Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As much as I love Studio One, I think any suggestion that they are just throwing in the towel to Presonus is just silly. Cubase is worlds ahead of Studio One in many areas, and as powerful as Studio One has become, it's still not on the level, at least feature-wise, of Cubase Pro.

I personally would be surprised if there weren't other small improvements in addition to the "what's new" lists given above. We don't know to what extend Variaudio has been improved, and the console snapshots are very much welcome. I would agree that if that list IS everything, it's not the world-beating update people hope for, but honestly, most Cubase releases aren't.

Cubase has boatloads of power, and I would prefer they refine features and improve interfaces in the few areas that still need it. The last few releases have been almost entirely based on requests that users have had. I don't know how much of this release has been requested as I haven't kept up as much this year, but with Cubase being the bohemoth that it is, there isn't a whole lot they can add from other hosts that isn't already there in some form.

I DO think Cubase is still the king in terms of overall package. And I'll upgrade for sure. ARA isn't a dealbreaker for me (though I do use Melodyne at times), especially if Variaudio 3 is a big step forward. So we'll see.

But in the end, I think it's easy to see the bells and whistles that other hosts are adding and feel left out, until you realize that almost every bell and every whistle is already there in Cubase Pro.

(no, I'm not saying Cubase can do everything that every other host can do, but can any other host say they can do everything Cubase does? No. And it's more lopsided in Cubase's favor than the other way around- cue those who just love to hate Cubase, but it is what it is)

Peace.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Where are those snap shots ??

Edit : Oh sorry I misunderstood ....I should go to bed ! :scared:

As an addon to my above statements, I'm curious why everyone is gaga about ARA2. I mean, real talk. How many plugins are there that support it right now? Three? Melodyne, Revoice Pro, and Vocalign?

All three are plugins that Cubase already has features for when you include the new alignment tools coming in 10, right? And the "proof of concept" features found in the wild, like having external apps synced, are not live yet, are they? Since Cubase already has full-featured audio editing, and most other editing programs like iZotopeRX already have plugins, there isn't a benefit AT THIS TIME for adding ARA2, is there?

In other words, not speaking of the POTENTIAL of ARA2, I'm not sure there is much benefit. Once the potential is realized, that could obviously change.

Don't get me wrong. If ARA2 takes off, Steinberg would be silly to ignore it. But it's still so young, and Steinberg has already invested time into their own solutions that are even MORE integrated than ARA2 plugins would be. So I would guess that they are watching ARA2 development, and have decided that the benefits don't outweigh the downside just yet. Not until more plugins come out supporting ARA2.

What would be interesting is if VariAudio 3 was secretly built in ARA 2 and they just reveal that as an actual feature in 10.5, lol.

So that's why I'm not disappointed. Is there anything ARA2 can currently do, with any actually released plugins, that I can't do already in Cubase 10? (assuming the alignment plugin is in 10, of course).

NOTE: I could just be way behind on what is happening with ARA 2, so don't shoot me! While I still actively do editing and arranging and everything I used to do when I was here constantly, I don't keep up with every single development. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.......gently, lol. Just giving my personal, perhaps slightly uninformed, perspective. Cheers!

Brent

Main reason most want ARA integration is that they (and I) own Melodyne, which can do things way beyond what variaudio can in terms of working with polyphonic audio etc... and Melodyne WITH ARA is wonderful, Melodyne without ARA is still good, but it's more work, which is fine, but It's hard to do when you know you can just use a different DAW and get your workflow back. Glad to hear Variaudio is getting an update for formant control etc... pretty sure I wont be selling my Melodyne license when it gets released tho.

ShawnG wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 am Main reason most want ARA integration is that they (and I) own Melodyne, which can do things way beyond what variaudio can in terms of working with polyphonic audio etc... and Melodyne WITH ARA is wonderful, Melodyne without ARA is still good, but it's more work, which is fine, but It's hard to do when you know you can just use a different DAW and get your workflow back. Glad to hear Variaudio is getting an update for formant control etc... pretty sure I wont be selling my Melodyne license when it gets released tho.
Don't get me wrong, I also own the full latest Melodyne and love it! I'm just suggesting that Steinberg doesn't see enough benefit yet above what they already offer, to include ARA 2 yet.

And who knows, maybe Variaudio 3 will do polyphonic? Maybe not. But in that case, Melodyne is still there and isn't TOO difficult to use.

Again, don't misunderstand, I get what you're saying. I just don't know if Steinberg would add ARA 2 just for a couple of features, even if they are big features, at this point.

It could also be that they are just being stubborn and would rather see Variaudio be more. Maybe they refuse to accept a third party standard until it's more mainstream, just out of their own pride. That's entirely possible!

I guess we'll find out soon enough what Variaudio 3 can do, and how much the gap is closed there.

Brent

What is ara 2? I try to do my own research but im still puzzeld.

If Steinberg is thinking Ara is very important for their users, they will implement it.
IMO it's not such an important thing and more a "nice to have" feature. There are other things, more important if you work hours in Cubase..
I see a snapshot feature for the mixer is coming? This is something I would use 20x more as a Ara/Melodyne thing :wink:

The website now says stay tuned we are preparing to launch the update.

New Mixer screen-shot - circular pan pots... and no full-length coloured channel strips by the looks of it...
https://youtu.be/Ph1GgGQotU8?t=50
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:13 am New Mixer screen-shot - circular pan pots... and no full-length coloured channel strips by the looks of it...
https://youtu.be/Ph1GgGQotU8?t=50
New mixer looks much better. No more like Lego

No ARA ........big disappointment :(

Rhetorical question: Why does the whole web site have to be taken down? Even the forums??

Functional wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am As for ARA support though, I think they definitively should implement it sooner or later. There's no reason not to. But since they do have variaudio that works well in my opinion, I'm not concerned over Melodyne, rather just live in the hopes that ARA extension will be used by other plugins too than only Melodyne.
^^^ THIS ^^^^
ARA wouldn't make sense if Steinberg would not offer something to work with. And spending money in licensing Melodyne Essential to offer the customer something they already have with Variaudio, would be plainly stupid, from a business perspective.

If ARA gets more support, and there will appear several othjer plug-ins that use it, I think Steinberg will implement it. For the time being, it doesn't make sense to waste development time with it in Cubase, IMO.

I'm curious to see the new Mixer, and I think the mixing snapshots are a great addition.
Fernando (FMR)

Just watched the first video and not so impressed with the new audio content or grrove agent SE (I have the full version) but the new built in MPE support is fantastic! and for me wortht he update. It means my ROLI will suddenly become much easier to work with non-supporting instruments and also much easier to work with the note expressions - brilliant

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”