Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:50 am(and we do want to do a few other updates in-between, Bazille, ACE, Uhbik, mostly for maintenance)
How about the Zebra HZ update with Diva filter modules up with the rest of the filter modules, etc? :wink:

Good topic. I'm trying hard to convinсe myself (with varied success) that I don't need Hive 2 because I own Dune3 and Massive X. There is something in the sound of Hive2 I quite like, especially the wavetable part.

The sound at 5:50 is so cool :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwhpI_0OuY

So far my best argument is that I'm not going to buy a synth that doesn't have FM or audio rate modulation for the oscillators.

Can Hive do vowel sounds, i guess there might be special wavetables for that? (please tell me it can't)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 am Good topic. I'm trying hard to convinсe myself (with varied success) that I don't need Hive 2 because I own Dune3 and Massive X. There is something in the sound of Hive2 I quite like, especially the wavetable part.

So far my best argument is that I'm not going to buy a synth that doesn't have FM or audio rate modulation for the oscillators.

Can Hive do vowel sounds, i guess there might be special wavetables for that? (please tell me it can't)
Sorry (to you and your wallet :lol:) , Hive has some really nice formant/vowel wavetables, parallel filter routing and a decent distortion unit, that all make for great vowel sounds.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:48 am
recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 am Good topic. I'm trying hard to convinсe myself (with varied success) that I don't need Hive 2 because I own Dune3 and Massive X. There is something in the sound of Hive2 I quite like, especially the wavetable part.

Sorry (to you and your wallet :lol:) , Hive has some really nice formant/vowel wavetables, parallel filter routing and a decent distortion unit, that all make for great vowel sounds.
Says the guy who makes psytrance, iirc, and apaprently knows what vowel sounds may be needed in this context.

Well, i didn't see this post :scared:

recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 amSo far my best argument is that I'm not going to buy a synth that doesn't have FM or audio rate modulation for the oscillators.
Obviously, Massive X has amazing audio rate sounds. not sure if you'd need Hive for that even if we added FM or anything to it.

Paradoxically though, I find that some of the classic FM sounds sound a lot better in Hive than in dedicated FM synths. When creating wavetables based on FM, there simply are no inharmonic aliasing artifacts.

Apart from that, my resistance against some audio rate stuff or other means for inharmonic sounds in Hive has been crumbling. We are evaluating minimal, unintrusive surgeries to make things like that happen.

recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 am
PieBerger wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:48 am

Says the guy who makes psytrance, iirc, and apaprently knows what vowel sounds may be needed in this context.

Well, i didn't see this post :scared:
You remembered correct and yes Hive is great for "those" psy vowel leads, but you didn't read that here :borg:
Always Read the Manual!

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am Apart from that, my resistance against some audio rate stuff or other means for inharmonic sounds in Hive has been crumbling. We are evaluating minimal, unintrusive surgeries to make things like that happen.
Hive is my favourite and most used synth and while I wouldn't be dissappointed in the slightest if stayed as it is, I would welcome audio rate stuff with arms wide open, even if it was just the ability to use the basic the sub oscillator as modulator with the basic/analog waveforms :D
Last edited by PieBerger on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Read the Manual!

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am
recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 amSo far my best argument is that I'm not going to buy a synth that doesn't have FM or audio rate modulation for the oscillators.
Obviously, Massive X has amazing audio rate sounds. not sure if you'd need Hive for that even if we added FM or anything to it.

Paradoxically though, I find that some of the classic FM sounds sound a lot better in Hive than in dedicated FM synths. When creating wavetables based on FM, there simply are no inharmonic aliasing artifacts.

Apart from that, my resistance against some audio rate stuff or other means for inharmonic sounds in Hive has been crumbling. We are evaluating minimal, unintrusive surgeries to make things like that happen.
I don't mean I want Hive to become a dedicated FM synth but basic FM-ing may add some interesting textures to subtractive/wavetable sounds. It might be just one knob in the osc section, e.g., for FMing the oscillator from its sub. I don't think something like that would break the "less and more" concept.

Some of the users may actually need inharmonic sounds (psytrance and such, not everyone makes smooth ambient/synthwave stuff :wink: )

Well, I finally listened to some other synth's often mentioned "other" filter types and I think we could do much more with a lot fewer options (hey, we have two filters, so there's a whole extra universe of combinations right there!).

Regarding vowel filters, apart from wavetables of course we do have two filters. Set filter 1 to 12dB Lowpass, route through filter 2 set to Peaking and dial in some formants right there. Works great with modulation from the Shape Sequencer for some spoke-word type of stuff. Also crossfade input between noise and dense sawtooth spectrum for good measure.

PieBerger wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am Apart from that, my resistance against some audio rate stuff or other means for inharmonic sounds in Hive has been crumbling. We are evaluating minimal, unintrusive surgeries to make things like that happen.
Hive is my favourite and most used synth and while I wouldn't be dissappointed in the slightest if stayed as it is, I would welcome audio rate stuff with arms wide open, even if it was just the ability to use the basic the sub oscillator as modulator with the basic/analog waveforms :D
Edit: strike
Always Read the Manual!

Doublepost (edit/quote finger trouble :dog: )
Always Read the Manual!

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am Paradoxically though, I find that some of the classic FM sounds sound a lot better in Hive than in dedicated FM synths. When creating wavetables based on FM, there simply are no inharmonic aliasing artifacts.
Yeah... there is a unique clarity to the FM wavetables... a pure clear tone that does not sound sterile.

Could someone point me the factory wavetables focused on FM and formant/vowel stuff, or the factory presets utilizing them? Our perhaps someone has audio examples?

Speaking of audio examples, I was browsing Hive preset videos today and most of them appear to be focused on synthwave/chillwave/whatever wave... or ambient/cinematic and such. They all sound cool but I want to hear something more edgy and agressive, useful for psytrance, goa, dubstep, industiral etc. Is there any such stuff on youtube or elsewhere? I'm curious to hear what Hive is capable of beyond all these mellow pads/plucks and various 80's stuff.

recursive one wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:15 pm Could someone point me the factory wavetables focused on FM and formant/vowel stuff, or the factory presets utilizing them? Our perhaps someone has audio examples?

Speaking of audio examples, I was browsing Hive preset videos today and most of them appear to be focused on synthwave/chillwave/whatever wave... or ambient/cinematic and such. They all sound cool but I want to hear something more edgy and agressive, useful for psytrance, goa, dubstep, industiral etc. Is there any such stuff on youtube or elsewhere? I'm curious to hear what Hive is capable of beyond all these mellow pads/plucks and various 80's stuff.
I'll upload some of my homebrewed presets for you to check out if you like :) . In the meantime here is a track I made *mostly in Hive with a few sounds in RePro using Hive 2* (kick is Kick2, drums are samples).

*Edit

https://soundcloud.com/hypometric/conjo ... 08/s-ctz8q
Last edited by PieBerger on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Read the Manual!

Now that sounds VERY cool :tu:

Love these metallic leads in the second half, hard to believe it was made with a synth not capable of FM.

Return to “u-he”