How can I install Doepfers Dark Time (Firmware 1.2) into Bitwig (Vers. 1.3.16)?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear Bitwig-Users,

how can I install / setup Doepfers Dark Time (Firmware 1.2) into Bitwig Version 1.3.16?

The Dark Time is connected via USB to my PC (Windows 7). I also use Arturia Keylab 49 as Master Midi-Keyboard. Furthermore a MFB Tanzmaus is connected via Midi-Cable into the external Edirol Firewire Soundcard FA-101.

But how can I setup the DT into Bitwig? Sorry to all the masters here, but I am a newbie and I hope you can help me out. :wink:

Thanks a lot in advance. :tu:

What do you exactly mean? Isn't Dark Time a sequencer? Do you want to use it to modulate stuff inside Bitwig? For that you will need an Expert Sleepers interface to convert CV into audio and then use an audio follower modulator device.

Greetings Taika-Kim,

yes I know the Dark Time is a Hardware Sequencer and Bitwig is a Software-Sequencer. Usually I start Bitwig and play notes with the Midi-Keyboard and program the MFB Tanzmaus. Now I want to send the notes played by the Midi-Keyboard to the Dark Time and turn the knobs. The manual is telling me: " Dark Time is a modern tool for sound creation and can easily be connected to analog synthesizer, but ALSO to all sorts of other analog or digital gear which is suitably equipped with MIDI/USB port and / or CV/Gate connectors. Dark Time can easily be connected to every modern computer-based studio ..."

I just want Bitwig to record the sound.
Sorry fo the strange thinking. :wink:

On the other hand I have some more analog synths and maybe it would be much more effective to buy a Hardware-Mixer ....

Thanx anyway for your help and time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you here, I think your problem is that the dark time is just a sequencer, not a synthesizer - it won't make any sound on its own, so there is nothing that Bitwig could record.

The dark ENERGY is doepfers synthesizer.

Hello Redukt,

thanx for your reply and I know that the Dark Time doesnt make any sound by its own and I have to plug in the synth- or drum computer gear for that, BUT i want to record it in the DAW (Bitwig in my case).

When I understand right, the DT sends the movements and settings I do via midi or USB to the synth. Furthermore its important to set the DT as Master or Slave.

So its not possible to play the Master-Midi-Keyboard in Bitwig using for e.g. Analog Lab 3 and modulate with the DT? :help:

Manual German: "Ein an DT MIDI-In Buchse bzw. USB angeschlossenes Midi-Keyboard ermöglicht das Transportieren von DT Sequenzen."

Sorry for the crazy newbie thoughts.

So what you're asking, is just how to send MIDI out from BW to Dark Time? That depends on Dark Time, if it can send incoming notes also to it's output, combining them with it's own sequencing (possibly called "MIDI thru" in DT manual).

If I'm understanding you right, you should just use a HW Out device, select your MIDI output (usually from your audio interface), then connect a MIDI cable to the Dark Time. Then set it up so that it sends incoming MIDI to it's output. Connect another MIDI cable from DT output to the synth you are sequencing. Connect audio cable(s) to audio interface input. Set in HW Instrument in BW the incoming audio channel.

Return to “Bitwig”