zebra feature request: drum mode

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xh3rv wrote:I think where this stuff gets tricky is a) single sounds built from multiple layers and b) groups of sounds (e.g. a set of congas), stuff where one might want multiple patches into a single effects strip. Drum Racks can handle this, a lot of (not always fun to manage) routing in a host can handle this. But I guess it seems to me like being able to do that from one instance of Zebra would be pretty keen.
Yes, it's looking like CPU craziness ... but a drum mode for Zebra - in some form or another - would be brilliant.

I can only think of a rather basic alternative: an auto capture module in Zebra that sampled a single note and dumped it to a folder - named and trimmed with micro-fades on the head and tail. Much faster and more direct than using a DAW or editor.

Might be a good excuse for Urs to consider building a sampler ... you know, one that really samples, is actually a breeze to use, damn quick to edit, that has lovely morph / crossfade / resynthesis capabilites ... alas, I digress ... :D

Btw xh3rv, my compliments on the Vanilla percussion stuff - crafty work indeed. ;)

rumba_codex wrote: Btw xh3rv, my compliments on the Vanilla percussion stuff - crafty work indeed. ;)
Thanks, if only the ladies were equally impressed ;)

pierb wrote:So I'd like to use Zebra from drum sounds. Yeah I know I can... but the pita is having a different instance of zebra on different channels for different drum sounds.

That is simply a pain to sequence.
Just a thought, but maybe in the meantime maybe set up a template w/ sends and MIDI filters so you only have to sequence on one track? A bit of work to set up but you'd only have to do it once.

bM3w wrote:
Urs wrote:How about a multitimbral Zebra Player which can load 8 or 16 different patches?
+10
Urs wrote:Or maybe indeed a drum machine that loads Zebra patches on its channels...
+100^2

Pleeeeaaaaazzzzzeee :love: :love: :love:

+1 for this!

I'll join the +100^2 crew!
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

i was going to ask about a uhe drum machine just the other day and here we have a thread about it... i would love a drum machine zebra hyrbrid :D

Urs wrote: Or maybe indeed a drum machine that loads Zebra patches on its channels...

;) Urs
Just another +1. That would be great.

Yeah, I've been accumulating some ideas...

As you might know, I already *have* a drum machine. It's the ltmLab - "love the machines lab" that's been available with German Sound & Recording magazine for 5 years now, each time with a different sample set and newly designed patterns. In December we will celebrate the 60th incarnation of it.

It features 8 instruments with one or two samples each and 16 steps per pattern. Up to 4 patterns can be linked. Each instrument can for each step be tuned, panned, mixed, accented (2nd sample) or even reversed.

So I thought of this, based on what I already have:

64 patterns

8 sequences/channels with 2 Zebra patches each

For each step you can set tuning, volume and XY controls individually per channel

From outside you can trigger each of the 16 instruments and automate each set of XY-Controls

For each instrument you can bypass the effects

Each instrument will run in legato mode, no matter what the preset is made like (no arps, no polyphonic stuff)

No individual editors. All editing capabilities have to be forced into the XY controls for each instrument

Estimated release date is November 2014 though :oops:

I like the mix/morph idea between the two presets.

Some more ideas:

step length (note duration, could be percentage instead of usual half/quarter/eighth)
step offset (-50% / +50%)
swing parameter

I've given this a lot of thought - tried pretty much every tool on the market, and here are my conclusions / desires:

(1) modularity rules - it would be great to be able to tease apart different modules from the larger drum machine for individual use in, say, Ableton Live's drum racks. (e.g., kick module, snare module, cymbal module, other percussion modules, and a dedicated drum sequencer module[!]).

(2) 2-layer interface for each module: 'basic' layer just includes simple controls most tailored to that individual module, 'advanced' mode opens up the larger synth control pane

(3) 64 bit. There is no decent standalone drum sequencer/synth that I know of in 64 bit currently. And the 64 bit drum machines are pretty much all sample-based - which sucks for dedicated synthesists.

(4) killer additive engine w/ re-synthesis ability to use for cymbals, gongs, bells, etc.

(5) multiple outs for external FX, etc. (again, keeping with the modularity approach).

one can dream...

Urs wrote:Yeah, I've been accumulating some ideas...

As you might know, I already *have* a drum machine. It's the ltmLab - "love the machines lab" that's been available with German Sound & Recording magazine for 5 years now, each time with a different sample set and newly designed patterns. In December we will celebrate the 60th incarnation of it.

It features 8 instruments with one or two samples each and 16 steps per pattern. Up to 4 patterns can be linked. Each instrument can for each step be tuned, panned, mixed, accented (2nd sample) or even reversed.

So I thought of this, based on what I already have:

64 patterns

8 sequences/channels with 2 Zebra patches each

For each step you can set tuning, volume and XY controls individually per channel

From outside you can trigger each of the 16 instruments and automate each set of XY-Controls

For each instrument you can bypass the effects

Each instrument will run in legato mode, no matter what the preset is made like (no arps, no polyphonic stuff)

No individual editors. All editing capabilities have to be forced into the XY controls for each instrument

Estimated release date is November 2014 though :oops:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo URS!!!!!!

You can not tease us like that and then tell us we have to wait 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Seriously, that would be amazing. AFAIK this can only be done with reaktor which is not the most straightforward tool... and it does not sound as good as zebra imo.

We love you Urs!

Return to “u-he”