File Locations

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay peeps, I've got a question regarding the exact locations and requirements for all my various U-he file folders. I seem to have stuff all over the place, some of which I think shouldn;t be there or perhaps got located there in the past before I got more adeot at organizing everything.
First up, my system and what software I am using: Windows7, using Reason 10.4 as my main DAW and Cubase Artist 8.5 64 bit, which has now basically become my VST folder location for a few reasons.

I haven't bothered ever downloading the AAS stuff.
So I get putting the 32 bit into the Program(68), the 64 into the Cubase VST.
I see all the data file folders plus the Common folder listed in this path: Local Disk (C)> VstPlugins>u-he. The VST3 looks to be here: Local Disk (C)>Program Files>Common Files. The .dll files are Local Disk (C)>Program Files>Steniberg>Cubase 8.5>VSTPlugins which also contains the shortcuts to the data folders at the top of the list. I think those are everything I should need to run my Bazille, MFM2, Protoverb, Repro Zebra and Zebralette, right? Also, could I not move all the VST stuff into Steinberg>Cubase 8.5>VST3 instead? I really want to streamline everything and moving that seems like it makes sense.

The recommended locations (for Windows) are:

1. Data folders for U-he plugins in \[User Name]\Documents\U-he

...if you can afford the space on your system drive, this gets all the resources in a nice tidy space, and it's a folder you're probably backing up. If your system drive is an SSD, it will also make scanning presets faster than say a secondary, non-SSD drive, and load GUI resources more quickly. The downside is system drives are generally smaller and if you own a lot of U-he plugins with third party skins and lots of presets, you can end up with a lot of disk space getting gobbled up. According to File Explorer, I'm at +14GB for all my U-he plugins. :eek:

2. VST plugins...put em in your VST Plugins\U-he\

...no need for sub-folders. The only things in that folder would be the .dll files so nice and tidy.

3. VST3 plugins...put em where VST3 plugins go.

Steinberg doesn't want you changing this. Just let it happen.

I should note: if you want to move things around....backup your data folders or any custom themes/presets, uninstall everything, then carefully reinstall your U-he plugins making sure everything goes exactly where you want. The installer may find the old locations hence the "carefully" part.

Thanks FET. No worries, a 1 TB Samnsung SSD for my C drive stuff and I store lots of other stuff on my 1 TB E drive.
I am going to do a thorough search for all u-he associated files and get all this cleaned up. I really like order with all my stuff and at times owning a lot of other VSTs, it can be frustrating that they have so many varying methods of file locations. Now that I am better versed the last few years of acquiring a lot and looking at how things are done by each company, plus that you're usually given options as to where things are located, I've become a lot more orderly about my organization. I've been meaning to ask this for a while but life/composing keeps getting in the way. Thanks again though. I figured it would be one of the most adroit of our crowd who'd give an orderly answer. lol

I literally did the same thing last weekend with my .data folders so was happy to share what I found!

Return to “u-he”