intended behavior of the top row in the sequencer? It doesn't seem to be well documented (eg, I seem to be able to reduce the clip to the 1st bar, but the LED display falls out of sync if I Undo, and it's not clear how to limit the clip to (eg) the 2nd+3rd bar.)

4) How is Raindrops mode best used? I have a very hard time aligning to the beat; perhaps I just need to enable rougher quantization when using this mode (it is unclear the best way to do this).

5) The in-key/chromatic flag does not appear to be remembered per track, but this would be very helpful: eg, track 1 = bassline with a key set, and notes out-of-key masked. track 2 = sliced-to-multisample that uses all chromatic keys. Switching between the tracks means remembering to toggle the in-key/chromatic flag, and the LED display sometimes seems to fall out of sync (hard to characterize).

6) Would it be possible to use the User mode/button to allow us to send generic midi (perhaps on another channel), so that we could have an entire 64+ keys that are user-mappable within BW?

Many thanks!

gws wrote: 1) How would you select a clip (eg to quantize it), if "select clip on launch" is not enabled in the settings?
That's not possible.

gws wrote:2) These may be better asked as a deeper question about your UI philosophy - should I expect to be able to use BW mouse/keyboard-less, eg for true live performance? This is as much about setting my own expectations as it is about improving the controller script. :)
Since it does not have a display I think this is not possible.

gws wrote:2a) How would you delete a track?
That function is currently missing in the API, therefore not possible.

gws wrote:2b) How would you add an empty track?
Currently not possible but I put that on the wishlist.

gws wrote:2c) How would you delete or replace a device on a track?
That function for deletion is currently missing in the API, therefore not possible.
To replace a device:
1) Open the browser
2) Switch to "Device" tab with the cursor left key
3) Select a different device
4) Confirm with green pad

gws wrote:3) What is the intended behavior of the top row in the sequencer?
You can set the loop / playback region of a clip. Press a single pad to limit the playback to that page. Hold the start pad and press a second pad to set a larger range. You can even make it longer than before.

gws wrote:4) How is Raindrops mode best used? I have a very hard time aligning to the beat; perhaps I just need to enable rougher quantization when using this mode.
I have best results with bell / percussive sounds.

gws wrote:5) The in-key/chromatic flag does not appear to be remembered per track, but this would be very helpful: eg, track 1 = bassline with a key set, and notes out-of-key masked. track 2 = sliced-to-multisample that uses all chromatic keys. Switching between the tracks means remembering to toggle the in-key/chromatic flag, and the LED display sometimes seems to fall out of sync (hard to characterize).
These settings are always global.

gws wrote:6) Would it be possible to use the User mode/button to allow us to send generic midi (perhaps on another channel), so that we could have an entire 64+ keys that are user-mappable within BW?
I use the User button as the Shift button on the MkII. Maybe there will be something new for the Pro.

I wish you all a happy new year!

I just released #3.3:
  • New: Press the Shift button in combination with one of the three green buttons in the right upper corner to insert an instrument, audio or effect track.
  • Fixed: The new Shift+Scene clip length selection introduced in 3.2 broke the switching of drum modes. Drum modes are now toggled with the (User 1) Note button as well.

Hi i have a launchpad Pro and Bitwig, and i have to say that this script is not good.. Ther eis not the possibility to record a new clip by pressing the record button on the launchpad ..also i cant record a new drum by simply playing like fingerdrummin i have to use the drum sequencer otherwise the notes are not recorded... its basically unusable.. at least one start record and stop record clip should be implemented otherwise you cant definetly record clip in time because you have to switch constantly between note page and session page... Thanks for the attention

moss wrote:I wish you all a happy new year!

I just released #3.3:
  • New: Press the Shift button in combination with one of the three green buttons in the right upper corner to insert an instrument, audio or effect track.
  • Fixed: The new Shift+Scene clip length selection introduced in 3.2 broke the switching of drum modes. Drum modes are now toggled with the (User 1) Note button as well.
Thanks for the updates Mr. Moss and a happy new year to you as well.

@ alemusicgirl
Please read the manual before saying "not good". Recording a clip is simple. Have a look here, that's what you can do with this script: https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... MkII-&-Pro

You can record drums (finger drumming) in note-mode (shift+record to not switch between modes). You maybe tried it in the drum sequencer which is only for that I assume.

gws wrote:2a) How would you delete a track?
moss wrote:That function is currently missing in the API, therefore not possible.
Why not application.focusPanelAbove () (JS API, but I'm sure there's a java equivalent) before triggering the usual delete (current button functionality)? That works for me, and I don't hold focus as sacred state, especially when I'm wanting to do things like delete from the LPP. (:

-g

Hi,
First, thanks moss for this extensions, it's great.

But i'm with Bitwig 2.3 beta 3 with a mk2 and I can't use the drum sequencer mode, neither the drum4 nor the drum8.
In drum sequencer mode the bottom left finger drumming works but the top half of the launchpad seems non-reponsive.
Are there some devices pre-requisite or something else to do, or latest Bitwig broke it ?
Last edited by violetcitron on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violetcitron wrote:Hi,
First, thanks moss for this extensions, it's great.

But i'm with Bitwig 2.3 beta 3 with a mk2 and I can't use the drum sequencer mode, neither the drum4 nor the drum8.
In sequencer mode the bottom left finger drumming works but the top half of the launchpad seems non-reponsive.
Are there some devices pre-requisite or something else to do, or latest Bitwig broke it ?
Is a clip selected?

So I was stubbornly trying to work with the arrangement timeline.
We need to work in the clip launcher mode.
Thanks.

Hi,
I have a few more question :

I couldn't find how to use the Duplicate function ?

The Double function isn't doing the metronome pre-roll, so it's start recording right away without leaving any time to reach for the keys, is this normal ?

Except for the Double function I haven't found how to make a new clip of X bars (At least as set in the controller options) ?

So as it is I get that trimming the clip with mouse/key is a necessity after any recording ?

I also find it quite disturbing that the button I use when panicking (start, and more importantly : stop) is a secondary and green button, but that's probably just me always panicking. On the other side "Stop all clip" wait for the end of the bar to stop and doesn't stop the metronome, it's far from a leave me alone kind of stop.

Return to “Controller Scripting”