Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mgw38
KVRian

1006 posts since 26 Jul, 2015, from Philadelphia

Postby mgw38; Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

bharris22 wrote:Soniccouture seems to have found a way to allow license transfers, though . . . I have purchased several second-hand libraries of theirs, without a hitch.

The NI licensing system allows them to accommodate license transfers without running the risk of enabling piracy. If they work with Kontakt Player they have a serial that can be transferred in a trusted way. Soniccouture changed all their libraries to Kontakt Player libraries not that long ago, so that can take advantage of that. 8Dio never had Kontakt Player libraries and Spitfire as well as Sample Logic seem to be moving away from Kontakt Player libraries.
masterhiggins
KVRAF

1802 posts since 30 Dec, 2004, from People's Republic of Minnesota

Postby masterhiggins; Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Insession Audio doesn’t allow license transfers even though they’re kontakt-player instruments. Stupid.
GearNostalgia
KVRist

241 posts since 27 Dec, 2017

Postby GearNostalgia; Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

bharris22 wrote:Soniccouture seems to have found a way to allow license transfers, though . . . I have purchased several second-hand libraries of theirs, without a hitch.

Yes, they do it and others as well. It is not a technical matter, it is about if the developer wants to or not. SonicCouture handle it for a fee so they are decent. I have started to make a list about terms if you are interested. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=507014
bharris22
KVRian

1373 posts since 2 Mar, 2010

Postby bharris22; Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Yes, agree. It is not a matter of can't, but won't. My point is simply that there are successful developers who permit license transfers of Kontakt sample libraries, and having been burned by 8Dio before I won't buy an expensive library from them again unless and until they do. I would have zero hesitation in buying a Soniccouture library for this reason.
squibs
KVRist

85 posts since 24 Sep, 2003, from Ireland

Postby squibs; Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

All things being equal, I would like to see transfers available. However, license transfer is fiddly for software/soundware - piracy is bad enough without opening more cans of worms, and dedicating resources to software and admin to handle the licenses. I'm not aware of software transfers being a thing in most other industries?

I generally try demos and watch reviews before I buy something, so I know it meets my needs. I then expect to use it until it's obsolete or I'm dead. Do you guys really do a lot of transfers in reality? I don't see the issue? iLok dongles on the other hand...
Musician.ie - The Irish Musician Resource
dzilizzi
KVRian

877 posts since 20 Sep, 2013, from California

Postby dzilizzi; Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45 am Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

I haven't sold anything yet. There are a few a may sell, including my second Box of Tricks library I bought in that NI bundle.
GearNostalgia
KVRist

Postby GearNostalgia; Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

squibs wrote:All things being equal, I would like to see transfers available. However, license transfer is fiddly for software/soundware - piracy is bad enough without opening more cans of worms, and dedicating resources to software and admin to handle the licenses. I'm not aware of software transfers being a thing in most other industries?

I generally try demos and watch reviews before I buy something, so I know it meets my needs. I then expect to use it until it's obsolete or I'm dead. Do you guys really do a lot of transfers in reality? I don't see the issue? iLok dongles on the other hand...

You have a practical approach. I am new in the real of sample libraries, but I have bought and sold quite a few pieces of hardware instruments so I know I may find out that I can not play the instruments as I expected or simply get tired of stuff and want to sell them to get something else. So getting tied up with a product until I die is not something I want to do unless it costs like below 30 bucks which can be considered as a one of expendable event fair.

Yes, trying demos is good to, but when there are none and only sales hype videos it becomes treacherous.
GearNostalgia
KVRist

Postby GearNostalgia; Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

bharris22 wrote:Yes, agree. It is not a matter of can't, but won't. My point is simply that there are successful developers who permit license transfers of Kontakt sample libraries, and having been burned by 8Dio before I won't buy an expensive library from them again unless and until they do. I would have zero hesitation in buying a Soniccouture library for this reason.

You too, I wonder how many there are that share our experience. I have been PMed by a handful, but I suspect that it is sadly only a fraction.
GearNostalgia
KVRist

Postby GearNostalgia; Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

masterhiggins wrote:Insession Audio doesn’t allow license transfers even though they’re kontakt-player instruments. Stupid.

Their terms allow you to use it and also generously to destroy your copy :dog: Thanks for the info. Will add them to the dark side.
jsp1979
KVRAF

2837 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Postby jsp1979; Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

GearNostalgia wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:Insession Audio doesn’t allow license transfers even though they’re kontakt-player instruments. Stupid.

Their terms allow you to use it and also generously to destroy your copy :dog: Thanks for the info. Will add them to the dark side.

Since this isn't bargain related, maybe the discussion can head over to your already 15 page thread on a similar topic?

Linky: viewtopic.php?p=7097516#p7097516
martinjuenke
KVRAF

2009 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

jsp1979 wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:

Since this isn't bargain related, maybe the discussion can head over to your already 15 page thread on a similar topic?

Topic locked!

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music
GearNostalgia
KVRist

Postby GearNostalgia; Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:13 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

jsp1979 wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:

That thread was all about 8Dio, not about all devs...
jsp1979
KVRAF

2837 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Postby jsp1979; Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

The point is that this thread is the bargain discussion thread.

Here's another related and non-locked thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?p=7107274#p7107274
ghettosynth
KVRAF

11097 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:45 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

jsp1979 wrote:The point is that this thread is the bargain discussion thread.

Here's another related and non-locked thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?p=7107274#p7107274

Agreed, take this elsewhere.
Fleer
KVRAF

3760 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:06 pm Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Yep, please do.
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)