IK T-RackS collections

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

djscorb wrote: I might even consider updating my IK products to CS if the API 2500 was in the offing!
And I will definitely consider installing all my IK stuff again and buying various of their new plug-ins - as soon as I'm no longer forced to install and use the CS along with the plug-ins. And from what I've been reading about this topic during the last year, there'd be lots of people following me.

@Theo and Novalis: I absolutely agree with you concerning the White 2A. IMHO, this is one of the best VST comps around, it's so smooth, powerful, and punchy at the same time.

Please IK - do give all those people driven to despair a possibility to install your great plug-ins without the CS again. :help:

What exactly is wrong with Custom Shop? Nothing is installed except a browser to find, try, buy, or restore the gear in AmpliTube and T-RackS. I think there's some misunderstanding about what Custom Shop really is and what it does (or really does not) do. It is simply like Authorization Manager - or if you want a non-IK example Service Manager.

Peter

You know full well what many users have against custom shop and there is no need to drag it all up again as it's been discussed in depth already.

If there was nothing wrong with it there wouldn't be so many existing IK customers such as myself boycotting the CS system.

If you really can't remember then go re-read the precision comp thread again.

:roll:
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

CS is a fail. Too bad, since IK plug-in's are great.

I didn't drag anything up - others did, and my question is legitimate and I point out exactly what Custom Shop is and what it isn't in a few sentences (if that). I remember quite well and again I answer in a few sentences quite clearly to show that I do. I'm sorry that some don't agree with Custom Shop for whatever reason, but it is merely what I state it is and in no way the evil thing some would like to paint it to be.

That's not to say that we won't evolve Custom Shop based on some great suggestions we've heard and that is the great part about getting feedback. Of course not everything will be implemented and there's no way to make every single person happy, but we don't do it blindly and we certainly won't be tossing the whole thing out with the bathwater. Of course some people will not like a product or component like Custom Shop and it would be great to see changes that bring those that choose not to use products with Custom Shop functionality on board with those products.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:What exactly is wrong with Custom Shop? Nothing is installed except a browser to find, try, buy, or restore the gear in AmpliTube and T-RackS.
Let me tell you what I think is wrong, even if other people may have different reasons: Installing the plug-ins without this marketing and shopping environment around it should be the normal installation procedure. For those who fancy the idea of a 24/7 IK online shop in their system, there should an option during the installation procedure to install the Custom Shop as well. But those of us who simply want to install and use good plug-ins shouldn't be forced to install something they don't want.

I don't want to restore anything - I want to install and use the plug-ins I need.

So many people have objected against this forced CS installation. When will the responsible manager(s) finally listen to what their customers want?

From a business point of view, I fully understand the manager's perspective: a 24/7 online shop with the constant possibility of demoing and purchasing whatever product. This seems to have become a regular way of thinking in today's world, especially with the young smartphone generation.

But - and this is my main argument - not all of us want total availability in a world of total control. Best regards to the staff of the NSA reading this post, by the way. 8)

There is a really simple solution: Make the CS installation optional, and you'll have lots of frustrated ex-users jumping back on the IK train...

Peter,

Great to hear that there is more great ideas in the works, including possible API models. I don't think it has to be the 2500. API has at least two or three stunning compressors.

2013 is turning out to be an impressive year for IK (the Bus Compressor and Precision Compressor are phenomenal) and I'm really enthused about what the future holds.

Cheers,

AC

Skorpius wrote: So many people have objected against this forced CS installation. When will the responsible manager(s) finally listen to what their customers want?
:tu:

Short memory Peter? We've discussed my experience and comments on the CS.
When you guys fix it or ditch it I'll be back, until then ex-customer...

It doesn't bother me so much, but I think the thing that people don't like about Custom Shop is that it's a store within a plugin. It's too invasive for a lot of users. If the Custom Shop were just a section of the IK website where you can purchase the plugins and install the "normal" way it might satisfy a lot of people.

Anyway, looking forward to participating in this group buy next week when I get paid!

Ok, I will re-iterate what I don't like about the CS concept:

1. The licences for singles are now NFR whereas before they weren't.

2. If your DAW is offline it's a pain.

3. You have to contend with IK's currency of "gear credits" and there is no 60 or 100 credit pack meaning you have to buy the 20 gear credit pack in addition to an 80 to buy a 100 credit plugin which is stupid and represents the lowest value for money of all the gear packs.

4. It isn't custom at all. One huge installer and no ability to customise the installation meaning existing stable plugins get overwritten when all you want is to demo one single proecessor.

5. I don't want a store connected to my DAW because it's invasive and pointless as my DAW is not connected to the net.

---

No other software I use is as annoying as this and it's clear I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I never even got to demo the precision bus compressor for the above reasons which is a shame as I really wanted to.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Here you go, Peter. This should be enough arguments to answer your question and to finally change something about this issue, don't you think?

I don't really understand this CS bashing - altough I'm not a big fan of it either.

You install your plug-ins into your VST plug-in folder through the CS, and that was it. After that you can use the plugs just like any other plugs you have.

CS is simply sitting there on your hard drive. How does that harm you?
You don't need to ever launch it again, unless you want to buy or try something new.
But for working, you don't need the CS at all... you also don't need to be connected to the internet.

The main thing which annoys me most, is the fact, that all plug-ins you used in the past don't load in your DAW, because they all got renamed.
So in all your older projects you have to re-load all T-RackS plug-ins, and set them up again.
That was not a smart move by IK, to say the least. :x

Now, should IK decide to abandon the CS concept (and this is very much possible), the plug-ins will most likely be renamed again, so you'll have the same mess again :-o

If the plugs are now NFR, that sucks too, I agree.
And I'd also prefer to have prices in real money instead of the credits.
That concept reminds me of some sites with adult content :hihi:
Last edited by Novalis on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:What exactly is wrong with Custom Shop? Nothing is installed except a browser to find, try, buy, or restore the gear in AmpliTube and T-RackS. I think there's some misunderstanding about what Custom Shop really is and what it does (or really does not) do. It is simply like Authorization Manager - or if you want a non-IK example Service Manager.
Since you are trying to compare your product to that.

Service manager is something you run once per new product, and thereafter just use the product.

Service manager registers and updates your products (good) and does not try to market to you and let that get in the way of the registering and updating (bad).

Service manager is not loaded into my DAW.

Service manager does not require an internet connection except when registering, which is when you run it.. not when you run the DAW.

Service manager has not yet been responsible for a few hours of frustration ending with all plugins remaining unusable (may be a personal experience, but nevertheless).

Service manager works.

I can use a browser anytime I want to buy from you. Why would you think that disrupting the use of bought plugins would mean you want to buy more?. That must be the absolute worst time to try and sell, when people are struggling endlessly to just use something they already bought.

The CS is only in YOUR interests, not your customers.. and should go the way of all bloatware.. (bin).

t00nz wrote:
Service manager is not loaded into my DAW.
Why do you load CS into your DAW?
I never had to do that.

Novalis wrote:I don't really understand this CS bashing - altough I'm not a big fan of it either.
I'd rather call it serious criticism - expressed over and over again ever since CS was released.

Return to “Effects”