Before You Vote: IMPORTANT

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Even if you have no interest in – or intentions of voting for – MeekPro, please consider this before casting your votes.

Joe Meek was a hugely innovative and influential producer – NME rank him #1 in their ’50 Greatest Producers Ever’ list.
He was also pretty much the original ‘bedroom’ producer, living and working in a small flat above a leather goods store in London.
His distinctive sound(s) are the result of pushing the recording equipment of the day to their limits, along with plenty of his own home-made gear.
As with many an artist, particularly such a demanding perfectionist who yet manages to be so prolific, he suffered what today we would recognise as serious mental health problems. The recent suicide of Robin Williams may have shocked the world, but will surely come as no real surprise to anyone who has spent much time among serious performers, musicians, writers and artists of any other kind.
Meek was also homosexual, at a time when that was illegal in the UK. Besides one minor conviction, he spent his whole life under the threat of blackmail and persecution.
Finding himself penniless and without an income as the result of an entirely unjustified and malicious copyright suit – which was judged in his favour shortly after his untimely death – he descended into psychosis and paranoia, at a time when such things went undiagnosed, much less treated compassionately.
In an episode of extreme psychotic delusion, he shot dead first his landlady, then himself, tragically cutting short the life of a complete innocent along with that of a truly creative artist to whom we all, one way or another, still owe a considerable debt.
I would like to draw your attention to the touching eulogy to the man and his music posted over in ‘Effects’ by Fabien of Tokyo Dawn Records:
FabienTDR wrote:Well, even the name sucks by several standards.

Let's have a listen at his latest"incredible" recordings..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfH16XrEfc

This guys is a crazy, coward murderer. I really don't understand how some ppl can follow anything "Meek", both from the musical and moral point of view.
How is it possible to post such bile while attempting to claim the moral high ground?
Until I read that, I was seriously considering MeekPro for my 5th place vote.
It now has my 5 points (apologies to the other 4 I voted for, and the 3 or 4 others I was considering: your votes will be a point short of their rightful tally this DC; but I believe it is in a just cause).
I urge you to consider doing so also.
Such ignorant and bigoted views have no place on a public forum such as this.
Nor are the people who post them welcome.
Please join me in this stand against intolerance, and the slander of the great by the mediocre.

Ew, I had no idea who he was, or who any producer is. I thought the audio software here was fun, that's how I voted. I have no intention of using any of these plugins.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Syntilla wrote:Until I read that, I was seriously considering MeekPro for my 5th place vote.
It now has my 5 points
Are you trying to turn the KVR DC into some kind of political vote? :roll:

No doubt Joe Meek is a legend, just listen to the proto synth-stormer Telstar for evdience.

But because somebody posts an inconsiderate comment about him, should thus the KVR DC prize be given to the Meek plug to teach that guy a lesson? :help:
Last edited by Numanoid on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:Are you trying to turn the KVR DC into some kind of political vote? :roll:
Isn't it always?

BTW a digresion: I remember reading an interview with Maggie Thatcher in Smash Hits back in '87 (it was a shameless election push I guess), but there when questioned about which kind of tune she liked to "rock out" to, she listed Telstar

Kind of funny in many ways :D

My election pledge if my plugins arrives in 5 first ones :

_ Improve the compatibility of the product.
* Find the Package Visual Basic C++ redistributable to install for the unlucky persons
* Make compatible the plugins with platforms 64 bits and PIMP BONE Within one year
_ Improve the graphical interface
_ Create others version lighter alternatives (CPU !!!)
_ More sound bank compatible for It
_ Some new attractives module FX
_ Create a platform of free exchange of sounds

I would need less than a week to realize certain objectives

Vote for who you know !

(and more drag and drop... :) )

Syntilla, this is ridiculous. Are you defending Joe Meek? Or your own product's naming?

1. Why don't you simply answer in the original thread? How exactly does my person relate to the KVRDC14?! (I don't participate, just in case you didn't notice)

Have a look at the original thread you are referring to. Someone asked why the market isn't full of Joe Meek vst emulations. I answered that I'm seriously wondering about the hype, as this guy didn't inspire me to the slightest (again, not just morally, but also artistically and technologically). What's the problem with that? It's an opinion.

2. Moral ground? I don't care, this is called freedom of expression. I don't feel obligated to political correctness. If moral ground is that important to you, why are you trying to discredit an unrelated person (me) in order to push whatever products? I think most KVR users are smart enough to spot the manipulative part of your post. BTW, Robin Williams did not kill another human. This is an important difference in this case.

3. Blasphemy is not a concept I am giving much attention. Have fun with your gods, but leave me alone. I don't free ppl from minimal human standards just because they are hyped for whatever reason. Mentally ill or not, I don't care. I apply the same human standards to everybody. And ppl killing other ppl because of a "bad mood" is by far the lowest category I can imagine. Other ppl live in famine, illness or extreme political repression without ever feeling the need to take other's lives. He did because of debts and a bad mood. These aren't exactly the best justifications for a murderer. IMHO, they even are some of the worst imaginable, right after "he killed for fun".

4. Your post sounds more like an attempt to justify the naming of (your?) product. I'm sure you took the time to "respectfully" ask his family for using his name?
Last edited by FabienTDR on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Syntilla wrote:Even if you have no interest in – or intentions of voting for – MeekPro, please consider this before casting your votes

Please join me in this stand against intolerance, and the slander of the great by the mediocre.
This has nothing to do with intolerance. If the plugin doesn't cut it, it won't get my points.
PERIOD!

And since you're begging for points, you just instantly qualified yourself to me.
Another PERIOD.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

And I doubt the MeekPro dev will earn any votes from feminists, based on this GUI of one of his earlier creations :o :hihi:

Should I report this image?

I mean... KVR is fairly strict in terms of "adult content" - and this would count as that, no?
OT and HPC all over again?!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

FabienTDR wrote:Syntilla, this is ridiculous. Are you defending Joe Meek? Or your own product's naming?
Which product would that be?
FabienTDR wrote: Why don't you simply answer in the original thread?
I did.
FabienTDR wrote:It's an opinion.
You also wrote 'I really don't understand how some ppl can follow anything "Meek" ' Well, maybe that's their opinion - what's wrong with that?
FabienTDR wrote: Moral ground? I don't care
Well, that's quite evident.
FabienTDR wrote: I think most KVR users are smart enough to spot the manipulative part of your post.
Which would be what, exactly?
FabienTDR wrote:BTW, Robin Williams did not kill another human. This is an important difference in this case.
You clearly didn't understand the point I was making - you really should try to do that before commenting.
FabienTDR wrote:. Blasphemy is not a concept I am giving much attention.
Then why bring it up? No-one else did.
FabienTDR wrote: Mentally ill or not, I don't care.
No shit?
FabienTDR wrote:bad mood
Says it all.
Dismissing the millions of people worldwide suffering severe depressive illnesses as being in a 'bad mood'.
Yeah, Williams killed himself because he was feeling a bit 'grumpy'.

Which part of 'bigot' didn't you understand?

I think the bottom line is the dev is a beginner trying to have some fun, and probably didn't know the criminal past stuff. So either you can vote based on whatever you think of the audio software, or choose to feel that it's over the line. There's not much to say.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

This thread has the opposite effect on me, it doesn't make me want to vote for Meek Pro at all...

Imagine I'd call a plugin Spector Pro (which would be a great name, BTW) and made a thread about how great Phil Spector WAS, I doubt that people would vote for it just because of the spectacular name...

Tricky-Loops wrote:Imagine I'd call a plugin Spector Pro (which would be a great name, BTW) and made a thread about how great Phil Spector WAS.
Yeah, Spector was a wrong'un, f'sure. Even pulled heat on Johnny Ramone, by all accounts.
So how would you feel if someone trashed all his music (and hence your plugin) purely on the strength of that?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”