What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote:Ok what Frequency does "Warm" reside ? What Frequency is missing from "Cold" ?
Its like it is with colors.

Reddish is considered warm, bluish cold.

Same thing with the frequency spectrum of audio...lower freq warm, higher freq cold.

No rubbish, just an expression.

Yep, colors are also just frequencies after all. Once you go below the visible/audible spectrum, you get infra red/infra sound and ultra violet/ultra sound above the spectrum.

Just like absolutely everything else, sounds are perfectly scientifically quantifiable, even the "magic".
Although when people use warm, cold and other adjectives to describe sounds, they tend to be a lot more subjective. Describing sounds with words isn't exactly an accurate science :hihi:
For example, I hear a lot of sounds that are more reminiscent of old digital gear in "warm analog" soundset demos. "Warm" often seems to be connected to "nostalgic" instead of an actually warm frequency spectrum to many people.

Isn't it hot enough now in Europe? :hihi:

Balance is the key for me. Also, 'warm' doesn't mean 'positive' or 'good' automatically! The same applies on 'cold' or 'blue'!

For me, nature of sounds is important, but song composition and arrangement is very important as well. Most of the musicians compose with piano or guitar, although I'm talking 'traditional' composing which to be honest, even EDM is derived from it, nothing is revolutionary!

fluffy_little_something wrote:
low_low wrote:Sylenth1 is mentioned everywhere, whenever synths come up, what is it about this synth that makes it so highly recommended, it's in like every synth thread on KVR.
That very claim is wrong to begin with. Just searched the first half dozen threads in the instruments forum (the one where it would mostly likely appear), not a single hit.
Sounds more like one of those threads where people claim something in order to get a certain reaction, probably advertising or bashing, as the case may be.
Tedious. :neutral:

I actually always liked what it does in the upper frequency region. Especially in unisono mode. All of the other synths including Dune and Hive still sounds a tiny bit "blurry" there when adding voices and filtering them afterwards. ...which can be a good thing, or a bad one, depends on the context of use. Sylenth sounds somehow "rigid". It doesn't fall apart there, yet it's still light on CPU.

Also the lower parts of it's sound are clean and pleasant. I'd bet those oscilators do not produce mathematically exact saw and square shapes. It's somehow sweatened, but in really pleasant yet universal way.

It just caught on. That's all. But it's true that I didn't expect to be using Sylenth even in 2018. Well ... it's still awesome. :)
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

low_low wrote:
low_low wrote:Sylenth1 is mentioned everywhere, whenever synths come up, what is it about this synth that makes it so highly recommended, it's in like every synth thread on KVR.
That very claim is wrong to begin with. Just searched the first half dozen threads in the instruments forum (the one where it would mostly likely appear), not a single hit.
Sounds more like one of those threads where people claim something in order to get a certain reaction, probably advertising or bashing, as the case may be.
I just searched for the word "Sylenth1" within the Instruments forum and it had 9005 matches. "Zebra" had over 18,000 matches.

Examigan wrote:
low_low wrote:
I just searched for the word "Sylenth1" within the Instruments forum and it had 9005 matches. "Zebra" had over 18,000 matches.
There are more than 40k threads in Instruments, and in those threads where Sylenth1 does occur, it usually does so repeatedly, also in quotes. So, Sylenth1 gets mentioned in only, say, 1 out of 10 threads, if at all.

Examigan wrote:
low_low wrote:
There are more than 40k threads in Instruments, and in those threads where Sylenth1 does occur, it usually does so repeatedly, also in quotes. So, Sylenth1 gets mentioned in only, say, 1 out of 10 threads, if at all.
Here are many of the times (not all, of course) where it is directly mentioned in the title of a thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=489891
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5644733
viewtopic.php?t=397727
viewtopic.php?t=444238
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=416303
viewtopic.php?t=224393
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=487509
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=387122
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=421381
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=387122
viewtopic.php?t=335835
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=373044
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=473863
viewtopic.php?t=371160
viewtopic.php?t=398901
viewtopic.php?t=453247
viewtopic.php?t=369655
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=476112
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=503288
viewtopic.php?t=466895

I don't think the OP is wrong on his claims. Sylenth1 IS the most known (payware) soft synth there is.

But he claimed Sylenth1 is in almost every synth thread on KVR. That is simply not the case, far from it. Just search all the threads on page on of the Instruments forum, there are probably very few where Sylenth1 is mentioned. Often it is mentioned simply as one of many synths, like in an enumeration along with Serum, Synthmaster etc.

Oh, right. Well, it's still KVR, not the real world. :D

Sylenth 1 sounds good, and more than that, has a sound of it's own. Plugins that claimed to emulate/replace it's sound failed at this. Not the best synth (if such thing exists), not the worst either, but imho one of the not so many that has a strong identity.

Some examples of our Musical Box soundbank for Sylenth 1 :

Sylenth Electronica

Sylenth ChilOut

No tb-303 arp, sorry for that/
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

The start was a bit bumpy, because Lennard made the mistake and used Synthedit for the GUI to save some time (and the people don't like Synthedit). But he changed this and yes, the foundation stone was laid for one of the most successful (?) VA synth ;)
People love the easy to use GUI, the sound, the good sounding unison and the low resource usage. Nearly every known and unknown EDM and Trance guy is using Sylenth, so it was after some time relatively clear: you need Sylenth1 to be successful :hihi:

Of course, I do not do surveys but I suspect that looks a bit different today...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Often it is mentioned simply as one of many synths, like in an enumeration along with Serum, Synthmaster etc.
by someone who likes to alliterate.

Oh god when its going to stop...Moderators should add a rule, NO SYLENTH1 threads anymore or ban :cry:

Return to “Instruments”