Patch Contest #4

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BradP wrote:I think i'm already done my first patch for this. :box:
:hihi:

You know we haven't yet finalised a defined task - I think it's something like "single patch percussive rhythm sequence", but that is a bit of a mouthful :lol: (Hopefully what you've got fits in with this Brad?)

hakey wrote:- I think it's something like "single patch percussive rhythm sequence",
oops I understood that this *was* the task ?

hellleutel wrote:
hakey wrote:- I think it's something like "single patch percussive rhythm sequence",
oops I understood that this *was* the task ?
I'm 99% sure it will be - it just wasn't finalised. I was kind of waiting until enough people had signed up. On past experience, it's not a good idea to rush into announcing the task before it has properly been discussed (we modified one task twice after it had been officially announced - albeit for a good reason - all the same, it was just a bit shambolic :oops: )

I would say it fits that description. :party:

I think I am almost ready for this (rythmic sequence). One question: How many entries per each participant? Just one, or more than one allowed?

autodafe wrote:I think I am almost ready for this (rythmic sequence). One question: How many entries per each participant? Just one, or more than one allowed?
2 entries! :tu:

So I have a couple questions to ask....

Should I be able to maintain the pitch of the drums regardless of note pressed and if so, how would you do this?

For the contest, should we be including the BPM that we as the creators feel is best for the sequenced rhythm, or should we all consider a decent patch for this contest needs to be great at whatever the user decides to play it at? Or... is this just completely up to the patch creator?

I have one extremely basic patch here: http://www.box.net/shared/na9h2742vm

Don't worry about removing the link for the contest, as this is not my entry, but was hoping someone can take a look at the way I have the tuning mapped to the MSEG, as well as envelope levels and let me know if I'm missing something here.

elxicano wrote:So I have a couple questions to ask....

Should I be able to maintain the pitch of the drums regardless of note pressed and if so, how would you do this?
It's really up to you. If you don't want the keyboard to track the pitch set KeyScale to 0 then set the pitch accordingly with Tune and Detune.
For the contest, should we be including the BPM that we as the creators feel is best for the sequenced rhythm, or should we all consider a decent patch for this contest needs to be great at whatever the user decides to play it at? Or... is this just completely up to the patch creator?
I think the ideal bpm should be included. If I made a drum & bass preset I wouldn't want it to be judged at 60 bpm.
I have one extremely basic patch here: http://www.box.net/shared/na9h2742vm
Don't worry about removing the link for the contest, as this is not my entry, but was hoping someone can take a look at the way I have the tuning mapped to the MSEG, as well as envelope levels and let me know if I'm missing something here.
The MSEG's seem alright. Although your use of the Notes time unit with Attack and Loop cranked up seems a bit odd. It's hard to say without knowing what sound you're going for. What was your host bpm when you made this?

elxicano wrote:Should I be able to maintain the pitch of the drums regardless of note pressed and if so, how would you do this?
That's for you to decided - as Brad says, it's easy enough to turn key tracking off :)
I'd rather keep things as simple as possible and burdening voters with any extra instructions kind of acts against this. It would be easiest if the patches were designed to sound good over a range of bpms. Most sequencers default to 100 or 120 bpm (I think?) so patches that work at around this tempo seems like a sensible idea to me.

All of the interesting rhythm patches in the Zebra Factory bank sound good irrespective of bpm.

The alternative might be to include bpm in the patch name - "Dub Riddim 65bpm" - but as I say, for voting purposes, I'd rather keep things as simple as possible. If more people think that the bpm issue needs addressing I'll certainly reconsider.

Thinking about the bpm thing - you could, of course, use the MSEG for all sequencing duties and set the time units to seconds, so that the seq would play at the same speed regardless of the host's bpm. It would make the patch less usable.

BradP wrote: The MSEG's seem alright. Although your use of the Notes time unit with Attack and Loop cranked up seems a bit odd. It's hard to say without knowing what sound you're going for. What was your host bpm when you made this?
The Attack/Loop turned up was the only way I knew to get it to be synced with my host, which was at 117bpm. Having these set any lower and still using Note, makes for some interesting ramp ups/downs in pitch. This of course before knowing about turning off keyscale. :oops:

Mostly I want more info about ways of triggering the individual parts, but not so much about desired sound as I'm already on my way with a couple alternatives. Not that I wouldn't want help on that, but I don't want to give the secrets away to my masterpiece entry (you can begin laughing here, now :hihi: )

Onto BPM

And sorry for any conflicting thoughts that I may have stirred up regarding BPM. It was very late (or very early in the morning) and all these questions came up, so naturally I asked.

While on BPM's... I'm thinking that there doesn't need to be a rule about it, but maybe a suggestion instead for consideration. Perhaps that will add one more dynamic to the competition, as it will be a tough call on deciding what sounds better... the patch designed to sound good at a specific tempo, or the one designed to sound good at any tempo.

hakey wrote: The alternative might be to include bpm in the patch name - "Dub Riddim 65bpm" - but as I say, for voting purposes, I'd rather keep things as simple as possible. If more people think that the bpm issue needs addressing I'll certainly reconsider.
I guess I also feel pretty strongly that showing an intended BPM is not too complicated (if anyone doesn't know where the BPM control is ...).

I'm including BPM info on my patch, cause it sounds best at certain BPMz...

elxicano wrote:
BradP wrote: The MSEG's seem alright. Although your use of the Notes time unit with Attack and Loop cranked up seems a bit odd. It's hard to say without knowing what sound you're going for. What was your host bpm when you made this?
The Attack/Loop turned up was the only way I knew to get it to be synced with my host, which was at 117bpm.
You could use the arpeggiator to trigger notes, then set the volume of your voice modules to zero and use the MSEGs to increase volume on the beats for which you want those modules to be heard. If that all makes sense?

hakey wrote:
elxicano wrote:
The Attack/Loop turned up was the only way I knew to get it to be synced with my host, which was at 117bpm.
You could use the arpeggiator to trigger notes, then set the volume of your voice modules to zero and use the MSEGs to increase volume on the beats for which you want those modules to be heard. If that all makes sense?
Makes sense... I'll give it a try shortly just to be sure I get it.

Return to “u-he”