Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

You have eagle eyes :eek:
Seems strange that the script works with that " missing on line 6 if the Info comment is removed, or shortened. Hopefully the release version will have improved error messages.

I put the missing " on line 6 and the script does indeed work fine with the full Info comment.

Delta Sign wrote:The preset I promised to post some time ago. Just copy the "Delta Sign" folder into your wavetable folder and the preset in your presets folder.
Play with the mod- and pitchwheel to get the most out of the preset :)
Thanks for sharing! I spent a fair while with some keys held down moving the pitch and mod wheel around.
I'm still a noob with all of this, I actually only just bought Hive mainly because of the uhm scripting feature :D

Wavetable unison set to 4 - I've been doing that too :tu:

Going to study how you've routed the modulation. I noticed you've set the LFO restart to gate, and 3 of the envelopes are triggered by the LFOs. LFO2 modulating the rates of the LFOs, The Amp is modulating the depth of the osc1 sub, which is modulated by the MOD1 envelope, which is triggered by LFO2... :o
The ModWheel is adjusting the envelope attacks and WT position.

Thanks again for sharing, this is a very expressive and evolving patch and gives me a glimpse into the sound design of complex Hive patches.

Yeah, it's a fairly complex patch, but it all makes sense when you just think of what each element is supposed to do, I hope. None of those modulations are there just for the sake of it. It don't like it when patches are complex just for the sake of it. I always try to keep everything as simple as possible, which wasn't very simple with this particular patch :hihi:
I was mainly trying to get that granular feel with that patch.

Anyway, here is a synth choir (I love synth choirs) sound I made in Hive that uses one simple 2 frame wavetable I made with the Zebra export feature and one wavetable I scripted:

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/hive-wavetable-test-08

That is solid. :D Where did the gate come from?
Delta Sign wrote:Yeah, it's a fairly complex patch, ...

dlarseninclusive wrote:That is solid. :D Where did the gate come from?
In the choir thing? That's the Hive sequencer used as a "trance gate", as is tradition on synth choir sounds :hihi:
It's brought in via the modwheel.

Sorry for posting something that does not really add any useful information here, but I just couldn’t keep silent: this has to be the coolest thing since, like, ever. I still haven’t had the opportunity to try it (although I have read every post & tutorial & listened to demos), but will do it asap. I have some equations I wrote for Serum, and can’t wait to try them with Hive. For some reason, writing actual code usually feels more natural to me than some more ”visual” approaches. Scripting + math + sounds = win!

Captain wrote:Sorry for posting something that does not really add any useful information here, but I just couldn’t keep silent: this has to be the coolest thing since, like, ever. I still haven’t had the opportunity to try it (although I have read every post & tutorial & listened to demos), but will do it asap. I have some equations I wrote for Serum, and can’t wait to try them with Hive. For some reason, writing actual code usually feels more natural to me than some more ”visual” approaches. Scripting + math + sounds = win!
Thank you! Looking forward to your input 8)

brick wrote:Awesome update, cheers to the folks at u-he !

@cnt , you can make your own wavetables with this :

http://synthtech.com/waveedit/
Thanks! What a great tool from Synthtech (I own some of their eurorack modules).
I have played around and notice that the result of importing wav sounds really crappy, maybe I can describe it as "noise/flutter". I tried using both interpolation and without.
This is inside WaveEdit only. Can I expect it playback in Hive to be different/better?

Urs, do you can write me in PM?
I have some questions.

cnt wrote: Thanks! What a great tool from Synthtech (I own some of their eurorack modules).
I have played around and notice that the result of importing wav sounds really crappy, maybe I can describe it as "noise/flutter". I tried using both interpolation and without.
This is inside WaveEdit only. Can I expect it playback in Hive to be different/better?
WaveEdit is more oriented to create wavetables out of single cycle waves (using additive synthesis to build them). Resynthesizing (which is what importing WAV sounds is about) is not very good in it. Actually, even in Serum, you cannot expect good results directly. You have to be very careful with the way you import the sound files and still edit the wavetable afterward.

IMO, the best to resynthesize is Icarus, from Tone 2. Waldorf Nave also produces very good results with resynthesis, but its wavetables are not WAV format.
Fernando (FMR)

:tu: :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Totally took it up a level, and I like gating in general. Cool sound.
Delta Sign wrote:
dlarseninclusive wrote:That is solid. :D Where did the gate come from?
In the choir thing? That's the Hive sequencer used as a "trance gate", as is tradition on synth choir sounds :hihi:
It's brought in via the modwheel.

Fmr:

IMO, the best to resynthesize is Icarus, from Tone 2. Waldorf Nave also produces very good results with resynthesis, but its wavetables are not WAV format.

Rapid, by parawave is also excellent, better than Icarus and serum for me.
( and i like and use them a lot)

Thanks Urs, a formula parser is the best for creative and clean wavetables.

Resynthesize is nice and quick, but, the best results come from maths, not the module...

For creative use, starting from an existing wave and apply some formulas for deform the wave is the best: a spectral fx printer !

The good thing and innovative feature, in vsti, is your Multi table !

Can't wait to play with it. :tu:
Cheers
Nico
Best
YY

Pure-fire wrote:Urs, do you can write me in PM?
I have some questions.
Sorry, as much as I enjoy posting here, I can't do 1:1 support. For questions you'd prefer handled privately, please contact our support staff.

Just had to say thank you to Urs and Team! Your work on Hive is really paying off, absolutely fantastic!

30 seconds of testing and already made Skrillex-worthy woobles :hyper: :tu:

I think I am going back to electro house when this is released

Return to “u-he”