New things from Unfiltered Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

thelizard wrote:
Hez wrote:Was just wondering whether anybody else gets some strange behaviour from other (non-UA) plugins when one or more UA plugins are present in a project? This is probably pretty specific to Bitwig but I figured I'd ask in here as not many people seem to use UA plugins over on the Bitwig forum.

There are two main behaviours that I can reliably reproduce:

1. When one or more UA plugins are present in a project, a few choice other plugins will crash when activating the audio engine exactly once for each instance of a UA plugin. SPC ArcSyn is one plugin which suffers from this issue. E.g. if I add two instances of Unfiltered Audio Fault to a project, then add Arcsyn, then restart the audio engine, ArcSyn will crash twice and need to be reloaded before it finally activates properly.

2. When at least one UA plugin is present in a project, some delay VSTs start behaving as if the project has a tempo of 0, i.e. time synced delays suddenly get hugely long and glitchy delay times. UVI Relayer is an example of a plugin that gets affected by this.

I haven't had any luck getting the Bitwig devs to look into this and bizarrely it is only Unfiltered Audio plugins which cause this behaviour.
That is very unusual! I'll get in touch with those devs to see if we can figure out what's happening.

EDIT: It looks like the QA team has been in contact with UVI. We have a detailed report that I somehow missed on the bug tracker. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
No worries - thanks a lot for looking into it. It's been a little hard to get any traction because a.) I haven't seen anybody else with similar issues and b.) it sits across so many developers that it's kind of impossible to solve in a single exchange.

Feel free to PM me on here (or I can PM you my email address) if you need any further detail on the behaviour, accurate steps to reproduce etc. My instinct is that the issue lies with Bitwig (as surely only the host can be responsible for 'cross-contamination' issues between separate plugins), but as it's only UA plugins triggering the problems, it must be a very specific part of the VST spec/VST handling which is falling over. Hopefully you can solve their problem for them ;)

Thanks again for looking into it - it's hugely appreciated.

*Updated* Contacted the dev and helped squash a bug.

:tu: for the awesome support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I've been having a blast using SpecOps however I've found what I think might be a bug.
Do you get the same thing with less 'harsh' automation? I've found that the freeze modules have a habit of remembering the 'previous' freeze rather than starting a 'new' freeze when slammed from 0 to 100 instantaneously. I work around by including a fraction of a second at 0.1% before slamming up to 100%.

edit: actually I guess it can't be the above if things work normally in real-time.

Another possibility is that I've found Live's 'ignore automation' button (a few notches right from the 'play' icon) extremely sensitive where SpecOps is concerned. Usually it only lights up (thus bypassing all automation) when you manually tweak an automated parameter, but it seems to light up no matter what you tweak in SpecOps, automated or not. Well worth double checking that's not lit up.

cron wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I've been having a blast using SpecOps however I've found what I think might be a bug.
Do you get the same thing with less 'harsh' automation? I've found that the freeze modules have a habit of remembering the 'previous' freeze rather than starting a 'new' freeze when slammed from 0 to 100. I'm guessing that in a rendering situation, there isn't a previous freeze and so this could come out as silence. I work around by including a fraction of a second at 0.1% before slamming up to 100%.

Another possibility is that I've found Live's 'ignore automation' button (a few notches right from the 'play' icon) extremely sensitive where SpecOps is concerned. Usually it only lights up (thus bypassing all automation) when you manually tweak an automated parameter, but it seems to light up no matter what you tweak in SpecOps, automated or not. Well worth double checking that's not lit up.
I'll try your work around and see if that helps.

Yah I've been turning the red light off to ensure automation is played back properly before rendering and it still does this after rendering.

Thank you for the report. I'll take a look at this immediately and see if I can recreate it.

thelizard wrote:Thank you for the report. I'll take a look at this immediately and see if I can recreate it.
Great! Let me know if you need my project file or anything.

V0RT3X wrote:
thelizard wrote:Thank you for the report. I'll take a look at this immediately and see if I can recreate it.
Great! Let me know if you need my project file or anything.
PM'ing you, then!

still very much enjoying Spec Ops, so much that I've bought Sandman Pro and Fault.

any reason why the GUI on Fault is smaller? I'm partially visually impaired and I really like the bigger GUIs
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:still very much enjoying Spec Ops, so much that I've bought Sandman Pro and Fault.

any reason why the GUI on Fault is smaller? I'm partially visually impaired and I really like the bigger GUIs
The GUI for Fault is resizable. In the Options menu (gear icon next to presets), there is a drop-down box to select the interface scale.

Thanks for the support!

ah ok, I may have resized Spec Ops and then forgot about it.

Hooray for resizable GUIs, many thanks
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I vote for more effects or spectral transformation modes in SpecOps :hyper:

Also I thought it would be very natural for Unfiltered Audio to have a dedicated granular synthesis plugin.
Probably Sandman Pro does some granular synthesis but it's not really made for that.

Soarer wrote: Probably Sandman Pro does some granular synthesis but it's not really made for that.
Its an effect plugin ;)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

It sure is. I'm talking about a granular effect (I still believe it's called granular synthesis, no?)

Soarer wrote:It sure is. I'm talking about a granular effect (I still believe it's called granular synthesis, no?)
Depends if you want to argue about semantics or technicalities
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Soarer wrote:I vote for more effects or spectral transformation modes in SpecOps...
I'd love a few more effects in SpecOps too. NEVER ENOUGH EFFECTS :hyper:

My main request at the moment would be the ability to freely reorder the modules by drag and drop. A few more slots too perhaps? .

Also the freeze bug in some (or all?) modules where if you slam from 0 to 100% instantaneously you get whatever you've freezed previously rather than a 'new' freeze. You can slam back and forth from 0 to 100% and the content of the freeze is the same every time. Easy enough to work around by adding a minuscule moment of 0.1% before you slam to 100%, but it does make automation a bit of a fanny.

Return to “Effects”