One Synth Challenge #118: Elek7ro & Noisemaker (rghvdberg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ontrackp
KVRian
651 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:10 am

functionform wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:18 pm
What pro plugins are people using? Or is everyone pretty much abstaining from that angle?
I'm using some Waves plugins. To be honest I'm not sure if it makes anything actually sound that much better than if I were to just use the stock Logic Pro X plugins which are also very good, but it's easier for me to dial in the settings that I want and I'm having more fun.

RichardSemper
KVRist
430 posts since 30 Oct, 2013 from Stoke On Trent

Re: One Synth Challenge #118: Elek7ro & Noisemaker (Commercial plugs allows, new Secondary JRR prize!)

Post Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:30 am

Here are some patches for TAL Elek7ro, (as used in my up and coming submission)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/tal-el ... /downloads

asi4
KVRist
92 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Re: One Synth Challenge #118: Elek7ro & Noisemaker (Commercial plugs allows, new Secondary JRR prize!)

Post Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:39 am

ontrackp wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:10 am
functionform wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:18 pm
What pro plugins are people using? Or is everyone pretty much abstaining from that angle?
I'm using some Waves plugins. To be honest I'm not sure if it makes anything actually sound that much better than if I were to just use the stock Logic Pro X plugins which are also very good, but it's easier for me to dial in the settings that I want and I'm having more fun.
I shure using commercial plugins is just a matter of habit. I use it a lot, but I can easily write a track using only DAW built-in effects.

TheNeverScene
KVRian
546 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am

Stock Logic plugs and stock Reaper plugs aren't even in the same league, that's where the commercial plugs even things out, I think. Compare Space Designer to ReaVerb or ReaVerbate, or Ableton's Glue Compressor (Cytomic) to ReaComp or whatever JS compressor Reaper has stock....Major Tom is a great Dbx-ish comp though. These are critical elements. Modulation fx like chorus, or heavy distortions are nulled out and subtle use of freebies/daw have less of an impact. Delays, especially with freebies like NastyDLA, are pretty much covered across the spectrum.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reaper and what it has and I am completely satisfied with it's workflow and minimal footprint, but the stock plugs are more surgical than musical in my experience.

Of course, it also depends on the genre or impact someone is going for on any given month. Certain styles fair well with "less is more" than others, but nothing wrong with "more is more" either :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

RichardSemper
KVRist
430 posts since 30 Oct, 2013 from Stoke On Trent

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 am

Here's my entry:
https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/t ... ist-osc118

I stuck to using TAL Elek7ro, and only non-free plugins used were a couple of analysers from cm collection (did Noisemaker in an earlier OSC). Heres the details:-

No of instances of TAL Elek7ro - 22 - All Patches designed from scratch.
DAW - MuLab

DAW Fx Used - 4x MuEcho, 4x Limiter, 2x highPass-filter, 3x lowpass-filter

3rd Party Fx:- 4x Tal Reverb-4,

Analysers: Voxengo SPAN, SpiralCM, VPS Scope CM Edition

DR= 10

For anyone interested the Mulab project file is here:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8l6dmtihkzzj2 ... s.zip?dl=0

And the patches can be downloaded here:-
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/tal-el ... /downloads

] Peter:H [
KVRian
668 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 am

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

z.prime
KVRAF
1708 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:11 am

Oh man, an updated Atlantis would be AMAZING! That synth is crazy powerful. It was buggy, last I tried, though. Maybe some of that is/will be improved with the update. That's one of the synths I suggested back when I was on Windows... :)

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
1714 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am

Win only? Looks like it escaped from windows 3.11...

TheNeverScene
KVRian
546 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:36 am

Amazing and buggy is how I remember Atlantis, too. It was like having a free version of Massive for the few minutes it would act right. Great to see that it is being updated...the Atlantis news link on his website says the current 32bit version that was recently released has bug fixes.

I'd hate to see the Mac users have to sit out the first OSC of the new year, though.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

KVRian

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:48 am

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Local Man
KVRist
338 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Well I managed to scrape together a few focused hours of music making for the first time in awhile so I figured I'd join in this month. I used Noisemaker only because I am on a mac. I ended up really liking this synth. It is very simple but quite powerful. There are actually a lot of capabilities that I didn't exploit for this track that I'm sure I will explore later. I stuck to a basic "analog" subtractive type of sound mostly. The track is a pretty simple pop song. It was just kind of the first thing that came out when exploring the synth so I developed it until I had something I liked. I hope some of you like it as well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44872685/th ... -el-sereno

TAL Noisemaker x 43

Logic Audio FX:
Compressor x 5
Channel EQ x 7
Console EQ x 1
Enveloper x 5
Echo x 3
Space Designer x 1
Chromaverb x 2

Logic Midi FX:
Arpeggiator x 20

Free Audio FX:
Plugin Alliance BX Cleansweep x 10
Klanghelm MJUC Jr x 1
Airwindows NC17 x 2

Commercial Audio FX:
Soundtoys Sie-Q x 3
Audiothing Type A x 1
Izotope Ozone 8 Elements x 1

ontrackp
KVRian
651 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 am

My entry for this month. Continuing with over-the-top big multi-sectioned, multi-layered pieces this is Noisemaker only. 27 instances.
Produced in Logic Pro X - a few Logic compressors and EQ
Waves - CLA2, CLA3 Abbey Road Plates, SSL Channels, SSL Master Comp, VEQ4, SSL EQ, LimMB multi-band compressor and L316 on master

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/osc118

Enjoy. This was a fun synth.

KVRian

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 am

https://choon.co/tracks/0crhb7y1dz9/thi ... nificance/

Certified Quality - 100% wobble and reese free.

I will leave this now as it is for OSC. I'm reluctant to count stuff, all Noisemaker, Bitwig, and some Meldas.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Existalgia
KVRer
2 posts since 19 Dec, 2018

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am

Hello everyone! New here, been lurking for some time now. Began getting serious about making music this year. Finally put together a full track for my first OSC entry, and hopefully more will come!
I decided to go for all Elek7ro. I really like when all parameters are available on one screen. I'd never considered using Elek7ro before compared to other softsynths I have, but picking this one up and using it was a breeze.
Percussion was definently the hardest part. First time I've made percussion sounds with a synth as opposed to using samples, so I expected a challenge.
Still learning to mix and master. It's not perfect, but decided to put it up instead of spending too much time on repeat adjustments.

Link:
https://soundcloud.com/existalgia/impending-synth

DAW:
Reaper

TAL-Elek7ro x18

Built-in FX:
ReaEQ x19
ReaComp x13
ReaGate x3
ReaDelay x2
ReaXcomp x1
MDA Pseudo-Stereo x1

Freeware FX:
Ambient Reverb x2
OrilRiver x2
Classic Reverb x1
Cocoa Delay x1
HY-TP2 x1
Autopan Modulator v1.3 x1
A1StereoControl x1 (safe bass)
Voxengo Tube Amp x1
Stereo-Helper x1
BootEQmkII x1

Commercial FX:
H-Comp Stereo x6
Ozone 8 Elements x1
Playing with synths. Making out of fashion sounds come out.
https://soundcloud.com/existalgia

Local Man
KVRist
338 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:00 am

Existalgia wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am
Hello everyone! New here, been lurking for some time now. Began getting serious about making music this year. Finally put together a full track for my first OSC entry, and hopefully more will come!
I decided to go for all Elek7ro. I really like when all parameters are available on one screen. I'd never considered using Elek7ro before compared to other softsynths I have, but picking this one up and using it was a breeze.
Percussion was definently the hardest part. First time I've made percussion sounds with a synth as opposed to using samples, so I expected a challenge.
Still learning to mix and master. It's not perfect, but decided to put it up instead of spending too much time on repeat adjustments.

Link:
https://soundcloud.com/existalgia/impending-synth

DAW:
Reaper

TAL-Elek7ro x18

Built-in FX:
ReaEQ x19
ReaComp x13
ReaGate x3
ReaDelay x2
ReaXcomp x1
MDA Pseudo-Stereo x1

Freeware FX:
Ambient Reverb x2
OrilRiver x2
Classic Reverb x1
Cocoa Delay x1
HY-TP2 x1
Autopan Modulator v1.3 x1
A1StereoControl x1 (safe bass)
Voxengo Tube Amp x1
Stereo-Helper x1
BootEQmkII x1

Commercial FX:
H-Comp Stereo x6
Ozone 8 Elements x1
Your track sounds great. Especially for someone who got serious about making music this year. I think the percussion sounds particularly good. Welcome aboard!

Return to “Instruments”