Deactivating tracks doesn´t unload from RAM????

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That´s a bummer for me tbh...
Sure it´s nice to be able easily reactivate the track on the fly... but this means, if you run out of RAM there is no other way than deleting plugins... :cry:

In Studio One and Reaper deactivating/setting offline frees up the RAM as well...

Is this intended to be in Bitwig? Anyone knows??

It does for me. I make drum kits from raw 909 samples and process them all at once. I bounce to another drum rack and disable and hide the original kit with all the compressors, filters, etc.. Once it’s disabled cpu usage drops.

*edit* just realized you said ram, not cpu.

Maybe that's a thing to consider for the Devs.Hit them up on their email about this.

It might get even worse for someone using big kontakt libraries.A solution might be to bounce the audio first before adding any effects.Once the audio is bounced,deleting the instrument and then adding FX to the audio will free up much RAM and CPU.

newtobitwig wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 am It might get even worse for someone using big kontakt libraries....
Avenger takes up to 900MB for every single instance... 10 instances of Avenger take up easily up to 9 gigs of RAM...
Then comes Omnisphere, Eazy/Superior Drummer, as mentinoned Kontakt...

Many many instruments eating RAM for breakfast... I would like to see some easy way of unloading instruments from RAM after bouncing without having to delete them...

These are all the little things, where traditionel DAWs shine and DAWs like Bitwig, Ableton, FL Studio fail... sadly... :?

Avenger is poorly optimized. No plugin should take 900MB of RAM. But I get your suggestion, kind of "parking" functionality, where only the settings and names are kept, offloading from ram/cpu/PDC. I miss such thing, too, even for single plugins.

Trancit wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 am These are all the little things, where traditionel DAWs shine and DAWs like Bitwig, Ableton, FL Studio fail... sadly... :?
Bitwig and Live are both designed to dynamically enable/disable on the fly. But there still should be some way to do what you are asking.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:17 pm Bitwig and Live are both designed to dynamically enable/disable on the fly...
I get what you mean, but for my understanding, deactivated tracks is not part of that or at least should not be...

For quick enable "parked" plugins, there are i.e. mute functions or instrument/fx selector...

Deactivating for me means: I have a track I don´t want to delete for being able to recall earlier state of work respectively as a backup, but up to then it shall not bother me at all... no CPU, no RAM as if it wasn´t there...

Holy crap, you're right. There's only 17 tracks in this project right now and I'm using 12 gigs of RAM. All Omni and a few Kontakt.

Deactivating the tracks seems to work for me? I deactivated 5 tracks and it dropped 3 gigs of RAM.

For me it does not...

Having loaded for a simple test 4 tracks with each an instance of Avenger ...: 2,7 gig of ram
I disabled 3 of the tracks...: 2,7 gig of ram

Did the same in Studio One: Ram usage dropped from 2.4 gig to 800MB...

Perhaps you´ve got automatic purge in Kontakt activated and the disabling of the Kontakt instances forced the plugin to unload all the samples...
Try with Omnisphere only...

Trancit wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 am
newtobitwig wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 am It might get even worse for someone using big kontakt libraries....
Avenger takes up to 900MB for every single instance... 10 instances of Avenger take up easily up to 9 gigs of RAM...
Then comes Omnisphere, Eazy/Superior Drummer, as mentinoned Kontakt...
Holy :eek: . Why does it take up so much? I can have quite a few instances of Zebra2 open it doesnt take that much up at all. Is this due to these synths working off of samples and Zebra2 synthesizing from scratch? I messed with ANA2 and Pigment demos and noticed they took up a ton of space as well; Zebra2 is tiny. Thought it was cuz it’s an old vst but Hive was also good on resources.

As are Sylenth1, Spire and many many others... but some take up really a lot of space...

If using the KOntakt sampler, you can temporarily drop the samples from inside the plug-in's UGI. And reconnect Kontakt with used samples later, if needed. This has saved me quite a few times.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

pboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm If using the KOntakt sampler, you can temporarily drop the samples from inside the plug-in's UGI. And reconnect Kontakt with used samples later, if needed. This has saved me quite a few times.
My main problem is more Avenger as I use it a lot and as said ~900MB every instance...

I just tried with Omnisphere and you're right. The thing is, how would they go about unloading the ram, in other words the samples in the case of Omnisphere, without it taking all the time to load them back up? I'm no expert, but from where I'm sitting that sounds like a magical task. If it isn't, again, I'm no expert. :D
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”