[BIAS Inc. has closed; authorization, updates still available for now]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Master Perfection Suite Peak PitchCraft EZ SoundSoap SoundSoap Pro

The authorization server works but they had a limit of 3 authorizations and then you had to request a reset. Unfortunately I am at that point so I can't re-autorize. Wish there was someone I could contact to get it reset.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

surferman wrote:The authorization server works but they had a limit of 3 authorizations and then you had to request a reset. Unfortunately I am at that point so I can't re-autorize. Wish there was someone I could contact to get it reset.
I ran into the same issue tonight with Soundsoap 2. I de-authorized it from my old computer hoping I could still put it on my new computer and got the 3 de-authorization limit. Who puts a limit on how many times you can de-authorize and authorize on different machines? I thought that was the whole point of being able to de-authorize and authorize it.

I guess I am out of luck. I really liked Soundsoap! :(

Ken

Yea, I've tried emailing every bias account I ever had contact with and no luck. Sucks. I just got a new computer and I use Peak all the time.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

The price is higher than some other options but I am starting to move to adobe audition cs6 and so far I am really liking it.

Very frustrating.

We've been using this since 1.0, used Alchemy and SD2 before that. Used to beta test it at one time, so I'm loath to learn a new work flow on something else. Plus it has some sound design features that nothing else does, seamless looping, convolution etc.

I have authorizations, I even have the short lived Bias Dongle (which only worked for version 5.x) , but since my last 10.5.x computer blew out, Peak 6.x just won't run here on OS 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

On 10.6 it just crashes at boot.

On 10.7 it runs, but anything that uses the Undo buffer or basically anything that does a disk op is f'ed up, so it's useless.

I really think that at the least they could have sent out an email when they dissapeared.

Maybe I need to dig up an old computer and an installer.

Actually, maybe the crash at start is due to the authorization server being down, I see someone on another board seems to think it always tries to check the server at start.

(was pretty sure I've used it in remote locations far from the internet though)

OK, I found a procedure that opens Peak 6.2 if you're in the same situation as me - you've got it authorized, but it crashes on start up.

10.6.x :

Get Info: check the 'Open in Rosetta' Button
Open the app.
It crashes.
Get Info: Un Check the 'Open In Rosetta' Button.
Now the app opens, seems to work normally, Undo works, DSP works etc.

The catch is that you need to do this every single darn time you want to open the app.

Hope this helps someone else

Hello BIAS software users-
believeprod wrote:
Knuckleheadz wrote:I took my mac in for repair and I guess something they did made it so Peak needed to be reauthorized. I tried to de-authorize it so I could input my serial again and when I did that it told me I had "run out of authorizations" WTF?!

Grateful for anyone who can help me sort this.
I just upgraded to a "new" (i.e., used) Mac, and had a similar experience. I migrated my old (Lion) setup to the new Mac (running Mountain Lion). I then deauthorized my many BIAS products on the old computer (I probably should have done this before the migration). When I tried to launch Peak Pro 7 on the new computer, I got the message:
The Peak License is invalid for this machine. If you recently moved to a new machine or had it repaired, you must first run the latest Peak installer (available from the BIAS web site) and then re-authorize using the BIAS Authorization Manager.
It then launches the BIAS Authorization Manager, which indicates Peak and various other BIAS products are authorized, and offers to deauthorize them. I tried to do so, thinking I could then re-authorize them, but I then got the message:
There are no more authorizations available. Contact BIAS Technical support (authorize@bias-inc.com) if you believe you have received this message in error.
I downloaded the latest Peak Studio updater from BIAS-Inc.com and ran it, but it did not cure the problem. I emailed BIAS for help, but after 4 days got a bounce due to bias-inc.com not responding.

Looking for help online, I was discouraged to read posts in this forum suggesting it is impossible to re-authorize BIAS products when moving to a new machine. But somehow I stumbled upon this BIAS FAQ entry:
Using Apple's Migration Assistant does not transfer your BIAS software authorizations:
http://www.bias-inc.com/support/faq/cVi ... faq_id=172
It notes that migration copies the license files, but that since these are tied to the hardware, the licenses won't be correct. It says to delete the license files from:

Code: Select all

Mac HD>Library>Application Support>BIAS>Licenses
and then run the Authorization Manager. I did so, and to my great relief, I was subsequently able to re-authorize all of my BIAS apps and plug-ins on the new Mac. Whew!

The one caveat is that I kept Peak 6 on my old computer, and I was not able to deauthorize it:
Exceeded allotted deauthorizations... allowed to deauthorize 3 times... for additional deauthorizations contact authorize@bias-inc.com
Since I haven't used Peak Pro 6 for years, I haven't pursued trying to address this and re-authorize it on the new Mac.

At the moment I'm content (but still looking for a long-term Peak replacement). I'm posting this hoping it will help others trying to make the most of their BIAS software.

Cheers,
Tom

Hello BIAS software users-

[Oops, sorry about the bad markup in the previous post; here it is again, fixed up!]
Knuckleheadz wrote:I took my mac in for repair and I guess something they did made it so Peak needed to be reauthorized. I tried to de-authorize it so I could input my serial again and when I did that it told me I had "run out of authorizations" WTF?!

Grateful for anyone who can help me sort this.
I just upgraded to a "new" (i.e., used) Mac, and had a similar experience. I migrated my old (Lion) setup to the new Mac (running Mountain Lion). I then deauthorized my many BIAS products on the old computer (I probably should have done this before the migration). When I tried to launch Peak Pro 7 on the new computer, I got the message:
The Peak License is invalid for this machine. If you recently moved to a new machine or had it repaired, you must first run the latest Peak installer (available from the BIAS web site) and then re-authorize using the BIAS Authorization Manager.
It then launches the BIAS Authorization Manager, which indicates Peak and various other BIAS products are authorized, and offers to deauthorize them. I tried to do so, thinking I could then re-authorize them, but I then got the message:
There are no more authorizations available. Contact BIAS Technical support (authorize@bias-inc.com) if you believe you have received this message in error.
I downloaded the latest Peak Studio updater from BIAS-Inc.com and ran it, but it did not cure the problem. I emailed BIAS for help, but after 4 days got a bounce due to bias-inc.com not responding.

Looking for help online, I was discouraged to read posts in this forum suggesting it is impossible to re-authorize BIAS products when moving to a new machine. But somehow I stumbled upon this BIAS FAQ entry:
Using Apple's Migration Assistant does not transfer your BIAS software authorizations:
http://www.bias-inc.com/support/faq/cVi ... faq_id=172
It notes that migration copies the license files, but that since these are tied to the hardware, the licenses won't be correct. It says to delete the license files from:

Code: Select all

Mac HD>Library>Application Support>BIAS>Licenses
and then run the Authorization Manager. I did so, and to my great relief, I was subsequently able to re-authorize all of my BIAS apps and plug-ins on the new Mac. Whew!

The one caveat is that I kept Peak 6 on my old computer, and I was not able to deauthorize it:
Exceeded allotted deauthorizations... allowed to deauthorize 3 times... for additional deauthorizations contact authorize@bias-inc.com
Since I haven't used Peak Pro 6 for years, I haven't pursued trying to address this and re-authorize it on the new Mac.

At the moment I'm content (but still looking for a long-term Peak replacement). I'm posting this hoping it will help others trying to make the most of their BIAS software.

Cheers,
Tom

A company has taken over two of the bias apps, sound soap (not pro) and iPro recorder (been renamed) but the best part is they can reset your authorizations. I have bias Peak pro 7 running again.!!!!!
New Album! KnowledgeBass

surferman wrote:A company has taken over two of the bias apps, sound soap (not pro) and iPro recorder....
The company is Soundness, Steve Berkley's new company (Steve was behind BIAS). Steve has posted on GearSlutz that "I have not made any decisions at this time about Peak...." So perhaps Peak itself will resurface sometime.

Although I will miss Peak if it stops working, it has had multiple annoying bugs that were not addressed for years, and the pace of development was glacial even before Peak 7. The way the demise of BIAS was handled (including the unfulfilled promise of the multitracking app that lured some of us to pay for Peak 7) was disappointing and disturbing. Soundness would have to show evidence of being run very differently in order to earn this old BIAS customer's business. Finally providing that app to those who paid for it would be a good start.

To see Berkley's post about Soundness and Peak, search the GearSlutz.com Mastering forum for the "No more Bias Peak" thread and look at the bottom of p. 5. Here's a direct link:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... eak-5.html
[/url]

Well, I am very happy to have Peak running again. I had to remove soundflower to stop peak from crashing on setting up the audio i/o but it works perfectly now.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”