Updates Jan 27th 2020 - Catalina & more

Official support for: u-he.com
40watt
KVRist
55 posts since 22 May, 2004 from UK

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 am

I'm also getting stuck notes in Diva when using the arp.

Steve1974
KVRist
125 posts since 13 Sep, 2014 from Moscow, Russia

Re: Updates Jan 27th 2020 - Catalina & more

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:56 am

40watt wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 am
Same here. Sometimes I get stuck notes when I just stop playback in my DAW. Maybe Reaper doesn't send Note Off correctly? The workaround is switch off/on the Arp control.
BTW, I've noticed the same behaviour in previous versions.

Update:
Just have read the Cockos forum - it's the common Reaper issue, not only for U-he synths.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm not a native speaker.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6923 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Steve1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:56 am
Update:
Just have read the Cockos forum - it's the common Reaper issue, not only for U-he synths.
I said this in another thread recently but Reaper has an action called something like "Send Note Offs to all MIDI Devices/Instruments." I recommend adding a keybinding to this action and/or putting it on your toolbar to kill the stuck notes.

You could even create a custom action that sends that action while playing/stopping playback.

tasmaniandevil
KVRian
842 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:52 am

Steve1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:56 am
40watt wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 am
Same here.
As I've already written in this thread, we could confirm that there is a hanging note issue which can happen in Diva's arp in the latest version. It's on our radar, and will surely be fixed. Thank you all for notifying us about it, that was an issue that slipped through our QA during the release tests. :oops:

tasmaniandevil
KVRian
842 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:20 am

Here is some more information about when stuck notes might occur: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=541167

cantaloupe
KVRist
65 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am

The latest u-he Hive takes more than two seconds to load on my machine. Bazille takes a bit under two seconds, which puts it in "just acceptable enough to not care". Dune 3 opens instantly.

Latest Reaper on a Macbook pro 2017 (integrated gpu) with macOS 10.14, new installation. Can't remember Hive being this slow to open. Is it normal or a bug?

edit: by "load" i mean open the GUI.

edit2: fixed the issue by choosing a different color profile. I thought "Adobe RGB" was one of the performance enhancing ones but apparently not. Using sRGB, it opens a second faster at least.

I've tested each color profile on macOS while opening Hive and this is how they rank:

Slow:
SMTPE RP
ROMM RGB
Rec. ITU-R 2020-1
LCD PROJECTOR
Display P3
Adobe RGB
ACES CG Linear

Fast:
sRGB
Rec. ITU-R 709
HDMI to VGA
Generic RGB Profile

All the slow ones are similarly slow, all the fast ones are similarly fast, so pick the one that looks best among the fast ones.

Dune3 still loaded instantly on the slow color profile though.

What a trainwreck lol.

Urs
u-he
24361 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 am

cantaloupe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am
What a trainwreck lol.
Absolutely.

We use (and always have) Apple's CoreGraphics framework, which is and always has been "the standard" for visualisation and imaging on OS X. However, they made it really slow as of late, regardless if you do bitmaps or vectors - unless you do very simple vector graphics. This has changed only in recent years, things have been very fast in earlier versions of OS X.

On the other hand, standards like OpenGL are doomed on OS X as they are marked for deprecation. Ironically, UIs programmed using OpenGL still seem to run a lot faster than UIs programmed using CoreGraphics.

Hence, we're a little bit at a loss here. Investing into OpenGL seems futile. Investing into modern low level imaging like Vulcan or Metal seems way beyond the scope of our UIs. Therefore, for the time being we try to get by with CoreGraphics, optimising the shit out of it wherever possible.

cantaloupe
KVRist
65 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks for the information, Urs. It must be frustrating to deal with.

With the correct color profile, this is a non-issue to me personally. But i imagine there are thousands that don't know about that performance fix. It could perhaps be nice to include a line of text about it in the installer or something.

Return to “u-he”