Digital Emulation of Analogue - Who Cares?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I care deeply - it's important to talk to about

It's somewhat important to me
45%
I don't care at all / it's not important to me
55%

Total votes: 183

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seven years ... and still nobody cares. :neutral:

Well, some developers do care, I suppose...

Sometimes when I hear some dated music like the old Jarre space stuff, I have to tell myself, don't blame it on analog, one might as well have made great music with his gear :hihi:

Even from purely an observational point of view: I think that it's fantastic how close they can get! One of my current favorites - is Korg's ODYSSEi - which runs on a iPad! Lol!

Even if your opinion is completely​ different about it's accuracy then mine (which I respect) it's an amazing sounding app by any reasonable metric - and not for much $$$ -

These are golden times for all synth things, indeed.

If money and space were no object - in spite of a huge investment that I'd make into a modular system - there's *no way* that I'd get rid any of the software that I currently use, which includes plenty of instruments and effects that emulate analog hardware.

LAWL! Those were the days...
I've still got a bunch of analogs and a bunch of virtual analogs. "Sound quality" is not an issue for me and hasn't been for a long time. Most synths that are available now are much better than the stuff I started with. I actually seek out shitty sounding stuff because it's often just as fun to play with, as high-end gear.
I'm still glad there are creative devs out there trying to push the envelope. I'll keep trying to make it sound broken.

justin3am wrote:I'll keep trying to make it sound broken.
:band:

voted.

I've gone full circle and am now focused in depth on accomplishing the task of making my electronic circuits sound indistinguishable in comparison to software. Xnalog.

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

:/
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Hell, yeah! :tu:

Edit: I just watched the whole video - sound turned up - w/the kids doing their homework - they didn't even flinch! Lol!

My daughter, like a lot of kids these days, likes game music - she brought home a violin from school today(!) & then showed me a YouTube video of Taylor Davis playing a theme from a Zelda game.

And now she's showing a YT video of Taylor playing a couple songs from the game: 'Undertales' -

What was once fringe is now mainstream -

Didn't sound too close to the original when I saw Mr. Bundrick play it live maybe a decade ago - he used a Kurzweil vs the original: a Hammond (BV?) running through a VCS filter (the claim is that a Lowrey organ was used - I don't think so - conventional wisdom is that Pete used what was available in the studio at the time, which was likely a Hammond)

Who cares?

Those of us that notice - and are, at times, somewhat distracted by the difference.

- especially when you can tell that they aren't even trying -

Speaking of trying: Roger has had serious hearing issues for years - but he still showed up. And sometimes: he would even derail - like what's seen in this video, as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLMo524tPs

In front of millions.

Yet: I wonder how many people really noticed (or even cared) what had happened; and why?

Sometimes - like perhaps in this case: I think that it's probably better that people don't.

My empty stomach started singing along to this.

I think I'm going to focus on control of the noises my empty stomach makes - you can't get more analog than that

Return to “Instruments”