Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I have really enjoyed testing this new effect, I am fascinated with the modeling tech for this spring reverb effect, and I am appreciative of the explanations about how it works behind the face plate.

This effect does seem particularly prone to sounding muddy and congested, and it can seem like a struggle to get a rich effect while clearing out the lower mid range. Reducing the decay and density settings can be helpful. I have noticed that the low mid distortion seems internal to the dsp. In other words, even when the input and output levels are conservative, it seems easy to create a scenario where the intermediary stages are over driven, distorting, and creating a woofy, congested, muddy tonality that is unfamiliar, and perhaps undesirable.

This impression is promoted by the way the mix knob works to lower the dry signal while you add the wet. With many reverb effects you can stack on the wet while maintaining the brightness of the dry signal. With Twangstrom's Mix function, as you increase the wet you are rapidly decreasing the upper mid and high range output.

It seems, to me, that using this topology to achieve the 100% Wet capability, that enables Twangstrom to serve as a bus effect, diminishes the best use of this dsp as an instrument or track effect. Spring reverb is a very popular instrument or track effect. This is how I have been testing it, because this is how I intend to use it, but with the current Mix configuration it seems as if I will want to set up a parallel 100% wet signal so that I may adjust the level of effect without deprecating the bright dry signal. It seems unfortunate, because each instance of spring reverb is likely to be instrument specific, and unlikely to be shared.

It is admittedly possible to use the current Mix function to find a balance point that is suitable for any particular type of signal, but it requires very specific placement on the Mix knob's arc. IMHO If the wet was added to the dry signal, while the dry signal remained constant, the function would seem a lot more forgiving and there would seem to be a wider range of suitable sweet spot adjustment.

I have enjoyed the beta so much that I have crafted a custom skin for my personal use:

Thank you.
Last edited by D2sX9ek8w3 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I tested the Twangström with the new Version of HIVE and I liked a lot what I hear. So much character, noise and power. I love it with all the modulation options it has it´s great for sculpting ambient presets. When you send only a tiny bit of a sound into it you literally can do whole soundscapes with Twangström and Twangström gets the main instrument here. I am fascinated with the richness, deepness and the "original" spring sound-emulation. Just awesome. It´s really fun to pull the strings manually too. Thank you so much for making a small dream come true (I mean who really can efford to have a real spring reverb at home?). :party: :tu:

The Sound is deep and most of the time muffled and noisy but I like that very much in usage with all the too clean synthetic stuff. I can´t give any advice for Beta phase and I didn´t find a bug so far. Runs super smooth.

Have a nice christmas time :)

nichttuntun wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm The Sound is deep and most of the time muffled and noisy
I have implemented a 'bright' mode for the tank today, which doubles the tank's internal sample rate and thus widens the natural spectrum up to 11-12kHz. The general texture remains but there is way more sparkle. And when you shake it up it's night & day. Comes at a price of ~30% more CPU, but I'm pretty sure you guys will love it.
We have to put it through its paces, along with other pending work on this project, and it might therefore be after Christmas break that you can find out. But I'm sure it'll be worth it.

BTW, thanks so much for everybody here being involved and giving feedback! :) :hug:
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

thanks ! :clap:

looking forward...

btw: BP is good imho, brightens up well :-)

:party: :tu: :party:

:hug:

Thank you for all your hard work!

Linux version updated in first post as well!

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03 pm Linux version updated in first post as well!
Thanks a lot Urs, Abique & team, highly appreciated!

Hey, how do you pronounce the title? :)
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

Cool plug, digging it. Nice for ambient drones and pads when you turn the tension down and the decay up, and a little modulation on the tension and filter frequency, good stuff...

Couple things:

1. I'm pretty ignorant of spring reverbs, but is it normal that when the input isn't turned down, it produces that high pitched warbly sound of the springs moving laterally (the same sound like when you manually twang them)?

2. There's a bug in FL Studio where if the plugin is in the background (e.g. partially hidden behind the mixer) and you try to click on the GUI nothing happens and it doesn't spring to the top of the window stack.

Vospi wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm Hey, how do you pronounce the title? :)
I THINK it's :
Twehng Shtroom

Twang="a harsh quick ringing sound like that of a plucked string"
Strom=electricity (in German)

That's what it looks to me, at least... (translated in google)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Twang-shtröhm. You need to read up about the "ö".

didn't we discuss this here already?

"twang" is the synonym of the sound of telecaster/rickenbacker guitars
i suppose in re surfguitar style, which used springreverbs

and the "ström" part comes from angstrom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m

which is swedish coming from mr. angström
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Jo ... str%C3%B6m

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:37 pm
nichttuntun wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm The Sound is deep and most of the time muffled and noisy
I have implemented a 'bright' mode for the tank today, which doubles the tank's internal sample rate and thus widens the natural spectrum up to 11-12kHz. The general texture remains but there is way more sparkle. And when you shake it up it's night & day. Comes at a price of ~30% more CPU, but I'm pretty sure you guys will love it.
We have to put it through its paces, along with other pending work on this project, and it might therefore be after Christmas break that you can find out. But I'm sure it'll be worth it.

BTW, thanks so much for everybody here being involved and giving feedback! :) :hug:
Thanks Sascha! Gonna push this to my mixing buddies after the sparkle update. Its is already amazing and I think they're gonna love it.

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:37 pm BTW, thanks so much for everybody here being involved and giving feedback! :) :hug:
Gotta love U-He not only for their products but also for their customer communication! :clap:

Return to “u-he”