Native vs. DSP - What am I missing here?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

According to several links I've come across this particular mobo is extremely picky when it comes to RAM so it might be that eg:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11103

However on this site:

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/ ... t3157.html

someone has reported that if you load the install CD it automatically installs win 98 drivers for the realtek onboard audio (despite the OS - bugged installer) - not something you would want running on an audio system I'm sure. Just a thought ;)

whyterabbyt wrote:I'm inclined to suspect heat or memory issues...
I agree, it pretty much sounds like it (unless the Lynx has dodgy drivers).

FWIW, Kontakt 2 doesn't crash whenever I'm not importing 3rd party stuff (which still seems to be a bit sluggish, but from what I know, an update is in the pipelines).
Of course, bad RAM could easily enhance certain faults when dealing with samplebased things.

And, did you check your CPU temperature?
I remember my old audio PC going all havoc after a while of running it, while the temperature "seemed" to be OK. I took the fan off the cooling grill though to crosscheck and couldn't believe HOW much dust there was. After a little vacuumcleaning job everything was back to normal instantly.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Hi Eric.... small world : ) Kontakt 2 has a bug that if some setttings are set to zero and wired like say mod wheel to something and at zero it uses up a lot of cpu. Wish they would fix the interpolation quality on Kontakt 2, Emu X was good sound quality but sucked on everything else.

I use A64's and they are the fastest cpu for vsti's for sure, I build a few of these for studio's. Looking forward to the duel core.

What makes me think it's not a heat issue is that the problem will arise even right after the computer has turned on yet I can go for 8 hours straight when working with audio alone. Is there something I'm missing that may cause heat to be an issue more with softsynths than with audio? Anyway, I'll definitely be checking the memory soon.

Something strange that seems to have helped is turning off the AMD Cool 'n Quiet stuff in the BIOS. Once I did that, a patch that crashed Kontakt with only 2 notes playing could now be played with 20+ notes before crashing. It was still the same crash after all but at least the software's useable now.

btw, I'm on Nuendo 2.

Return to “Instruments”