Favourite discontinued DAW(s) - the things you wish that didn't die

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8 energyXT Logic Pro MuLab App Muzys Orion Project 5 Temper

My obvious first choice would be Logic on windows as that ran so well. I reckon if they ever updated 5.5.1 to just include multi core and be able to work in 64 bit, i would have used it as it was for a very very long time. I just loved it.

The other for me is Orion Pro. I am rather sad about that. I owned orion for a while and made some truly wonderful music on it (well wonderful for me at the time :) )
The thing is, i used to make complete songs in orion from start to finish in hours. I remember one day I was with my best friend and we started a brand new song from scratch.. all original, composed in the lounge room all via MOUSING in orion! We started around 3 or 4pm and had it being played at the club that very same night! (this was in the days of cd burning lol). It was very inspirational to compose.

I feel very sad Rich stopped it TBH. I felt things went a bit sour after he made the drastic decision to remove rewire slave functionality.. Yes the daw itself got better but it had alot of audio track limitations which was it's downfall as that was never improved - so it really was more ideal as a rewire slave to something like ableton live.. that combo was extremely potent.

What DAW has been officially obliterated that you were very fond of, sad about?

For me it is EnergyXT 1.4. I still use it, especially the VST plugin for easy routing and chaining, but it still feels unfinished. Newer EnergyXT just doesn't have the same appeal for me.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

XT 1.4 no doubt, best DAW around until that idiot discontinued updating it in favour of that other mess.
Duh

I loved emagic Logic. The style in version 4 and 5 is still the best in colours and graphic design IMO. I missed it for a long time in the past, but not now.
I think Apple did well with Logic, but it could be better of course. If emagic continued and had Logic in both platforms, then I imagine Logic would be priced like Cubase with two or three versions (like before, Gold and Platinum) and mostly would use hardware dongle (iLok probably).
I would still prefer Ableton Live or Bitwig studio + Reaper as a second/alternative host however!

Orion also was sad to discontinue. I liked the workflow more than in FL Studio, and it was easier to understand. However, I'm glad that Richard made a hit with Dune (especially Dune 2). I believe it was a wise decision to concentrate on Dune rather than Orion which needs much more time to develop and support without that return I guess. Can't wait what are the plans for Dune 3 as Dune 2 is becoming my favourite synth very fast (I like it even more than Blofeld :o )

Without doubt, for me, the biggest loss was the ceasing of Opcode Studio Vision, after Gibson buyout of Opcode.
Fernando (FMR)

Temper

aMUSEd wrote:Temper
+1000

This is amazing as it is but could have been huge, was the Bitwig of its day:(

I was more sad about losing this than losing Muzys, another great DAW, wonder what happened to the Dev ;)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Acid Pro. Still use it from time to time but really would love to see it updated.
-Matt

Pro24

msorrels wrote:Acid Pro. Still use it from time to time but really would love to see it updated.

good one. I have a soft spot for that too and if they just overhauled reliability and the gui a bit and brought it into 21st century.. well let's just say Acid was always awesome anyway.. i a also a bit sad sony have abandoned it i must admit!

Opcode Studio Vision was a disastrous loss.
Last edited by atukao on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Project5.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Project 5
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

atukao wrote:Opcode Studio Vision was a disastrous loss.
If there was anything close to a correct answer in this thread, this is it.

SVP was so far ahead of its time. Most of the projects listed here so far just showed potential... SVP was already there.

Edison's Reproducer from 1878.

A whole band in one sitting. NO MOUSE!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”