New version of Anna

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stefancrs wrote:
opia wrote:long loading time,clicks,and crash in orion 7 on a pc running XP

much hope for the future tho
What did you do when the crash occured? Just playing notes or changing presets or something else?
I tried playing a few notes and it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to use it so I opted to delete it from the project
the crash happened right after I deleted it.

opia wrote:I tried playing a few notes and it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to use it so I opted to delete it from the project
the crash happened right after I deleted it.
Ah, ok, seems fairly straight-forward to find and fix.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY wrote:The Note stealing makes clicks in ext.

Also, hold down a note,
then hit the note right next to it (in mono mode), WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE ORIGINAL FIRST NOTE,
then let up on the second note.. Not only does the second notes release envelope totally get CHOPPED OFF to zero time, but the first note is not retriggered..

I will LOVE this synth WHEN these problems are fixed (im sure you want to get to the bottom of it, so I'm probably gonna still vote this as my top synth anyways..)
Ofcourse bugs like that will get fixed :) The second note should not have a release envelope in that scenario at all, so that part isn't strange. The strange part is why it doesn't go back to playing the first note.

This happens each and every time for you? I just tried in the 1.4 beta demo here (just the version I happened to have installed) with a sequence of a held C and a D# coming in for a 1/2 note in the middle of the loop, and it just keeps on playing the notes as expected. This never happens for you? Which version of eXT are you running? Might be a good idea for me to try with the same :)
Stefan H Singer

I have a question: is it ok if I break backwards compability if it means better performance and other enhancements? You would still be able to manually save your patches as text files and load them up in the new version, but a lot of the LFO settings would be lost.
Stefan H Singer

+1 better performance and other enhancements, backwards compatability is not as important to me as how I am able to use (and abuse?) Anna now...

...or was that a rhetorical question? :hihi:

Seeing as this is a relatively new and *FREE* synth, I think it's perfectly fine to break backwards compatibilty in order to improve it. You're not getting paid to support it. Break! Break! Break! %^&^'n break it!!... the more you can optimize it the better response you'll get for it. So if someone has made a really good patch, then its great practice that they should try make it again. :) Any art teacher will tell you that sometimes you need to destroy in order to create... diggity...

+1 for better performance

I hope the feedback you're getting helps iron out some of the performance problems with SM too!

who cares about compatibility instead of improvements? BREAK BREAK!!! :lol: (I also hope you did read my post in the thread "MIDI learning for ANNA") :P
*work in progress* :)

First of all, nice to see that you're all on the same side as me here :)
Debutante wrote:So if someone has made a really good patch, then its great practice that they should try make it again. :)
Well, one could still save the patch from the old version of Anna as a .txt file and re-open it in the latest version. One would just have to redo some LFO stuff manually.

The_Cresta: Just catching up here, will read it in a jiffy!
Stefan H Singer

stefancrs wrote:First of all, nice to see that you're all on the same side as me here :)
I noticed that software houses tends to produce year by year software more and more weighted. This is due by the fact they need to keep users from previous versions, so "innovation" is very limited.
Freeware isn't chained to that commercial politic, so imho THIS is the only field were innovation can start moving.
Do you agree? :)

Actually Anna is a showcase for Synthmaker which is a commercial product currently still in beta.

I would say that innovative products are more likely to crop up from small companies and independent devs rather than from established software giants nowadays.

Sorry if the question was not adressed to me.

stefancrs wrote:

Also, hold down a note,
then hit the note right next to it (in mono mode), WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE ORIGINAL FIRST NOTE,
then let up on the second note.. Not only does the second notes release envelope totally get CHOPPED OFF to zero time, but the first note is not retriggered..

I will LOVE this synth WHEN these problems are fixed (im sure you want to get to the bottom of it, so I'm probably gonna still vote this as my top synth anyways..)
Ofcourse bugs like that will get fixed :) The second note should not have a release envelope in that scenario at all, so that part isn't strange. The strange part is why it doesn't go back to playing the first note.

This happens each and every time for you? I just tried in the 1.4 beta demo here (just the version I happened to have installed) with a sequence of a held C and a D# coming in for a 1/2 note in the middle of the loop, and it just keeps on playing the notes as expected. This never happens for you? Which version of eXT are you running? Might be a good idea for me to try with the same :)
Im running one of the newest versions.. but i doubt anything significant changed in the last 6 months with respect to ext that would cause this.
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

Also, hold down a note,

fl studio too :(

How strange, haven't been able to replicate it. All you do is load it up and enter two notes in the sequencer, and when the 2nd is released it does not go back to the first? When I did this in eXT I could loop that little sequence over and over and it behaved properly.

I think I need a better repro case, preferably for eXT since I don't have FLS.
Stefan H Singer

Hmm, some comments:

Very good. Good versatile oscillators, and also good visuals. Good envelopes & LFOs, love the sequencer :) Oscillator spread nice touch, as is the ability to check free/synced running. EQ very good.

There is however a long lag when opening or closing the synth? I'm running Athlon XP 1800+.

And hmm how is it with the LFO sync, I couldn't set it to free running, it's always retriggered with the note?

The mod matrix is cool, but it would be great to have even more modulation destinations for some wild unexcepted results.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”