Emergency! Need Synth ASAP (Contest Ends March 1)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:you could do an rnb specific sounds bank for a minimoog.
R&B isn't a strong suit of mine. I'd need to do way too much research of tunes from the 70s and 80s and then, somehow get my hands on patch sheets if I'm going to recreate them authentically. A lot of work for what will probably be very little return.

wagtunes wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Rapture Pro, DiscoDSP Corona, Sylenth, NI Razor, Diversion, PPG Wave3...

OR get yourself a copy of Reason 10 and start making some refills for rack extensions and stock devices :tu:

Though if you dig too deep in to Reason, I'm a bit afraid that you won't find your way back anymore.

You turn into ones and zeros.
Rapture Pro I own. Not sure why it's not on the list. After the closing of DiscoDSP lost confidence in the site. Sylenth1 on my list of never in a million years and I explained my reasons. Razor I own as part of Komplete 11 Ultimate. Diversion I hate the sound of. Like Thorn a lot more. PPG Wave 3 GUI is a train wreck. I demo'd it and don't like it or the sound.

Reason is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down for too many reasons to get into here, not the least of which is that integrating it with Cubase is going to be a nightmare, if at all even possible. Believe me, I'd love to own Thor. But as I can't use it with any of my Cubase projects, it's pointless.
DiscoDSP is up again and Corona is very good synth. Maybe a bit old and not so popular.. But a fine instrument indeed.

When it comes to Diversion, you're just wrong :lol: No matter what you're going to say, if it's not praise.. You're wrong ;)

AFAIK hooking up Reason as a slave to Cubase is easy as couple of clicks. At least it used to be 10 years ago when I used that combination for awhile. Though I understand that Reason can be a bit intimidating if you're used to use synths that have 2 oscillators, one filter, 2 envelopes and one global lfo.

Xils-lab Oxium? FabFilter Twin 2?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:Xils-lab Oxium? FabFilter Twin 2?
I own Oxium (should be on the list) and Twin has already been mentioned.

The one synth that desperately needs and really deserves a proper additional sound library is Loomer Aspect. Great sounding little synth, shamelessly overlooked though.

Nielzie wrote:The one synth that desperately needs and really deserves a proper additional sound library is Loomer Aspect. Great sounding little synth, shamelessly overlooked though.
As I said, doesn't fulfill criteria 9. I'm tired of pulling my hair out of my head trying to get 150 sounds out of a synth because it has 3 waveforms.

wagtunes wrote:
Nielzie wrote:The one synth that desperately needs and really deserves a proper additional sound library is Loomer Aspect. Great sounding little synth, shamelessly overlooked though.
As I said, doesn't fulfill criteria 9. I'm tired of pulling my hair out of my head trying to get 150 sounds out of a synth because it has 3 waveforms.
With enough modulation and shaping options that shouldn't be a problem? It not about the size (of the wav list), it's what you can do with it! :D

Nielzie wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
With enough modulation and shaping options that shouldn't be a problem? It not about the size (of the wav list), it's what you can do with it! :D
Unlike a lot of sound designers (hell, just listen to the factory presets) I don't take a sound and tweak the filter a little or make the envelope a little shorter and call it a different sound. Please don't get me started on these 150 patch sound libraries that are essentially 25 sounds with slightly different settings.

I wonder about the focus on synths only so far.
I have myself now so many (not many as you) and i think it´s possible to get 1000´s of sounds out of every synth.
I feel myself saturated with synths now since i think i have the best from everything (at least what it´s the best for me).
FX is where i see a bigger gap. Creative FX, Delays and reverbs and whatever can transform every synth in something else.
When i go trough some presets and create my own i find it these days more interesting than programming a synth.
Otherwise i find the most creative and interesting thing to make specific multi-instruments for DAW´s. Where a patch include several instruments, FX, MIDi FX etc.
There is so much someone can do. Limit yourself and you will be frustraited :D
I also agree that there might be a market for wagtunes but i listened to a lot demos and think also other sound designer put much more work into their presets, especially for performance and an organic feel to play them.
If you like no critic you should not start these threads.....but you know that of course.
But it´s simply true that there are sound designers which do well will lots of presets banks for the same synth.
Maybe out of topic but i still find a lot of the Alchemy presets the most interesting in terms of creativity and sound design. I was waiting for these sound sets like a child on Christmas (my favorite is still Martin Walkers Steamworx). These were mainly 150 presets which sometimes needed months to create. Even the 8 variations inside one preset often included more variety than other synth presets on it´s own.
There are lots of great Zebra and Omnisphere and whatever presets and it seems there is still a market for more.
If you even cant´t find the next tool......you might need just more creativity and new ideas.
Sorry, but sometimes it sounds more like you are just are searching for the next trainwrecked thread (even if it´s your own) or you need more social contact in any way :D
I know you don´t want to hear that and so i will leave this thread and you can go on to fight against windmills.
I wish you good luck!

wagtunes wrote:A lot of work for what will probably be very little return.
It's always a numbers game for people who are looking to make money from their art. However, I think your view is much more short-sighted. You seem to crank out sound-design like you're working the factory floor; Do the work as quick as you can and then cash the cheque.

I get that you need to put food on the table, and there are far worse ways than having this as a job. However, there will always be a conflict when such a numbers game is played with what should be regarded as another art-form. And I think this is where you are getting the most criticism from. Musicians want sounds that inspire them to make great art, and this is at odds with your need for a monthly wage.

I'm not sure what you think when you hear libraries from designers like Luftrum, Simon Stockhausen, The Unfinished etc. I have never got the sense that you are inspired to become a better sound designer; Certainly, none of your replies - in this thread, or other similar, past threads- lead me to think otherwise (It is all a numbers game). And this is where I think you are at fault thinking in the short-term. Of course, if you shift everything to being in service of the sound, rather than the deadline, things are going to take a lot longer. However, levelling up the quality in this way is likely to produce exponentially greater sales, in the long run.

Or you could just keep getting surprised that August's library sold a few more than April's, or that your second library of February's synth sold so badly that you can only deduce that people take issue with second sets :shrug:

Anyway, I'm out before I get accused of trolling...or hating :tu:

wagtunes wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Unlike a lot of sound designers (hell, just listen to the factory presets) I don't take a sound and tweak the filter a little or make the envelope a little shorter and call it a different sound. Please don't get me started on these 150 patch sound libraries that are essentially 25 sounds with slightly different settings.
Ok, I give up.

Nielzie wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Ok, I give up.
I think we're better off continuing sentences in three words. Much simpler, and more fun :shrug:

Cinebient wrote: FX is where i see a bigger gap. Creative FX, Delays and reverbs and whatever can transform every synth in something else.
When i go trough some presets and create my own i find it these days more interesting than programming a synth.
Otherwise i find the most creative and interesting thing to make specific multi-instruments for DAW´s. Where a patch include several instruments, FX, MIDi FX etc.
There is so much someone can do. Limit yourself and you will be frustraited :D
I think FX is the route to go down if you're running out of ideas for synth programming (and to be honest, in many ways, there's a fair amount of duplication in terms of sound and function in many of the synths you already own). Download the demo for Sandman Pro as one example, listen to the included presets and see if you can come up with some good banks with that, you like modular stuff so something like that would probably be ideal for you.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
wagtunes wrote:A lot of work for what will probably be very little return.
It's always a numbers game for people who are looking to make money from their art. However, I think your view is much more short-sighted. You seem to crank out sound-design like you're working the factory floor; Do the work as quick as you can and then cash the cheque.
Because hes still a student, did you ever listen to his patches, truly uninspired and n00bish.

I can only imagine those that buy his packs are deaf, lazy or didnt bother to listen to the demos
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I would really, really recommend spending time with the Madrona Labs stuff and trying to come to terms with the interface. Conceptually and sonically, Aalto and Kaivo both seem very much in your west coast-friendly wheelhouse, and I think once the GUI clicks, you'll have a lot of fun with them.

Return to “Instruments”