DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Ghost Dog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:29 pm IMHO, only Spire and Sylenth1 are in a class of their own in terms of sound quality (and even they could be improved).

really? i will have to respectfully disagree, i dont like either, especially spire.

i think there are a good few synths around that surpass them right now

Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 pm Im trying to install the demo, but its not showing up in Bitwig 2.3.4 :(

mac, pc? details are crucial if you need help...

Butwug wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 pm Fairly new to music production but, from all the demos I tried I wouldnt put any above Zebra2 as far as sound quality. The fact that it consumes such low cpu compared to other synths is quite amazing. I jumped on the UHe/Zebra2 fanboy wagon after I found out blade runner was made pretty much all with Zebra2. It can use a prettier interface to show active modulations and other synths have it beat by quite a bit in the UI area. But strictly sound quality, Zebra is part of the God Tier soft synths.
Both Richard and Urs are capable developers, but I still stand by my opinion that neither DUNE, nor Zebra has an ADSR envelope that truly does it justice.

(Didn't wanna mention Zebra earlier, because it was pointless and irrelevant in this thread.)

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm....
he doesnt :x :lol:
Hehe, yeah, I know. :)

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 pm Im trying to install the demo, but its not showing up in Bitwig 2.3.4 :(

PC, Windows 10. Installed the demo with no problems, but not showing up in my DAW. I can see the files installed in the destinated folders.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 pm
Vortifex wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:58 pm Yeah, I sold Dune 2 because of the workflow. I just didn't enjoy programming it at all.
Funny, I find it one of the most enjoyable synths to program and I have done hundreds of patches for D2 and several already for D3.

Once you spend a little time with it Dune becomes incredibly intuitive to program and a joy to use.

:shrug:
I think you nail the situation with the “spend a little time.” I remember the first time I checked out Dune... I think it was the magware version... I remember thinking it was a little unintuitive. I seem to remember that I thought it needed better indication as to what oscillators were enabled in a patch and a few other issues. Things like rearranging the effect order was a bit hard to figure out unless you read the manual. I sort of put it aside and moved on.

Years later, on v2, I read a recommendation about it in a thread about synths that did a good job of audio rate filter modulation. I had another look at it, and indeed, it was pretty far ahead of any other synth on the market that did the type of oscillator tricks that Dune does, and did good audio rate filter modulation. Most don’t attempt it at all. I guess they figure, “the Virus doesn’t do it, why would we?”

So, with the impetus to get at that feature, I picked up Dune 2. I think it took me no longer than a half hour to see what the developer was getting at and how things generally worked. In the grand scheme of things, not a big time investment. If you’re already happy with your unison-o-rama-wavetable synth, well, I guess you can skip Dune, but IMO, there is enough about it that either isn’t done by other synths, or isn’t done that well, to make it a go-to synth for me. $79 to get a dual filter version of it that had new analog modeled filters? That’s a no-brainer for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Ghost Dog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:52 pm
In my humble opinion, nothing holds a candle to the "snap" of Spire's envelopes. In this regard, the latest two DUNEs are better than most synths, but compared to Spire - not even close. The MSEG can't help it either.
Oh dear there's Snappy again. His pal Punchy can't be far behind. :dog:

I found Spire's sound weak and uninspiring so "Snap" whatever that means was of no importance.

But apparently I don't care one bit about "Snap" since it's not missing here. However I do know that Dune can make glorious sounds that Spire can not even dream of creating. I guess that's more important to me.

Anyway what we've proved is that "high quality" is in the ears and the minds of the beholder. Use what you love...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:31 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm

PC, Windows 10. Installed the demo with no problems, but not showing up in my DAW. I can see the files installed in the destinated folders.
restart/rescan?

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm
ere2learn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:02 pm From the manual

Thank you!
So the Polaris filter is named after the one used in the Rhodes Polaris, but the Saturn?!

Butwug wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 pm I jumped on the UHe/Zebra2 fanboy wagon after I found out blade runner 2049, along with other big blockbuster soundtracks, were made pretty much all with Zebra2. ... But strictly sound quality, Zebra is part of the God Tier soft synths.
Typical U-He fanboy is typical :?

As fas as Dune vs Spire/Sylenth comparisons go, I don't think it's a difference in sound quality, it's rather difference in sound character. I do love Sylenth's and especially Spire's sound but Dune grew on me quite a bit as well. For more agressive leads, supersaws, various psy/goa SFX stuff etc I'd pick Spire or Sylenth, Dune is great for various FM textures, pads, acid (there is a free soundset for D2 which contans some of the best acid sounds I've ever heard in any synth, I think it was AnX who made the sounds btw). With the new filters I think it must be quite good for more traditional VA sounds as well. Overall Dune tends to sound more mellow and smooth compared to Sylenth and especially Spire which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:31 pm PC, Windows 10. Installed the demo with no problems, but not showing up in my DAW. I can see the files installed in the destinated folders.
I only have Bitwig 8 track here and never use it so I'm no expert but Dune 3 shows up here. Can't really give you much help if it's not showing there. Just wanted to post that it is possible for Bitwig and D3 to function together..... (Win 10 64 bit). :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm So the Polaris filter is named after the one used in the Rhodes Polaris, but the Saturn?!
Alpha 24 = Juno alpha

Polaris 24 = Prophet 600

Saturn 24 = Jupiter 8

Pro 12/24 = Legend/Moog

sacer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am A converter from Dune1 presets into Dune3 would be realy cool feature.
Thank you very much for this update, I love the filters.
That's probably not possible when they are different synths inside. It's like asking for a converter for turning Charlatan into Omnisphere patches. Well, maybe slightly exaggerated :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm
sacer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am A converter from Dune1 presets into Dune3 would be realy cool feature.
Thank you very much for this update, I love the filters.
That's probably not possible when they are different synths inside. It's like asking for a converter for turning Charlatan into Omnisphere patches. Well, maybe slightly exaggerated :hihi:
In the case of DUNE I think it could be possible. I have a Yamaha TG77 (and SY99). Both are completely different from DX7, yet, the software editors I had/have for them could load DX7 banks and convert therm into SY/TG banks. The sound isn't 100% matching, but the basics were there, and fromthen on we could fine tune to our like.
Fernando (FMR)

carrieres wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm So the Polaris filter is named after the one used in the Rhodes Polaris, but the Saturn?!
Alpha 24 = Juno alpha

Polaris 24 = Prophet 600

Saturn 24 = Jupiter 8

Pro 12/24 = Legend/Moog
Yes, the Prophet 600, Prophet T8, Matrix 12 & Xpander, and the Rhodes Chroma Polaris all used that 3372 chip.

Saturn - Jupiter I get as well, maybe he picked another planet because of Roland's aggressive legal department :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”