Music programming language

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you please create a music programming language?
Last edited by nerd on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerd wrote:Can you please create a music programming language?
Possibly... but what exactly are the specifications? How would a "music programming language" be different from a generic programming language? Got any ideas what the syntax & language constructs are? What exactly comes out? Yeah music, but in what form? As midi sequences maybe?

You think about that some more until you can articulate what should be built, then come back pleas. Ok?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Literally no-one has ever done that. Oh, wait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _languages

Reaktor is an audio programming language too, even if it's visual, the graph you're creating IS the equivalent of an abstract syntax tree.

Supercollider

IRCAM OpenMusic
Fernando (FMR)

BertKoor wrote:
Possibly... but what exactly are the specifications? How would a "music programming language" be different from a generic programming language? Got any ideas what the syntax & language constructs are? What exactly comes out? Yeah music, but in what form? As midi sequences maybe?

You think about that some more until you can articulate what should be built, then come back pleas. Ok?
Specs: It doesn't put significant portions of its functionality into the IDE. You can use just the language per se. And the music output is similar to the music output of other, modern music softwares. :)
Last edited by nerd on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerd wrote:
BertKoor wrote:

Specs: It doesn't put significant portions of its functionality into the IDE. You can use the language per se. And the output is similar to other, modern music softwares. :)

Captain Picard wrote:Computer, play a slow blues in G please, with a Hammond and Les Paul through a Marshall.
Would that be your target?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yes, this sounds great. :)

Although, my intent was not to make it maybe a little absurd, but close the gap between the existing languages and the possibilities of a commonly used DAWs on PC.

BertKoor wrote:
nerd wrote:How would a "music programming language" be different from a generic programming language? Got any ideas what the syntax & language constructs are?
The music programming language should follow a lot of rules of spoken languages, maybe like SQL which also feels quite natural.

The syntax could be concurrency-based as in music there are always the two dimensions timeline and track list. I did have a start once with stackless python and a simple wait command. "wait 1" waits one unit (a beat probably).

But I had the thought that you were already inspired to create something, too. And usually the plugins made by the people here are of so good quality that I thought they better decide themselves what a music language would be.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”