DIVA Midi Learn bug? OSC2: Detune+Octave buttons are hard-linked

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In DIVA's MIDI Learn window the knobs of 2nd oscillator's DETUNE and OCTAVE are linked! Why is this?
Is this a bug? I attached a screenshot showing the two knobs. When I klick on one of them, they are both highlighted.

Best regards, Steffen.

P.S.: This is not due to the altered skin. It is shown on DIVA's original "red wood" as well.

____

Win 10, Ableton Live 10, Diva 1.4.4. REV 9707
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lyhrus on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's the same parameter, just different knobs. You can MIDI Learn them to two different CCs and have one move in octaves, while the other moves in smaller steps.

Great, Urs. Solved. Thanks for the fast support!

Urs wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:09 pm It's the same parameter, just different knobs. You can MIDI Learn them to two different CCs and have one move in octaves, while the other moves in smaller steps.
May I re-open this, please. I quit Midi Learn (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=420737) and work on with linking the device's parameters to hardware knobs in Ableton Live via 'Configure‘ instead.
I don't know exactly why you decided to hard-link those two knobs, though I got how it works. But stepping to another octave while fine tuning it at the same time is useless in concert situations. Is there a way / work-around to get those two knobs separated to the parameters box in Ableton Live somehow?

Lyhrus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:48 am
Urs wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:09 pm It's the same parameter, just different knobs. You can MIDI Learn them to two different CCs and have one move in octaves, while the other moves in smaller steps.
May I re-open this, please. I quit Midi Learn (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=420737) and work on with linking the device's parameters to hardware knobs in Ableton Live via 'Configure‘ instead.
I don't know exactly why you decided to hard-link those two knobs, though I got how it works. But stepping to another octave while fine tuning it at the same time is useless in concert situations. Is there a way / work-around to get those two knobs separated to the parameters box in Ableton Live somehow?
I'll try to fix this outside of DIVA using Midi tools in Ableton Live.

When hosts map MIDI to parameters it's usually done through automatable parameters. So to be precise, it's not MIDI Learn within our plug-ins, it's actually parameter automation. Conceptually automation is traditionally a production technique, not a live performance solution, whereas MIDI is. For a production technique, a single continuous parameter is vastly favourable over separate parameters for octaves, semitones and cents. For live performance or sound design, our built-in MIDI solution works rather well - but only if it's used via MIDI directly, not via any host interface.

Urs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:59 pm When hosts map MIDI to parameters it's usually done through automatable parameters. So to be precise, it's not MIDI Learn within our plug-ins, it's actually parameter automation. Conceptually automation is traditionally a production technique, not a live performance solution, whereas MIDI is. For a production technique, a single continuous parameter is vastly favourable over separate parameters for octaves, semitones and cents. For live performance or sound design, our built-in MIDI solution works rather well - but only if it's used via MIDI directly, not via any host interface.
After dealing some time with these demands, I agree: one has to get clear which item of the chain is responsible best for a certain job. You separated and assigned those different approaches very precisely.

Return to “u-he”