Good DAW To Use & Stick To?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Cubase Pro 13 REAPER Serum Studio One Professional

ATN69 wrote:I used to work with Cubase back in the really old days. It was version 1. something. It was more or less used as a sequencer and we used to connect hardware synths thru a midi interface. During many years I didn't use any DAW, until about 3 years ago when I decided to get one. After a lot of research I finally decided for FL Studio producer edition. The reason why I choose FL Studio was that there is a lot of native plugins included. Other reason is that it was quick to get into it.

Since then I also got Bitwig, Studio One 3 and also Reason 10. I never took to Bitwig or Ableton. The way of doing things didn't suit me. Studio One 3 has also impressed me and it didn't take long to get started. I can't say much about Reason yet because I just got it.

This is a highly personal choice and everyone have their own opinions. My good old friend and singer use Reason and that's why I decided to get it so that we can work on projects on a distance. Studio One 3 was recommended to me by a pro-producer that I happen to know. His main DAW is Cubase but he also work a lot with Studio One 3.

Since I owned FL Studio the longest it is the one DAW I run to when I have some ideas. I know it by heart and it's faster for me to get things done. Studio One 3 however is the one I open to explore and experiment and that lead to inspiration. Recently we all got the news about Sonar and Cakewalk, so my advice from now on, going forward, would actually be to find 2 DAWs that you like and learn them. If you are strictly working with music as a hobby it might be over kill with 2 DAWs, but if you are a serious producer it might be a good idea to spend the time and money. You never know in this business when a company will go bust or close down. You will always stand more steady on two legs instead of one.
That's inspiring, but I'm low on budget :/

AhmedHeikal wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Kinh wrote:Bypass studio one and cubase. Think future. Ableton is the future, studio one and cubase are the past.
Protools and ableton. The only 2 you need.
Before I say anything I use Ableton alot with the push.
I love ableton/push and still swear by it for parts of my production process.

But this comment is honestly ludicrous. Not the part promoting Ableton. I did the same to OP since it was what he had and was familiar with. But the referral of Cubase and S1 as in the past...
Cubase and Studio one are not "the past"
Infact Cubase just released fantastic 9 and 9.5 updates in the past calender year. And Studio One had some great point updates as well.
Most of the major daws at this point are on close to the same paying feild in 2017. There is no daw that is truly significantly more "future" biased then any other ones.
Infact in some regards ableton if anything is stuck in the past with no support for MPE ( the future of midi imo) no native pitch correction/Melodyne (Something that you'll find in S1, Cubase, Logic, Reason, FL, and even Waveform nowadays) and no VST3 (controversial but improving).
Just my 2 cents
Take it or leave it
Actually I don't like mocking other DAWs, but I ask for an advice, I've learned Ableton, I love fl studio but "didn't feel it" I love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option! I like Studio one too but afraid of not "having everything I Want in it"
Hey man, If ableton is what works with you go ahead and use it. I must place re-emphasis I have no beef with the Ableton software, i have my gripes with it but I like it and use it, I simply had a problem with this individual acting like he was superior for using it and having this "Ableton IS De Best LOL" attitude that you see with like 12 year olds who Pirate Suite and Serum and then act like they are "Pro Producers" .

Also for studio one, I used to own it, I sold it because It wasn't for me but that is not because its a bad software, if you like it and you work well with it don't be afraid, It has everything a professional DAW needs and then some.

EDIT: Misunderstood your original comment about Cubase, My apologies.
Last edited by Spencer Maddox on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Actually I don't like mocking other DAWs, but I ask for an advice, I've learned Ableton, I love fl studio but "didn't feel it" I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option! I like Studio one too but afraid of not "having everything I Want in it" I respect reaper/Bitwig/Reason/Pro Tools & some people use it as their primary DAW.

All options Are good, But I'm asking a specific question & wish I could get 2 DAWs, but I'm low on budget :/ so I'm asking again: will i get everything in S1 Pro or use Ableton/Cubase (I love & Respect FL Studio -My 1st Intro To DAWs- but didn't find it my cup of tea)

Cubase is enough, believe me, especially for trance and heavier vocal music, plenty of pro's use it for that same thing. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOesUoQ7WJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hRHozjMk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea112txRpds
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

AhmedHeikal wrote:Actually I don't like mocking other DAWs, but I ask for an advice, I've learned Ableton, I love fl studio but "didn't feel it" I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option! I like Studio one too but afraid of not "having everything I Want in it" I respect reaper/Bitwig/Reason/Pro Tools & some people use it as their primary DAW.

All options Are good, But I'm asking a specific question & wish I could get 2 DAWs, but I'm low on budget :/ so I'm asking again: will i get everything in S1 Pro or use Ableton/Cubase (I love & Respect FL Studio -My 1st Intro To DAWs- but didn't find it my cup of tea)
Ableton Live Suite has everything you need, period.

Ableton Live Standard has everything you need, but you may want to add a synth(*). About the same level as Studio One Professional, that has mostly sample-based instruments too.

Live 10 added several features that make it just as fast to edit in Arrangement view as Studio One.

(*) Not really necessary as you can load single-cycle waveforms on Simpler and play them much like a wavetable synth. But right now you can buy stuff like Hybrid 3 for $1, check the deals:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43
https://www.kvraudio.com/deals.php
https://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

Though if you find yourself looking at spending a lot in plugins, then I say just get Suite instead. You get 8 synths, 8 MIDI effects (can't really be replicated w/ VSTs), 5 audio effects (2 are quite unique and you'll have trouble finding VSTs that do the same), truckloads of content (orchestral instruments, loops, etc., 60GB) and Max For Live.
There are more than 3 thousand M4L devices, dozens of synths, hundreds of audio effects, half free, half cheaper than VSTs.
You won't get the same value for the $ difference between Standard and Suite with any other products, even in Black Friday.

DubTurbo
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

AhmedHeikal wrote:That's inspiring, but I'm low on budget :/
EDIT: Never mind... didn't see all of your posts and full context, but will leave this part of the comment.

Also, buy 2nd hand or only during sales! I get 95% of my software either 2nd hand (minimum 50% off) or during huge sales like this month. You don't *have* to get anything straight away. Wait for the sale or for someone to offload it.

sl1200mk2 wrote:
AhmedHeikal wrote:That's inspiring, but I'm low on budget :/
Low budget? Reaper... hands down. Amazing DAW regardless of price. If you can't make music with that (including the stock plugins), then you're never going to do it regardless. It's really about preference after that, but spending more money doesn't necessarily get you a better DAW in terms of audio quality. It's more or less workflow, quality of life and some varying levels of functionality.

Also, buy 2nd hand or only during sales! I get 95% of my software either 2nd hand (minimum 50% off) or during huge sales like this month. You don't *have* to get anything straight away. Wait for the sale or for someone to offload it.
Agree! :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVQolY8zy4
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

A question for Ableton Live 10 and Bitwig 2 owners (so I don't search or demo just for this!):
Can you route the midi files to instruments to be played?
Like in Cubase/S1/Reaper ..etc, I usually play drums midi files in the host's browser and routing them to Battery (or any other drums).

AhmedHeikal wrote:I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option!
So, the post system is your real problem! Can't you go down and talk to them? :shrug:
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:
AhmedHeikal wrote:I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option!
So, the post system is your real problem! Can't you go down and talk to them? :shrug:
@Ahmed, you can order the usb dongle only from the local dealer in Egypt (you said you are in Egypt, right?) then register the usb dongle online with Steinberg then buy Cubase Artist or Pro online (download). You don't need to buy the whole package overseas and be posted to you!

AhmedHeikal wrote:I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option! I like Studio one too but afraid of not "having everything I Want in it"
You absolutely can buy Cubase online and download it. I just did... 10 minutes ago. You have to have the elicenser dongle and that's it. I went to my local store, bought that for $34 and then bought the crossgrade offer to Cubase 9.5 Pro that's on sale for $255 (Sweetwater.com). 11.65GB download and it's installing right now. Amazon has it too (the dongle), but there's likely someone country specific for you that carries it.

OT -- I thought they'd ask for proof of purchase on the crossgrade sale, but so far, no. I do own Live 9 and Studio One, so that's not a problem, but it *seems* to be not an issue so far, however it's only been less than an hour. Maybe I'll get an email request from Steinberg in the coming days asking for proof? Who knows.

And before anyone asks... no, I don't need 3 DAWs, any of them would do, but I wanted to try Cubase again. My typical creative process is within Ableton for my own stuff, but S1 for tracking and mixing. I haven't used Cubase since SX v1 or v2 days in 2002 or so and couldn't pass up this sale. I'm a sucker to try DAWs to see what I like best, what can I say. And I've never paid full price for any of them, so it kind of works out. Bought S1 v3 Pro for $200 (2nd hand) and Live 9 Suite for 40% off (sale offer).

Pick one that isn't going to disappear - Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, or Ableton.

pottering wrote:
No MPE support... so no, it doesn't have everything I need

pdxindy wrote:
pottering wrote:
No MPE support... so no, it doesn't have everything I need
Suite comes with Max For Live, MaxMSP has MPE support.

https://cycling74.com/forums/max-7-2-released
https://cycling74.com/2016/09/15/get-the-rise-package/

And you can load VSTs directly on Max, and you can record the MIDI on it.

Couple of ROLI products even come with Ableton Live Lite bundled. Others come with MaxMSP bundled too.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”