Tracktion/Reaktor Issue

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just spent three hours composing something using Tracktion and Reaktor, and uncovered a flaw in either one or both of them. I'm uncertain who is at fault here and as such, this message has been posted on the Tracktion KVR forum, and the Native Instruments Reaktor message board.

www.rawmaterialsoftware.com <--- for those on the NI site (tracktion)
www.nativeinstruments.com <--- for those on the KVR site (reaktor)

Basically, the automation system on Tracktion does NOT work properly with Reaktor. If you create an ensemble in Reaktor, with a few knobs and then automate these in Tracktion, everything seems to be okay. Create a copy of the edit (the tracktion edit, not the ensemble) and open it. The automation will not be kept intact.

This could either be down to Tracktion not following a standard, or the braindead way that Reaktor deals with VST instances (you cannot share a single ensemble file between instances, terrible things start to happen to it). I don't know, that's why I've posted in two places.

This makes Reaktor very, very difficult to use in Tracktion, because you essentially end up having to have one ensemble file per VST instance. Multiply these by the number of edits and you end up with a very nasty dependency issue that results in tedious duplication of files and rebuilding of edits.

Why can we not go back to the old method? You could open a Reaktor ensemble with 16 outputs regardless of your soundcard, and then all the instruments within that ensemble would be safe and could be automated (midi only, at that time). Now I'm almost scared to use Reaktor within Tracktion because I cannot say with 100% certainty that the edit I see when I save and close will be in the same state when I re-open it.

It's time that Jules (tracktion developer) and Native Instruments contacted each other to resolve these issues. I'm not aware if the problem exists with any other sequencers as I don't have the money to test them.

To end on a friendly note, kudos to both developers for making such fine products (at least they are as long as you don't get them too close to each other...) :)

mark
www.darklogik.org
OS X 10.3.4
DELTA 66
1536mb RAM

This is for the benefit of those not registered on the NI board:

<posted on NI and Tracktion forums>

Sorry, to clarify:

The automation in the COPY of the edit will not be intact. The original automation will not be affected.

If two edits share one .ens file, and one edit modifies the .ens, the automation in the other edit will be damaged. This is what I mean when I said that you need one .ens per instance, per edit - this results in a LOT of .ens files laying about.

Tracktion is due for version two soon, if these issues could be fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade. As it stands right now, Tracktion isn't much use as I only really use Reaktor VST.

mark
www.darklogik.org
OS X 10.3.4
DELTA 66
1536mb RAM

The problem is two fold. Atleast on Reaktor Sessions and Tracktion. At the moment Tracktion can not copy paste modulation data with clips, but you can do it seperately. Allso at the moment Reaktor Sessions does not save presets within host.

Bouth theese problems have been adressed to be taken care of from the developers.

-hope im not missunderstanding, as im a very space person :P

Kim

Return to “Tracktion”