Rompler to complement VPS Avenger synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SparkySpark wrote: Anlon: if you haven't looked at Proteus VX yet then I think you might want to. It is really great and a great gift from E-MU. ...and so much less hassle than huge GB libraries.
I downloaded it, but it won't start. Either it's my 64bit Windows or the 64bit Tracktion that's preventing it from working properly.

I got the Air Xpand for a few quid now. And it sounds okay. The GUI is a bit tiny though.

The various free orchestra sample packs should tide me over for now, but I might get GPO or GIO eventually. It doesn't sound as incredible as dedicated Kontakt orchestral libraries, but better than the freebies.

Yes it is a shame the VX (=Proteus 2000) hasn't been updated properly.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Anlon wrote: I got the Air Xpand for a few quid now. And it sounds okay. The GUI is a bit tiny though
Korg M1 is also on sale ATM 50% off which I still think sounds better than Air Xpand, especially for things like woodwinds.

generaldiomedes wrote:
Anlon wrote: I got the Air Xpand for a few quid now. And it sounds okay. The GUI is a bit tiny though
Korg M1 is also on sale ATM 50% off which I still think sounds better than Air Xpand, especially for things like woodwinds.
You're right - the M1 of course! :) I must say though that I just listened to a YouTube demo of all its presets and to me it really much sounds 30 years old. I much prefer the E-MU sooundbanks. (Of course, the Proteus sounds are available as soundbanks as well. Here's a nice demo (beware of the dropouts on right channel though) of the legendary Proteus 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2J0VWTlKu8 ).
Go MuLab!

I’ve finally decided against getting the Garritan library. Mainly because I don’t like their licensing strategy – you’re supposed to mention their product in every track you use it in. While I have no problem giving credit when I use freeware – it’s only fair to "pay" the creator by advertising their work – I don’t want to have to do that with paid software.

Since I really was set on buying something :) , I got the Korg rompler. My, what a blast from the past. I love it. It doesn’t work that well with Avenger’s sounds, but it’s a perfect addition to the slightly dated sound of Xpand. I just wished the GUI wasn’t so tiny.

As for my orchestral needs. I’ll wait for a Sampletank or Kontakt sale. I prefer Sampletank, but Kontakt might be better in the end for the many third party libraries you can get for it.

Korg M1 is a lot of fun to play with :) Some people have said the samples in the VST are higher resolution than the hardware, but I don't know for certain.

EastWest composer cloud subscription is also an option, if you want to test drive some hefty orchestral libraries and aren't put off by their proprietary Play engine and/or subscription models.

I am a bit surprised to see that M1 is favoured over Xpand. Perhaps the VST version indeed sounds better (and more neutral) than the hardware synth?

I recall playing the M1 when it first arrived and was completely blown away by the beauty of the sound and also of its looks. I just find it strange that there is no better rompler (as opposed to Kontakt libraries) after 30 years! :o

Hmmm... how about the JV1080 VSTi? As I recall it the JV was neutral and widely used.
Go MuLab!

Just recalled the JV is now released as part of the Roland cloud.

This ELEVEN YEARS old thread seems still so up-to-date: viewtopic.php?t=168000

I think I will start a new thread since this one starts to drift.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”