[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

I wasn't sure if you were overthinking it or if I just wasn't catching what you meant. But, now I have a better idea and also I think it helps to think of the application of its use because the plug-in can be used in so many ways.

So, if you wanted to do something like you're saying here where you'd simulate the sound of putting an instrument in a room at Sunset Sound (which, to be fair, is never going to be exactly the same no matter what plug-in you used for room simulation but knowing this the idea is to get close and have fun with it in my opinion... in most cases most people wouldn't even be able to tell that you DIDN'T actually record in the studio). To do that, I would put SSSR as an insert effect on that instrument (or on a buss insert if it's a multi-miked instrument) and then into EQ, compression and anything else I'd run a sound recorded in the room into on the console and outboard gear if I was at that studio (or even in my studio which is part DAW and part analog). But, as I said before, if CPU power was a concern then I'd just commit/freeze the track and print to audio the desired room sound (and keep the unprocessed original dry sound around as an inactive track in case I change my mind). Nothing wrong with printing it (ie. committing it to audio without the plug-in anymore - baked in as you said) because, after all, if you DID record the instrument in the actual room at the studio it would be recorded with that sound anyway. Now you're just using the plug-in to make it sound like you recorded it in that room. That should work quite nicely in a lot of cases!

Hope that helps. I like the way you're thinking and thanks for helping to take the discussion in new areas as I'm sure it's giving other people ideas on how they could use it too. You see? This is how a thread like this can be GOOD! People being friendly with each other and sharing ideas. That's great. I enjoy being around for that!
Thanks for your response, Squids. Yeah -- it seemed like that would be the only way to do it given CPU limitations -- but just wondered if I was missing something -- because I always prefer not rendering/freezing until the end.

For that reason -- I find the CPU usage of IK Tapes, for example, causes me to avoid it other than one instance on the 2-bus. (Even though you could apply the same "baked-in" logic to rendering early with that plugin too -- to simulate multi-track recording.)

At least w/a tape emulation you can simulate mixing down from digital to a 2-track tape master by using just one instance.

But you're absolutely right that -- in theory -- if I were actually recording in the room, the SS sound would be irretrievably baked in anyway -- just like if I were actually recording to multi-track tape, the tape sound would be baked-in -- which justifies early rendering in either case.

Workflow is a consideration. If SSSR weren't (relative to my budget level) so expensive, I'd be more tempted to consider a workflow like this or conversely if there was a workflow to accomplish this that was more flexible (or a really low CPU usage to use many instances), I'd be more tempted to exceed my budget.

Thanks again for the discussion. I'm curious to hear user reaction to SSSR when it's finally released.

It all depends on the effects chain you want. You could apply it after the effects on a buss but if you want say the compression to treat the room sound you'd need to do it before. Lots of possibilities and IMO there's nothing wrong with committing to audio to get what you want even if you want to put something like this as an insert for every track. The beauty of the virtual software and digital world is you can always go back and undo it vs. the analog world where if you record it that way it stays that way. THAT SAID, I think if you like the sound then either way it's not bad to be limited to it. Many great albums were made with having to make those kind of choices they'd be stuck with and it was fine.

Squids wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am
TheMaestro wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:54 am We get it now. You've convinced yourself that this plugin is ok.
Whatever you say! You're The Maestro! :tu:

I love it when people say "we" as if they speak for others.
I’ve, sadly, read this thread. I’m quite sure I’m not alone.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

I've, sadly, read this thread too ... :dog:

nvm
Last edited by Squids on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, so getting back on topic, it looks like Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is likely to be released some time next week. Not sure exactly when yet. I'm still working on some of my own demos. But, I just coordinated a visit to the studio in the last week of this month where I'll be talking about the studio and the plug-in with various producers and engineers there. It'll be streaming and interactive so people who are friendly and respectful can participate and find out all sorts of interesting things about it. Plus, there's one engineer I'm talking to who has the multitracks to a few classic albums recorded at the studio and we're going to run tracks through the plug-in. Not sure I can share that publicly yet but I'm looking forward to that either way.

I'm also meeting up with Van Halen's engineer Ross Hogarth who's going to work on special presets for SSSR and T-RackS 5 which it's a part of and works well going hand in hand with the T-RackS Tape Machines and mixing console emulations. Should be fun and educational! I'll share more about that soon.

Squids wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 am Ok, so getting back on topic, it looks like Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is likely to be released some time next week. Not sure exactly when yet. I'm still working on some of my own demos. But, I just coordinated a visit to the studio in the last week of this month where I'll be talking about the studio and the plug-in with various producers and engineers there. It'll be streaming and interactive so people who are friendly and respectful can participate and find out all sorts of interesting things about it. Plus, there's one engineer I'm talking to who has the multitracks to a few classic albums recorded at the studio and we're going to run tracks through the plug-in. Not sure I can share that publicly yet but I'm looking forward to that either way.

I'm also meeting up with Van Halen's engineer Ross Hogarth who's going to work on special presets for SSSR and T-RackS 5 which it's a part of and works well going hand in hand with the T-RackS Tape Machines and mixing console emulations. Should be fun and educational! I'll share more about that soon.
Do you know if IK will be releasing a t-racks MAX bundle that will include this and Tape Machine Collection? T-racks 6 maybe? Been wanting to get t-racks 5 but hoped to be able to get a MAX version with all modules that are currently announced/out.

The sunset reverb looks very cool and I look forward to trying it! Not sure how releasing a reverb plugin can make people so angry. I’ve done my share of complaining but come on lol more reverbs are always welcome in my studio setup!

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:18 pm Do you know if IK will be releasing a t-racks MAX bundle that will include this and Tape Machine Collection? T-racks 6 maybe? Been wanting to get t-racks 5 but hoped to be able to get a MAX version with all modules that are currently announced/out.

The sunset reverb looks very cool and I look forward to trying it! Not sure how releasing a reverb plugin can make people so angry. I’ve done my share of complaining but come on lol more reverbs are always welcome in my studio setup!
We do not news of a new T-RackS release at this time, and note that eventually we will also update Total Studio 2 MAX (which is now on sale for a great price, by the way) when there is more and enough new content that would be appropriate to add there and make it logical to release at the best value. We're not quite at that point yet but we'll share more news when we do get to that point.

Next week will be an extraordinary, amazing one. :tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

What is happening next week? What did I miss?
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:21 pm What is happening next week? What did I miss?
Nothing, like the sun.

Squids wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 am Ok, so getting back on topic, it looks like Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is likely to be released some time next week. Not sure exactly when yet.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:34 pm
SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:18 pm Do you know if IK will be releasing a t-racks MAX bundle that will include this and Tape Machine Collection? T-racks 6 maybe? Been wanting to get t-racks 5 but hoped to be able to get a MAX version with all modules that are currently announced/out.

We do not news of a new T-RackS release at this time, and note that eventually we will also update Total Studio 2 MAX (which is now on sale for a great price, by the way) when there is more and enough new content that would be appropriate to add there and make it logical to release at the best value. We're not quite at that point yet but we'll share more news when we do get to that point.
Hey Peter thanks for the info. I’ve been tempted to get Total Studio 2 MAX at the current sale price. Only thing holding me back is knowing that the Tape Machine Collection, Leslie and now Sunset Sound Reverb are not included. As well as SampleTank 4 MAX and a lot of the newer Amplitube stuff.

I own Syntronik Deluxe and a few t-Racks modules and I think Total Studio 3 MAX will be what I’m looking for with the newer amplitube stuff, sunset sound and tape machine collection. I think you guys have released some great stuff that could make Total Studio 3 MAX worth it all ready (Tape Machine Collection, Sunset Sound Reverb, Modo Drum, Hammond B3X, Amplitube additions etc).

I’m looking forward to demoing sunset sound reverb though and look forward to what else IK has in the works!

Not sure what Sunset Sound Studios used for delay, but a Sunset Sound Studio Delay plugin would be very cool I think depending on how they used delay!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:42 pm
Squids wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 am Ok, so getting back on topic, it looks like Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is likely to be released some time next week. Not sure exactly when yet.
Ah, yes I did read that, although I didn't lock it in due to the "likely to be released" part, all I read prior to that was 'February' which could have been the following week. Don't forget about the Amplitube Satriani Pack now :)
Say NO to CLAP!

Return to “Effects”