DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Had a very strange crash.

Went to the main screen that shows the several options for multi threading, etc. and all I did was checked the options for each thing (didn't actually change anything) and suddenly I got a Cubase Not Responding message and a crash.

Very odd, especially since all the patches I've programmed so far, using pretty much all the options available to me (including creating and saving WTs) have produced no problems at all.

So to get a crash just looking at stuff is very odd to say the least.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm Or the shimmer reverb.
Shimmer
https://clyp.it/twkaphgl?token=54c252e1 ... 5efb72bab0

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 pmSo in effect you lose your licence if your serial falls into the wrong hands? That sounds illegal. No one would would admit to giving away their serial number, so they will tell you their email account was hacked into and the code was stolen from there.
If you're concerned about u-he policies, please make it known in our support forum.
And also how can you be so sure that no one could use a computer program to randomly generate serials. They are some very smart people out there.
Sorry, I'm too smart for that. The serial involves a 512 bit cryptographic hashing algorithm. In our software we only check for about a quarter of those bits. We swap some of those bits with every update. So if a randomly generated serial (which might take years to compute) works for one version, it is not guaranteed to work with the next update. I know my stuff.

(again: questions -> u-he forum)
Last edited by Urs on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ere2learn wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm Or the shimmer reverb.
Shimmer
https://clyp.it/twkaphgl?token=54c252e1 ... 5efb72bab0
Thanks for your audios :tu:
I think a shimmer reverb implies some sort of pitch change, so I am not sure your audio is the shimmer thingy as it is the same pitch all the time. But maybe I got the wrong idea :)

Yes, in fact the simpliest Shimmer reverb would be a reverb followed by a pitch shifter. But of course that's rather boring, a proper Shimmer reverb is constantly changing the pitch, which is what really gives that "Shimmer" sound. The amount of shimmer, as well as the amount of pitch change can be adjusted in the DUNE 3 shimmer reverbs (via the Shimmer and Regen knobs).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Last edited by ZeePok on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:49 pm Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
That's my problem, what is an oscillator? What do you mean by "setting an oscillator to 32 oscillators"? Does Sylenth1 have 32 oscillators according to Dune terminology (2 oscillators x 8 waves x 2 layers)?

On a 4 voice polysynth , whenever you play a seventh chord , you are activating 4 voice boards , and 4 filter boards etc ..4 amp stages etcc
It's not really any different on a digital synth , + dune has the ability to play 32 duplicates of an osc ( one osc enabled ) while still playing a single voice , bit like the supersaw etcc .

See that little number box/density slider in the upper left of the oscilator ??
It makes up to 31 copies of that oscilator which can then be detuned accordingly , or spread out in minor/majors /fifths etc..

So when you'r playing a seventh chord on dune you're hearing 65(osc's per layer )*8(layers )*4(seventh chord ) = 2080 osc's
And if you using all voices =65*8*16=8320 osc's
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hmm... on the fence about this one based on feature list.

For version 3 to be released in 2018 and

1. to have this sort of primitive preset browser feels really, really behind the times

and

2. to have this sort of slow, primitive modulation assignment feels, you guessed it, really behind the times.

I feel those areas should have been priorities, and should have come before a lot of the other "new" stuff Dune 3 is offering.

<shrug>

Just my opinion. I'll play with the demo more and see if I want to upgrade. It doesn't help that I'm absolutely exhausted / bored to tears by Wavetable synthesis and the recent obsession everyone seems to have with it (Ableton 10's Wavetable, U-He Hive adding Wavetables, Serum's endless hype, Dune 3 now...). I just don't find WT technology that inspiring, but to each their own I suppose!

I made an error last night comparing DUNE3 to DUNE2 in terms of sound because the sound of DUNE2 was only in memory and my memory pulled a fast one on me this time (to be very honest).

Today I had a chance to thoroughly A/B D3 with D2 and, even though D3 does sounds a tiny bit better in some aspects, the difference in sound quality is pretty much non-existent (even though we're talking about pretty subtle nuances here, I guess I kinda underestimated D2's sound in my memory).

Again, not trying to knock D3 or anything, but no real improvement on sound quality in this latest version.

Let's be honoust , synapse audio has never been inventive when it came to ui design , with a tendency to mimick fisher price looking toys .
Why do we nee a vst that looks like a hardware virus ?
But , the sound , god damn ..on par with cytomic and u-he
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Tried the demo - agree with some other feedback here. The patch browser and mod matrix are a bit stuck in the past compared to other synths. Hard to know if some subtle modulations are really set up right without some sort of visual indicator (see Avenger for a great implementation).

ZeePok wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:09 pm Richard! could you please tell us if DUNE 1 (& 2) indeed have been pulled and why?

I know this was addressed to another Richard.
I can't tell you why, I can only speculate why. D3 has replaced D1 and D2.. Similarly like how NI no longer sells Kontakt 5 or FM7 or Steinberg selling Cubase 9 etc.
But as I am sure you know, D1 and D2 are no longer available for purchase.
But for those like me who have bought D1 and D2 licenses.. it is still available from your account.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

well, its coming home with me, and I give a hoot all about drag and drop. I do want a parameter lock though. One that lets me set audio quality so I don't need to tab over to the quality setting every time I load a new patch... ugh!

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Proken wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 pm So.... someone actually tested this And how is your experience?
Similar enough to Dune 2 that the learning curve is minimal.

Different enough that you can make sounds with this you literally couldn't make with Dune 2.

Biggest differences, IMO

Wavetable Editor
Additional ARP and functionality

Even without the new filters and FX, the above alone greatly expands the capabilities of the synth.

In addition to that, I think the overall sound quality has improved. Dune 2 had a more "plastic" almost Tone 2 kind of sound to it though not quite as pronounced. Dune 3 appears more neutral.

Also, so far anyway, it appears to be rock solid. I have yet to run into any bugs and I'm running it on a DAW version that isn't even supported anymore so I doubt they even tested for it.

All in all, I'm impressed and pleased.

Is it what I would call a "true" 3.0 as 2 was to 1? No. But it gives me enough in addition that, for me anyway, the upgrade price is acceptable. Please note I said "acceptable" and not "Holy cow, what a great deal" because it's not. Not considering updates made for other synths that were free or for a lot less money.

Still, I'm content. There's enough here that I never have to open Dune 2 ever again, which was, at the time, my favorite synth.

Dune 3 only improves on it.

Enough for you? Don't know. Only you can make that decision.
Thx for your reaction. Im gonna demo this when i get Home, im loving the fact that they build a wavetable editor.

Jesus what a thread!

Richard this is amazing update thank you! You just remember this is KVR and it's well...KVR...likely a staggering 1.22% of your user base. Don't feed the trolls.

Love new GUI and wavetable editor. Hopefully you have something in the pipeline for year 2019 for RE (rack extension) fans !?!?

Return to “Instruments”