[FR] A Max Detune parameter for Mux oscillator(In the layers curve editor)? Also possible bug.

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, after playing with Mux some more recently I noticed mutools added the ability to change the detune-curve in the layers tab (thanks for this! :D ) however, even after setting and trying different curves I could still never get it to have a more gentle detune as my other soft-synths do. :?

So It got me wondering, why does it sound so harsh in comparison to other synths when mux sounds just as good for everything else? :?

Well, after looking into Mux some more I think its because when you use the detune function in the layers tab, it has a range between -600 to +600! To check this, go to the layers tab and turn the 'fatness' to 12 and the 'detune' to 50 and then go into deep edit and look at the pitch on the last layers. No matter the detune-curve (except for the tahn curve, saw down wave and saw up wave) the 25th layer will always max out at 600, and that's really high if you ask me, way more than I would normally go.

After some testing I think the saw up wave with "number of quarters' = 1 and 'start quarter' = -4 gets pretty close to what I want since it lowers the max value, however I can't get the max value to go any lower than that even though I would like to...(basically the value I want to have control over in this post :) )

Another interesting thing to note here is that the max-detune is not tied to the last active layer which I find interesting, I would have imagined that the max-detune would be tied to how many active layers there are. For example, if I have 5 active-layers and I set the detune to max, the fifth layer should be detuned by 600, but that's not the case here.

I think what could be improved as well is that the 'fatness' parameter could be completely replaced with the 'number of layers' parameter found in the deep-edit panel. (would make more sense I think and wouldn't have to go to deep-edit for it) however this is just my opinion. I'm curious to know why it was designed to abstract the layers like this. Also I think there is a bug here , if you set the fatness to 0 and go into deep-edit and add some layers, when you go back to the layers tab and change any of the other parameters (pan spread, amp dim, detune, ect) it resets the layer amount back to 0. If the 'fatness' was replaced with the 'number of layers ' function, this would be fixed.

My request I think is rather simple, I would like to be able to reduce the max-detune amount in the curve editor window with any of the curves to whatever number I would like instead of (-600 to +600) ? that would be perfect I think. :D :D

Side-note: Also if you could add a Boolean-type button in the curve window that would tie the max-detune to the last active layer that would be cool. For instance, if I have the detune set to 50 , then the last active layer should be able to reach that amount (unlike how it is now). but this feature wouldn't be needed if the max-detune could be changed in the curve editor.

PS: Please please please allow us to put the detune, and "number of layers" parameters on the front of a mux panel :D
Last edited by Pyrotek45 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Pyrotek45

You have a valid point about the max detune value. A possibility to reduce that max amount yould be nice.
But that's the Quick Edit.

Have you tried to edit the values manually in the Deep Editor and then save your creations as Layer Setup presets? This way you can make your own sets.
Especially if you start editing the phase, drift, inverted and volume parameters per layer. For me, the fine tuning is more work, but a lot more satisfying.

AndreasD wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm You have a valid point about the max detune value. A possibility to reduce that max amount yould be nice.
But that's the Quick Edit.

Have you tried to edit the values manually in the Deep Editor and then save your creations as Layer Setup presets? This way you can make your own sets.
Especially if you start editing the phase, drift, inverted and volume parameters per layer. For me, the fine tuning is more work, but a lot more satisfying.
Yes I have used the deep-edit but it's just so time consuming to me just to detune each individual sawtooth.... plus doing all the work in the deep-edit kind of defeats the purpose of the functions on the quick edit panel for me since I like to work fast. :? I'm kind of a super-saw slut and love testing and comparing synths, supersaws, and detunes-spreads. What would be really cool is that if i could control the max detune and the detune curve I could recreate my favorite synth's supersaw functions(like jp800 and virus hypersaw) and save them then be able to use the quick-edit detune function to detune them to taste for a song quickly and work on something else instead of setting each sawtooth layer pitch manually..I think the mux oscillator is almost there for me to be my one stop shop for trance sounds if i could get the detuning to sound like my other softsynths.
~Pyrotek45

Return to “MUTOOLS”