Will Lee Bass Library Vol 1

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had an awful time acquiring this, as there is a LOT of confusion on some sites about this product and which versions contain what. For example, the guys at MTLC music even had problems chasing this stuff down and they deal directly with Big Fish. I ordered the Ultimate Freakin Bass (Akai), which was supposed to contain the sampled basses, per the description. However, it turns out that this one does NOT have the samples. I had to get volume 1, which was much cheaper. (I wouldn't have paid extra for the Akai samples had the description not been mis-marked.) Anyway, watch out for this! One version claims that 11 sampled basses are included; another claims "all 6"; and some versions don't even come with them- go figure! I was told that Sampleheadz is not more...couldn't find their site either.

Once I got them, I thought I had acquired something that might be great...big disappointment. There are a lot of bad notes; artifacts in some notes (in the middle of the sample); no mapping info. Has anyone out there been successful with this lib?

Would anyone happen to have some good mapping info for multi-velocity basses? I'm looking at where to stick x-notes, drops, and some. Any help would certainly be appreciated. I'd be happy to exchange info that I have gathered (i.e. bad notes; caveats, etc...), as well.

FYI: I wasn't able to come up with anything on this Sampleheadz lib...shame and a sin. One person asked a question on this lib at Northen Songs- no reply. There are obviously some good basses on here, however, there's work to be done. Perhaps, this has to do with the fact that this was done in '95?

I know my reply is too old to help this OP but it may help someone else. It sounds as if this OP got his hands on one of the many bootlegs that were circulated at that time.

I have both the sample CD's of which he speaks of and they contain EVERYTHING recorded in pristine quality (for that time).

"Ultra Freakin' Bass" always consisted of 2 discs, disc one: of loops and performances and disc 2: of individual note samples from 6 basses: Sadowsky 4-string, Pedulla 8-String fretless, Spector 4-string, Fender Jazz fretless and a Yamaha 5-string acoustic fretless...

I also confirmed this with Will Lee when I had the opportunity to meet him "back in the day".

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”