No disrespect, but..... what is missing on this year contest?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i think anything is allright, the devs gave us some new toys
and we give him nice and constructive feedbacks ;)

I actually agree that the entered plug-ins aren't as intense as previous years, but there are still a few strong ones. I think Vladg

wins

Judging the title of this thread, what's missing is grateful recipients.

valerian_777 wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
idfpower wrote:I'm still waiting for a really nice synth to get released through DC, but that's just me :)
I guess for a really innovative synth (64 bit, too, without Synthedit or Flowstone), developers need much more time than some months, if not years...
DC 2012 was third place Kamioooka (64bit), a polyphonic Full-Modular synthesizer with patch cable system by g200kg.
Which I voted for... And maybe not being purely ungrateful. Of course we'll be thankful as always, but there's no denying that past dcs had more intricate ware. Just being Vulcan.

I was certainly very vocal in praising past contest entries, but I'm only into the more creative ones. I'm not knocking anything now, still good stuff, but it's not like I'm going to fake it.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:I was certainly very vocal in praising past contest entries
Funny - I was just commenting to someone on how active you've been this time around. You've clearly given a fair few of the entries a thorough workout, and shared your considered thoughts - not only with the devs, but also with those of us who aren't managing to find the time to give them all a fair hearing just yet. (We all have our reasons/excuses - some of us do the devs the minor courtesy of feeling bad about it.)

But I guess that's the real problem: I noticed how much you'd been posting.

Take look at the number of 'views' in this forum.
~musicalentropy, for example.
Last DC, we were offered a quirky, text-based, audio-free (it doesn't even respond to MIDI - unless I'm missing something) stand-alone that didn't even feature among the prizes.
This year (my first reaction was, 'A good year for guitarists') we've been treated to a whole raft of effects that are sure to appeal to pretty much anyone who's ever passed through KVR's hallowed portals - show me a JMJ fan who isn't going to be blown away by that phaser, for a start.
The Inspiration thread had well over 10,000 hits by the end of DC12.
DC14, so far, only 2 threads are even making it into 4 figures - and one of them is this one!
c_bomb wrote:what's missing is grateful recipients.
nail -> head

the DC is an expression of your universal being. amitabha.

i've tried to be explicit over the years that my involvement in the field is a function of ethics and not affectation for technology or sound. i'm more interested in the moral or cultural significance of a release than if i can use it to make recordings.. the statement of a release could be something from "oh boy soon i will be able to milk peons" or "i have elementary skills and a desire to be culturally synergetic" or "finally i can offer this technology to the public without drawing too much fire" and so forth.......

in many subtle ways, statements are being made that relate to people and society and who we think we are or aspire to be. the DC (and omissions) has some marinated (less spur of the moment) statements to this effect.

this year, we have less entries.. this is a statement. i'm seeing a fairly high proportion of items produced by ardor for the process or objective rather than basic releases fielded to create awareness of the producer. course this impression is relative to the observer.

having done a bit of development, i find the application to the process to be personal. i could not rely on developers to produce without being led by their personal goals, which do not always yield items applied to meeting public satisfation. for the same kind of reasons that draw an individual into the process. in the field i am sure there are a few unfilled vacancies for generally useful things, but for a few years now it's more challenging to justify implementing any process for free because there is usually a preexistent resource. :) and often the value of innovations isn't guaranteed to be immediately appealing or tangible to others.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

:lol: mm why use few words, when you can use so many?
(as you demonstrate so ably)
(the last half of the last sentence woulda done, on that one :tu: )

Syntilla wrote:
Take look at the number of 'views' in this forum.
Some folks may be like me and customize KVR to show only certain forums of interest.

It was only by chance that I figured out there was a KVRDC14 Chat forum because I rarely look at the full unedited list of forums.

mztk wrote::lol: mm why use few words, when you can use so many?
if that were true, things would have changed when i came here in 2002 and said "i'm a polite welsh boy who lived with apaches, civilisation is kinda mean and it sucks, please broaden your scope of appreciation away from sources of ideological/memetic entrainment" - that could have been enough.. or in 2005 when i said "help help i'm constantly being harassed by strange people everywhere i go doing really weird things".

but in 2014, i've been through 9 years of "enthused" covert marginalisation and 5 years of homelessness. i live on about $40 a month and haven't been able to sit down since february. still, i can use my $150 netbook to demonstrate the narrow scope of cultural appreciation in the hopes that people will disenfranchise the social mechanisms that impose upon themselves and others in recognition of unendorsed yet viable alternatives.

so yes i keep talking even after i've said the thing several times. :)

thanks to everyone who helps me have opportunities for that!. it's important not to have a culture that's cretinous and unnecessarily smititive to the others.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:"i'm a polite welsh boy who lived with apaches, civilisation is kinda mean and it sucks, please broaden your scope of appreciation away from sources of ideological/memetic entrainment"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
xoxos wrote: ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kinda what he's talking about, I guess
xoxos wrote: 5 years of homelessness
no smiley for that, too?

xoxos wrote:
mztk wrote::lol: mm why use few words, when you can use so many?
if that were true, things would have changed when i came here in 2002 and said "i'm a polite welsh boy who lived with apaches, civilisation is kinda mean and it sucks, please broaden your scope of appreciation away from sources of ideological/memetic entrainment" - that could have been enough.. or in 2005 when i said "help help i'm constantly being harassed by strange people everywhere i go doing really weird things".

but in 2014, i've been through 9 years of "enthused" covert marginalisation and 5 years of homelessness. i live on about $40 a month and haven't been able to sit down since february. still, i can use my $150 netbook to demonstrate the narrow scope of cultural appreciation in the hopes that people will disenfranchise the social mechanisms that impose upon themselves and others in recognition of unendorsed yet viable alternatives.

so yes i keep talking even after i've said the thing several times. :)

thanks to everyone who helps me have opportunities for that!. it's important not to have a culture that's cretinous and unnecessarily smititive to the others.
You write poetically and make great plugins. Thank you for all you've contributed here and to the music world.

i didn't have time to make some weird crappy old thing this year,sorry.

spacedad wrote:i didn't have time to make some weird crappy old thing this year,sorry.
that's really a miss ! have a good time anyway
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”