Latest Builds in August: 2570

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
e-modic wrote:I need an undo function in Bazille, I often lose my patch cable and forgot where it was. :-)
Then use it :)
ups, top right there it is :lol: Sorry Urs.
I must say, your FM, phase distortion Modular VST is amazingly great.
Induljon a banzáj!

Wouldn't it be better to have cable colours according to the signal flow instead of just randomly coloured?

(never mind, was a bit frustrated, can't afford new technology cause i'm on minimal disability pay . :( )
Last edited by Slarti on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slarti wrote:I wonder if u-he synths are really well optimized enough to work with older (2-core) processors? i suspect they are not!
I suspect the same thing. I suspect that current compilers automatically optimize for current technologies.
I still get beautiful sounds out of synths of ten years of age with almost no cpu-load! Nowadays everything 'new' is breaking my cpu! Is that progress or just lazy programming?
Yes. I guess that "everything new" does not just relate to our stuff but to anything from developers that are up to date.

Things change. Everything has gone multithreaded, favours branch prediction over outdated paradigms and respects the move to faster memory. At the same time operating systems have adopted malware paranoia that require developers to rethink communication strategies. I don't think it's "lazy" to move on from old concepts to optimize (or develop in general), it is indeed a necessity.

Example: Until 2005 or so, using an if() was a no-no in DSP programming. Because CPUs had bad branch prediction. This has changed, our code nowadays is full of if() statements which makes it much faster. Because branch prediction has become really great.

If you want to use stuff that's optimized for a 6 year old CPU, you need a build that's from the same era. Newer stuff will certainly run, but it won't ignore paradigm changes - and you can't really expect us to write the same code twice, once with ifs and once with a gazillion lookup tables whatsoever.

Cheers,

- Urs

Urs wrote:
Slarti wrote:I wonder if u-he synths are really well optimized enough to work with older (2-core) processors? i suspect they are not!
I suspect the same thing. I suspect that current compilers automatically optimize for current technologies.
I still get beautiful sounds out of synths of ten years of age with almost no cpu-load! Nowadays everything 'new' is breaking my cpu! Is that progress or just lazy programming? :dog:
Yes. I guess that "everything new" does not just relate to our stuff but to anything from developers that are up to date.

Things change. Everything has gone multithreaded, favours branch prediction over outdated paradigms and respects the move to faster memory. At the same time operating systems have adopted malware paranoia that require developers to rethink communication strategies. I don't think it's "lazy" to move on from old concepts to optimize (or develop in general), it is indeed a necessity.

Example: Until 2005 or so, using an if() was a no-no in DSP programming. Because CPUs had bad branch prediction. This has changed, our code nowadays is full of if() statements which makes it much faster. Because branch prediction has become really great.

If you want to use stuff that's optimized for a 6 year old CPU, you need a build that's from the same era. Newer stuff will certainly run, but it won't ignore paradigm changes - and you can't really expect us to write the same code twice, once with ifs and once with a gazillion lookup tables whatsoever.

Cheers,

- Urs
:tu:

Thank goodness for progress and more powerful computers that can run the new generation of soft synths!, which sound so much richer, at least to me they do!
I have pretty much discarded all my old soft synths they seem thin, tinny and uninspiring.
Thank goodness for U-HE that with Diva managed to really capture the older analog sound and hats off to Bazille that has a rich sound quality all its own.

There is Omnisphere out there which sounds really good but it needs a very powerful computer to run it properly with multi layers.

As computers get more powerful in the future I suspect the soft synths of the future will be more powerful and and can handle more complex coding...........Certainly not lazy programming and lazy coding, that comment seemed very lacking of knowledge and not thought out very well, a little asinine actually, an insult to the work that went into U-HE products.

Yep, in Zeebs I noticed if I set a mod to BC or EXP, it will respond to modwheel, breath or expression pedal at the same time. If I set a mod to MW, it responds only to MW. So that's good. But others are borked. :P

EvilDragon wrote:Yep, in Zeebs I noticed if I set a mod to BC or EXP, it will respond to modwheel, breath or expression pedal at the same time. If I set a mod to MW, it responds only to MW. So that's good. But others are borked. :P
Interesting! I'm seeing different, but also broken, behavior. If I set a modulator knob to Breath or Xpress modulation never works when I send Breath, Xpress, Modwheel. When I set a knob to Modwheel everything works fine. If do direct Midi-learn of Breath or Xpress it will modulate a parameter.

(2570, vst2, x64, win)

I'm just testing in Reaper by sending CCs from ReaControlMIDI...

Zeebs fixed here, also Diva uncrashed (Wheels + Arpeggiator On = crash), also everything scaling 10%s

Hope to have new builds soon, and also maybe this:

http://www.u-he.com/img/ace_tease2.png

OK, I'll bite. :) I don't see anything different about ACE in that screenshot...

EDIT: Wait...that's a Linux console....

bmrzycki wrote:EDIT: Wait...that's a Linux console....
Yes it is!

Woooooohooooooo :-)

Fantastic news!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Urs wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:EDIT: Wait...that's a Linux console....
Yes it is!
Curious, do you know if the rececent
Batman was rendered with custom linux engines, and if so,
did some of that inspire this new teaser? I've enjoyed TyrellN6,
Podolski, ZebraCM, even some Diva Magic Flute, using
reaper in wine, or as standalones using fst.
The native linux vsts run well enough in bitwig,
including Dicovery Pro, native U-he releases would be
quite a huge gain for musicians using linux, or wanting
pro instruments available before adding a linux setup.

Check out the Tonespace plugin, it's like a rolling
midi patchbay in linux 8)
Cheers

I'm afraid I still have no clue about Linux, but abique kept offering to do the port, we invited him over and he did a great job. There are a few rough edges to work on, but we're all excited that we now have an alternative should MS or Apple become too much of nuisance.

(though I believe we have to thank the NSA that the Cloud has died before it took off, and therefore small software companies like us still have a decent business model… but that's a whole different story I'll keep for a blog, should I ever feel like blabbing away)

Very excited about the prospect of Linux versions of your software. They are among the tools I miss most since shifting.
+ If this works out commercially for you, there is a good chance others will follow.
Qw, music from twelve weeks in quarantine is now streaming on spotify and bandcamp. This is a collaboration with the the smallest of worlds VR art project, that documents our living spaces in times of isolation. You can join their project here.

Great :-).
Looking forward for linux release :)

Return to “u-he”