Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

You won´t get it.....it will get you :wink:

Will we be able to draw our own envelopes for complicated evolving soundscape sounds, something ala Absynth but much more advanced and with easier organizied GUI?

HcDoom wrote:Will we be able to draw our own envelopes for complicated evolving soundscape sounds, something ala Absynth but much more advanced and with easier organizied GUI?
Check out recently added drawing options in ModMappers (ACE, Bazille, Zebra2). That's a hint at what we're aiming for.

EvilDragon wrote:Be patient.
well thank you! And then I already thought that I missed such an event
Live and learn forever!

Catching up on this thread and I am excited for Zebra 2.8 and Zebra 3! Zebra 2 has had incredible longevity (I still use it. Every. Day.) Something like 10 years I think, in an industry where 2 years is a lifetime. That just shows the care and thought and quality that u-he puts into it.

With the Zebra 3 pricing you are offering Urs, for previous Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ owners...I want to support you guys so I'm going to buy something else at full price. I'm thinking maybe Hive. :D

[quote="clangorous"]Catching up on this thread and I am excited for Zebra 2.8 and Zebra 3! Zebra 2 has had incredible longevity (I still use it. Every. Day.) Something like 10 years I think, in an industry where 2 years is a lifetime. That just shows the care and thought and quality that u-he puts into it.

With the Zebra 3 pricing you are offering Urs, for previous Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ owners...I want to support you guys so I'm going to buy something else at full price. I'm thinking maybe Hive. :D[/quote]

Now there is an idea...

Arthropod wrote:
clangorous wrote:Catching up on this thread and I am excited for Zebra 2.8 and Zebra 3! Zebra 2 has had incredible longevity (I still use it. Every. Day.) Something like 10 years I think, in an industry where 2 years is a lifetime. That just shows the care and thought and quality that u-he puts into it.

With the Zebra 3 pricing you are offering Urs, for previous Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ owners...I want to support you guys so I'm going to buy something else at full price. I'm thinking maybe Hive. :D
Now there is an idea...
OK I demo'd Hive and couldn't resist. It is a beautiful sounding synth. I took the plunge now because once Zebra 3 comes out I won't be able to pull myself away from it. So for now I can learn Hive and "pre-support" Urs and team for Zebra 3.

I also picked up Bazille CM from Computer music (like less than 5 bucks for the magazine issue) and it is a really nice warm sounding synth. It sounds so good I almost went with the full version of Bazille. But that will be for later. Right now I'm going to enjoy the ease of pulling beautiful sounds out of Hive. Happy guy right now :party:

Urs wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:I know about this, still the sound is different, this is very noticable when starting to add filters to zebra.
You just discovered what zero delay feedback filters are about (and clever oscillator detune laws). Zebra3 will have them. :clown:
This will be awesome! :tu:

ZDF School:
https://urs.silvrback.com/zero-delay-feedback

Now just out of curiosity (as I understood nothing of that), what general topics would I need to familiarize myself with in order to have a basic grasp of this article?

Signals and systems, which implies difference equations (discrete version of differential equations), Fourier transforms, etc. etc.

NAD wrote:
Now just out of curiosity (as I understood nothing of that), what general topics would I need to familiarize myself with in order to have a basic grasp of this article?
Well, it's very basic math...

Let's take a function f which repeatedly takes an input value. Let that input value be the result of the previous computation:

y[n] = f( y[n-1] ) <- compute function of previous function result

So far this is simple. You start with y0 = 0, then you compute y1 = f(y0), then you compute y2 = f(y1), y3 = f(y2) and so on.

This means, the input of the function is always the result of one step behind. It's a delay of one sample.

But what if we want to get rid of that sample? We would have to solve, say,

y3 = f(y3), y4 = f(y4)

So the function takes its own result as its input. Mindfuck. But, in case of audio filters, doable.

Urs wrote:
NAD wrote:
So the function takes its own result as its input. Mindfuck. But, in case of audio filters, doable.
This kind of thing is what makes synthesizers such a multifaceted form of creative enjoyment. The concepts behind the components are their own form of wonder and enjoyment (although I'm certainly no engineer, the concepts are beautiful), then the components that these concepts generate like OSC, Operators, Modulations, are another level. Then the sounds produced are another level of mental and creative fun (sound design), and the music we create is another level, and then the experience of listening to a piece is another level. Such a rich world to be immersed in.

The resulting beauty and complexity of it all makes me wonder if principles of complex adaptive systems would be worth trying to apply here. Autopoiesis, autocatalytic sets, simulated annealing...if these ideas could be reduced to something simpler as in Conway's Game of Life, I do wonder if they could have practical application to synthesis. As an example, OSC FX in Zebra seem to be a an area where some of these principles might be worth pursuing.

But ultimately it could be much bigger. It might lead to things like sounds that engineer themselves so to speak, and then compete with each other for existence in the virtual environment based on their own "fitness" for that environment. And they are a part of that environment so it becomes recursive in unpredictable ways.

Why would we care? Because it would be the difference in say engineering the sound of a violin (or an entire orchestra) by accounting for all the variables and phase cancellations (we could call this the Newtonian approach) VS creating an environment where such complex sounds could emerge on their own (non-Newtonian approach). Fanciful and far-fetched yes. But it's easy to wonder if this kind of thinking could bear fruit.

NAD wrote:
An article that references Urs blog on this topic is here:

http://science-of-sound.net/2016/07/zer ... rsampling/

Provides some context that helped me to understand concepts without the math.

Urs wrote:y[n] = f( y[n-1] ) <- compute function of previous function result

So far this is simple. You start with y0 = 0, then you compute y1 = f(y0), then you compute y2 = f(y1), y3 = f(y2) and so on.
Pfft! Well, obviously! Give us something harder next time.

In anticipating for 2.8 update (didn't found zebra2 theme) - is there will be a visual feedback for modulation stuff (2.8 or 3.0)?
🇺🇦

Return to “u-he”