A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
ghettosynth
KVRAF
11243 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am

Acknowledgement wrote:
chk071 wrote:But, i'd agree that they're not stellar.
Not sure I'd agree. When it comes to pricing, I've learned that it doesn't mean much in plugin world. Klanghelm and TDR plugins are much cheaper than UAD plugins or some others, yet I prefer those over much more expensive alternatives more often than not.

Also, I had the chance to work with a wonderful, well-maintained EMT 140 several times and Valhalla Plate was the only plate plugin that came close to that sound. Just my 2¢ :violin:

I don't buy it. UAD, Waves and Soundtoys can't model an EMT-140? Really? I mean I'm saying that there's good and there's stellar and you're going all the way to "the only plate plugin that came close?" So, a one man shop has the only plugin that comes close and multimillion dollar firms that hire many engineers that make well respected plate models, one of which is, itself, based on one of the most famous examples in recording history can't come close?

I think that's hyperbole.

Does Sean even have access to something like the Abbey Road studio's plates? I get that people want to support a small developer and I think that's admirable. But I think that you can talk about products in context without having to resort to hyperbole.

What does it say about SoundToys to say that "only Valhalla comes close to the EMT-140?" I doubt even that Sean would agree with you.

Again, Sean does good work and if I had come to reverb plugins through a different path I might have his. You cannot go wrong by starting with his products and then deciding if you need something else. However, as much as I respect him, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe IRCAM with their years of experience and multiple people working on sound research might have some knowledge and ability that he doesn't have and maybe that makes Verb3 worth more money and on a different level? On that same line, maybe Lexicon, Eventide, and TC-Electronic, the pioneers of this entire business and a source of inspiration for Sean and his products might have learned something that Sean doesn't know and maybe there's a reason people still like Lexicon's PCM series?

Finally, as I've already mentioned, they are not general reverb plugins AT ALL. You have three separate products, one is a plate, one is a vintage hardware (e.g., Lexicon) and one is a room verb. (I'm excluding shimmer here).

It's not an insult to say that a one man shop makes good plugins but if you want more that there are better products available. It is an insult to other devs to say that only brand X comes close. I'm pretty sure that the devs at SoundToys and Waves are just as serious and conscientious about the quality of their modeling efforts.

cpsmusic
KVRer
16 posts since 22 Aug, 2008

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm

mholloway wrote:
cpsmusic wrote:Hi Folks,

I've been reading up on various approaches to reverb in mixing. Seems that a common approach is to use three reverbs - a short "ambience" to put the sound in a space, a medium-length, bright reverb (usually a plate) for sounds at the front of the soundstage, and a large, hall-type reverb for sounds in the background.

What I'm wondering is, is there a good-quality reverb plug-in that can do all these? From what I've seen, most reverb plug-ins do one thing well - either rooms or plates but there's not many that do these two and ambiences.

At this stage I'm thinking that TSAR-1, PhoenixVerb and possibly Flux Verb Session 3 can provide all of these. Are there any others?
As for which Reverb, just demo them, ok? There's zero point in this thread becoming 24 pages of people listing which reverb plugins they own.
I agree, but what I was asking was which reverb plug-in do people consider to be the most versatile. I'm not asking about the "best", "favourite". etc.

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2342 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 pm

liv wrote:
cpsmusic wrote:Hi Folks,

I've been reading up on various approaches to reverb in mixing. Seems that a common approach is to use three reverbs - a short "ambience" to put the sound in a space, a medium-length, bright reverb (usually a plate) for sounds at the front of the soundstage, and a large, hall-type reverb for sounds in the background.

What I'm wondering is, is there a good-quality reverb plug-in that can do all these? From what I've seen, most reverb plug-ins do one thing well - either rooms or plates but there's not many that do these two and ambiences.

At this stage I'm thinking that TSAR-1, PhoenixVerb and possibly Flux Verb Session 3 can provide all of these. Are there any others?
I like NI RC-24 and RC-48.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -classics/
Fnally someone says what I thought…

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

User avatar
Mathematics
KVRist
275 posts since 10 Sep, 2015 from You haven't unlocked this character yet

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
liv wrote:
cpsmusic wrote:Hi Folks,

I've been reading up on various approaches to reverb in mixing. Seems that a common approach is to use three reverbs - a short "ambience" to put the sound in a space, a medium-length, bright reverb (usually a plate) for sounds at the front of the soundstage, and a large, hall-type reverb for sounds in the background.

What I'm wondering is, is there a good-quality reverb plug-in that can do all these? From what I've seen, most reverb plug-ins do one thing well - either rooms or plates but there's not many that do these two and ambiences.

At this stage I'm thinking that TSAR-1, PhoenixVerb and possibly Flux Verb Session 3 can provide all of these. Are there any others?
I like NI RC-24 and RC-48.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -classics/
Fnally someone says what I thought…
H-Reverb

If H-Reverb isn't quite a verby as you want, stick any algorithmic reverb right after. What I mean by "any" is something that already sounds decent on its own, like maybe RVerb
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

User avatar
e@rs
KVRAF
3657 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
e@rs wrote:And I just wanna add that Morcheeba also uses Valhalla (Plate). :)
A Computer Music reader has outed himself! :o
Two Computer Music readers have outed themselves! :P

Now seriously, anything wrong with reading CM (among other magazines)?

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2342 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 am

e@rs wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
e@rs wrote:And I just wanna add that Morcheeba also uses Valhalla (Plate). :)
A Computer Music reader has outed himself! :o
Two Computer Music readers have outed themselves! :P

Now seriously, anything wrong with reading CM (among other magazines)?
Of course nothing :!:
I just wanted to make a smart impression :tu:
By the way:
I read Computer Music, Future Music and some other monthy magazines via an app called Readly. Their monthly fee is 10 euro. That way it‘s pretty cheap to stay in contact with market, hype and gossip...

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

User avatar
e@rs
KVRAF
3657 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:17 am

^Got it. I noticed that CM doesn't have such a great reputation around here, but never understood why (probably by association, because its sister magazine FM made it on Urs' black list?). It actually doesn't matter much to me, as I enjoy reading it, and always take the reviews (not only in CM, everywhere) with a grain of salt anyway.

And to get back on topic, I place another +1 for Breeze 2, while on sale.

Den*
KVRist
266 posts since 7 Apr, 2015

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 am

Allrounder - Breeze 2
High end - B2

:wink:

User avatar
Apratim
KVRian
564 posts since 29 Dec, 2016 from India

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 am

All rounder -mturboreverbLE
High end- Mturboreverb MB
High end all rounder-MXXX complete

Ok enough of jokes
After demoing lots of reverbs
I like Mturboreverb and xenoverb
Both are good
But Mturboreverb is close to me
a10 9600p,12gb ddr4,1TB SSD,Win 10 x64
Behringer UMC 202 HD,Behringer C-1,brainwavz HM5.
REAPER,DS thorn,U-HE zebra,MTotalfx bundle

Winstontaneous
KVRian
1403 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 am

cpsmusic wrote: I agree, but what I was asking was which reverb plug-in do people consider to be the most versatile. I'm not asking about the "best", "favourite". etc.
I haven't seen Overloud Breverb 2 mentioned - it's versatile with convincing Plates, Rooms, Halls and Spaces. Has EQ, gate, input and output volume, stereo width control.
OLOKUN - Survival Kit - now on iTunes, CDBaby, and Spotify

Videos: The Beat | Crossing to Safety

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
2020 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:00 am

There are tons of great all around reverbs. Personally, I own and agree with most of
the recommendations in this thread. I would like to add reverbical to the list.

I think one can never have too many interesting and unique sounding reverbs actually.

chk071
KVRAF
17230 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 am

pekbro wrote:There are tons of great all around reverbs.
[...]
I think one can never have too many interesting and unique sounding reverbs actually.
Attention. Attention. Contradiciton detected. :P

Winstontaneous
KVRian
1403 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 am

pekbro wrote:There are tons of great all around reverbs. Personally, I own and agree with most of
the recommendations in this thread. I would like to add reverbical to the list.

I think one can never have too many interesting and unique sounding reverbs actually.
It's true, I've also found that even "bad" sounding reverbs (I'm looking at you, Focusrite Scarlett!) can sound "just right" in the proper context. And placing mono reverbs across the stereo field can create some really interesting spaces.
OLOKUN - Survival Kit - now on iTunes, CDBaby, and Spotify

Videos: The Beat | Crossing to Safety

User avatar
valhallasound
KVRAF
3426 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Pacific NW

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:27 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
e@rs wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
e@rs wrote:And I just wanna add that Morcheeba also uses Valhalla (Plate). :)
A Computer Music reader has outed himself! :o
Two Computer Music readers have outed themselves! :P

Now seriously, anything wrong with reading CM (among other magazines)?
Of course nothing :!:
I just wanted to make a smart impression :tu:
By the way:
I read Computer Music, Future Music and some other monthy magazines via an app called Readly. Their monthly fee is 10 euro. That way it‘s pretty cheap to stay in contact with market, hype and gossip...
Thanks for the Readly recommendation! It is getting harder and harder to find music magazines on the newsstands around here, so I'll look into Readly as a way of staying caught up.

Speaking of magazines, the latest interview with Chvrches is online: https://www.musicradar.com/news/chvrche ... r-interest

From the article: “Valhalla Shimmer and Vintage Verb are also cornerstones of our sound, along with UAD’s AMS RMX 16 reverb plugin, which is awesome."

A few more mentions of Valhalla plugins in recent magazine articles:

Black Panther Soundtrack: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -all-stars

- Lots of ValhallaVintageVerb mentioned, as well as ValhallaPlate. It's pretty exciting to be used on the vocals of a Pulitzer Prize winner (Kendrick Lamar)!

Lana Del Rey, "Lust For Life": https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -lust-life

- "The ‘V’ on many of my tracks is the Valhalla Vintage Verb, which we love. A trick we used a lot in working with Lana is to have saturation or distortion after the reverb, as opposed to before it, because that creates a unique kind of chaos. So we may put the SoundToys Decapitator after the Valhalla, or the Lo-fi, like on my ‘Wet snare’ track. The ‘7’ that’s after the Valhalla on some of my tracks is the EQ3 7-band, which is boring, but I still love it."

George Ezra, "Paradise": https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... a-paradise

- Engineer Dan Grech-Marguerat: “My two favourite reverbs are the Valhalla Room and Vintage Verb. Those two are brilliant. There’s probably not a mix of mine that doesn’t have some of these in them."

Jack Antonoff (Taylor Swift, Lorde, St. Vincent): https://www.soundonsound.com/people/jack-antonoff

- "Plug-in-wise, he tends to use the Waves Renaissance Reverb and Valhalla’s Plate, SoundToys’ EchoBoy for delay and, for more extreme effects, SoundToys’ FilterFreak, PanMan and Crystallizer granular delay. "

Clean Bandit: https://www.soundonsound.com/people/pro ... ean-bandit

- 'When it comes to mixing effects, both Patterson and Ralph rave about the Valhalla plug-in reverb range, particularly the Vintage Verb and the Shimmer. “It’s fantastic,” Patterson says of the former. “It sounds very digital but there’s something about the way it modulates. It’s not like an acoustic effect — it’s not to make it sound real. It’s kind of adding colour. Shimmer I’ve used an awful lot. It’s amazing. I love automating stuff through Valhalla.”

Recently, Patterson added a Tiptop Audio Z-DSP Eurorack module to his setup, after he found out that you can fit them with cartridges featuring Valhalla’s Shimmer and Halls Of Valhalla. He plans on using it more in his future sessions. “It’ll be so nice to be able to have actual control of all those parameters that I love messing around with in there,” he says, “but in hardware.”

“Valhalla’s great,” Ralph agrees, “and to be honest with you I’ve bought more expensive plug-in reverbs and they haven’t sounded as good. Their modulation one, UberMod, is really good as well, from the point of view of me comparing it to my own hardware reverbs.”'

And, from today, a tweet from the engineer of the upcoming Jaden Smith EP, SYRE: https://twitter.com/jameschulrim/status ... 8612718592

- "Shoutout to @UAudio @iZotopeInc @Slateproaudio @valhalladsp @fabfilter @waves @soundtoys @thehouseofkush for helping me shape the sound of this album. Mixing ITB has never been better"

Anyways, there are lots of great reverb plugins out there nowadays. Breeze 2 sounds awesome, the Exponential Audio stuff is great, Pro-R is nicely transparent, and Warp69's VSS-inspired reverb is fantastic. I am really honored to be included in such great company, and I'd like to thank all the Valhalla users in these threads and this forum!

As far as good all-around Valhalla choices: I'd have to say VintageVerb as a good starting point. It has halls, chambers, "plates," rooms, all that. A lot of the algorithms are aimed at big modulated unreal things, but the more recent Smooth and Chaotic algorithms can work on all sorts of program materials.

Sean Costello

User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
3849 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Re: A Good All-Round Reverb Plug-in

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Wow, talking ‘bout artist and engineer endorsement. Way to go, Mr. Costello!

Return to “Effects”