DIVA: how do you control Oscillator Detune over MIDI?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to have +/- octave buttons and two center tapped (semi/fine) pots for detune per oscillator on a dedicated hardware synth controller. But after reading this old thread about DIVA controllers:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=345998
i'm not sure it will work that way.

As i understand the issue:
- DIVA has a single detune parameter per oscillator
- that param is visually splitted in octave and detune knobs on DIVA's gui
- there could be a fine tune paramter as well
- BUT: in some situations the detune value jumps unexpected when externally controlled via dedicated oct, semi, fine knobs

What would be the best way to control osc detune in DIVA?

How does detune work in other u-he synths? (Repro or Hive for example)
Last edited by mi-os on Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With MIDI Learn you can set up several controllers to act as octave, semitone and fine control. You can try this with any controller you already have.

Unfortunately, controllers which use the VAT/AU/whatsoever parameter automation system will need to have this kind of stuff as extra option in order to work similarly. I think Automap does, but others maybe don't.

In Repro and Hive we made these separate parameters for octave, semi and fine tune. We also added a "hidden" tune parameter that can be used for modulation with a high resolution over a wide range.

Urs wrote:With MIDI Learn you can set up several controllers to act as octave, semitone and fine control. You can try this with any controller you already have.
Thanks Urs.

Meanwhile i've done a little test. In DIVA i've the octave and detune knobs in middle position so that tune is at 0. Then turning the assigned pots on the controller i get these detune ranges:

OCTAVE
-24 ... 0 ... 24 (octave steps)

SEMITONE
-5.9 ... 0 ... 5.8 (0.1 steps)

FINE
0 ... 0.47 (0.01 steps)

To me it's looks like the semitone stepping is not a halftone per step and the fine pot range is not centered/bipolar? (eg -0.24 ... 0 ... 0.24).

Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Another observation:

When OCTAVE is set to -12 (-1 octave) i get a -12.38 ... -11.91 range when turning the FINE pot. Why is that range not bipolar or symmetric/centered (if that's the right term)?
Last edited by mi-os on Fri May 12, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May i ask if someone can test this on their system or explain that tuning behaviour to me. To me it looks not right.

Thank you very much!

It looks like the FINE/SEMI combo does not interact correctly. FINE resets after every change to SEMI. I think FINE needs to be relative so SEMI and OCTAVE don't change it. The OCTAVE/SEMI combo seem to work otherwise (though i can't get SEMI stepping in halftones).

Please help!

mi-os wrote:To me it's looks like the semitone stepping is not a halftone per step and the fine pot range is not centered/bipolar? (eg -0.24 ... 0 ... 0.24).
Hi mi-os.

Fine tune range not centered: I honestly have no idea why it's working the way it is. Could have been a design decision by the developer who implemented it at the time.
Semitone stepping: Again, no real idea why it is moving in steps of 10 cent instead of switching semitones.
I think I will create a ticket in our bug-tracking system, so one of the developers can check if this stuff is intended to work this way or if it can be improved.

As a workaround, maybe try setting the controller to 'integer' instead of 'semitone' on the MIDI table page of Diva. This way it steps through the semitones, and it also won't reset the fine tune value on each parameter change.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: As a workaround, maybe try setting the controller to 'integer' instead of 'semitone' on the MIDI table page of Diva. This way it steps through the semitones, and it also won't reset the fine tune value on each parameter change.
Thank you for answering.

I tried your suggestion and your're right, the semitone stepping works this way. But unfortunately the semi tone range now exceeds +/- 5 semitones (it's actually +/- 30) and fine tune is resetted in some situtaions nonetheless (for example: if semi hits it's maximum value +30).

I'd be very grateful if you could open a ticket to get a developer looking into this.

mi-os wrote:I'd be very grateful if you could open a ticket to get a developer looking into this.
I'll do so now. Thanks again for making us aware of this. :tu:

tasmaniandevil wrote:
mi-os wrote:I'd be very grateful if you could open a ticket to get a developer looking into this.
I'll do so now. Thanks again for making us aware of this. :tu:
Hi tasmaniandevil, do you have any news?

mi-os wrote:Hi tasmaniandevil, do you have any news?
No, sorry. Developers didn't have time to check this out yet.

Is a fix in the making?

Sorry, but not right now. Everybody is currently extremely busy with various projects (new preset browser, Repro-5, Zebra 2.8, ...), there is just no time left to look at other issues atm.

Return to “u-he”