Garageband Podolski plug-in help

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've downloaded Podolski. I'm using the latest version of Garageband and the latest version of Catalina (Mac OS), and despite being able to locate the u-he Podolski plug-in in Garageband, it will not successfully load it. I get a message that says I am running low on memory (which is untrue, I've had Activity Monitor open and it does not even come close to reaching 8GB usage out of the 16GB I have available.

The second message that pops up says 'Audio Unit Plug-In Can't Be Used': The Audio Unit “Podolski” could not be loaded for your project, and may need to be updated. Contact the manufacturer for an updated version or further assistance.

I've cleared both caches deleted them and emptied my trash, but the AU Instrument plug-in still won't work.

Caches aren't the problem, memory isn't the problem, software updates aren't the problem. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I've spent 4+ hours trying to resolve the issue, and even cleared up a bunch of space on my laptop to make sure it's not overloaded.

When did you download it? There have been recent updates to u-he plugins.

I just downloaded Podolski yesterday and re-downloaded again today. I verified that my programs are all the most updated version, too.

No problems with other u-he plugins for me in GarageBand in Catalina, so it may be just Podolski.

Maybe see if anyone from u-he can respond on this one, but as they’re CET it will probably not be for some hours yet.

Hi garagebandgirl,

it seems you are having trouble with Garageband, rather than with Podolski.
For some reason Garageband "thinks" that there is not enough memory available.

I googled a bit, and Garageband throwing the "out of memory" warning seems to be a thing that can happen with this host.
Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this while researching it.

But some ideas what you could try:

* Shut down your Mac for a few minutes, then boot it up again, just so your RAM will be "fresh" again.

* There was one guy suggesting that pretty much all problems that happen within Garageband can be solved by deleting the Garageband.app from your Applications folder, and then simply installing it again, by downloading it from the App store. So this might be worth a try.

About the second error message, "the plugin could not be loaded ...":

This happens because Garageband is sandboxed, and the first time you load the plugin, it should display a dialog window, telling you that you need to lower the security settings of Garageband for the plugin to work.

I can only guess that this dialog did not show up because of your other problem with the memory.

I assume you have downloaded the latest version 1.2.2 (revision 9724) of Podolski, and that you are using Garageband 10.3.4. Is this correct?
I am asking because an older version of Garageband had a bug which would prevent our plugins from being loaded. This was fixed in Garageband 10.3.1.

To make the security warning dialog appear again, you will have to delete one file.
To do so, please launch the Terminal app, and enter the following line:

Code: Select all

defaults delete com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper app.com.apple.garageband10
Then hit Enter, and close the Terminal app.
Now start Garageband, and when you load Podolski, the "lower security settings" dialog should appear. Accept to lower the settings, and from then on you should be able to use Podolski.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Return to “u-he”