Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I have barely scratched the surface with checking out Hive's wave table sounds. Anyone come across any good sounds that are like Thomas Dolby's PPG synth sounds? I have tried Waldorf's PPG software synths, and they rarely interest me with the sounds they make, in my experience, but that's just my opinion.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm Folder structure doesn't have to be reconstructed, but all wavetables should be in Wavetables folder. Preferably there should be no duplicate names with different wavetables contained.
Duplicated names are one of my concerns, so it's good to hear about it. I'll give them unique names. thanks!
Urs wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm That said, we will improve wavetable finding, error messages and all that over time. We will also embed uhm-based wavetables in presets (pending a reasonable size and no external dependencies).

The <empty> folder name is the result of a lot of last minute changes and attempts to make things fail safe, and we should really make it more descriptive :oops:
I got it. It does work as fail-safe and I appreciate how wisely they're managed. I'm gonna keep eyes on the changes on that part.
For now, simple <empty> message is more convenient than being interrupted by a popup error message :wink:
ImageMONA, the new skin for DIVA is released! | Follow me on Twitter.

plugmon wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm Folder structure doesn't have to be reconstructed, but all wavetables should be in Wavetables folder. Preferably there should be no duplicate names with different wavetables contained.
Duplicated names are one of my concerns, so it's good to hear about it. I'll give them unique names. thanks!
Yep. This is (?) also be mentioned in our wavetable guide that comes with the download.

Currently wavetables are identified solely by their filename and location. If a wavetable isn't found where it was when saving a preset, the engine looks into the preset directory first. Then checks any other directory withing the wavetables folder.

Therefore, unique names are great. Prefixing/postfixing with "XY -" initials might help. As does either maintaining a "myCompany" wavetable directory is good (but you never know if users really keep them there) or delivering presets with wavetables next to them (pretty fail safe).
Urs wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm That said, we will improve wavetable finding, error messages and all that over time. We will also embed uhm-based wavetables in presets (pending a reasonable size and no external dependencies).

The <empty> folder name is the result of a lot of last minute changes and attempts to make things fail safe, and we should really make it more descriptive :oops:
I got it. It does work as fail-safe and I appreciate how wisely they're managed. I'm gonna keep eyes on the changes on that part.
For now, simple <empty> message is more convenient than being interrupted by a popup error message :wink:
Yes, there's a pop up only if the wavetable isn't found at all. If the wavetable is found elsewhere, the info field should have "- moved" attached to the end, and if it doesn't match the originally saved wavetable, it should have "- altered" added (both are possible).

The presets save a checksum of the plain wavetable data. So in a future version, if we can ramp up the browser, we can also maintain a database of checksums to help identify the right wavetable. That would make the whole thing as fail safe as it gets, along with saving uhm inside of presets (we won't save .wav with preset because we don't want gigabytes of preset data)

We need to see how it works out in practice. The current scheme might be bearable if there's a single incident every month and if such can be relieved quickly. Maybe then we need to improve educational material. But if it becomes a common niggle, we'll certainly add those more sophisticated ways, a file loading dialog (which is already prepared) and what not.

needaname wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:07 pm Just finished 120 patches for HIVE using the wavetables. Done a couple of short audio demos if anyone is interested in listening?

I especially like the hard basses from HIVE! :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/newloops/sets/wa ... e-presets
Nice! Shared this on our Facebook page :)
Ahh! Very cool - thanks. :tu:

Some philosophical observations:

U-He Hive - less is more.
UVI Falcon - more is more.
Dune 3 - more is less.
Synthmaster One - less is less.

P.S.: just kidding :lol:

Here is an interesting old thread I found. I wonder if it is applicable for making .uhm tables?

viewtopic.php?t=425973

Stan Navi wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:26 am Some philosophical observations:

U-He Hive - less is more.
UVI Falcon - more is more.
Dune 3 - more is less.
Synthmaster One - less is less.

P.S.: just kidding :lol:
Shots fired :hyper:
Always Read the Manual!

Less is never more. It may be faster but it's never more. Edgar Allan Poe..... :wink:
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

tony10000 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 am Here is an interesting old thread I found. I wonder if it is applicable for making .uhm tables?

viewtopic.php?t=425973
Some of it is. But there are lots of differences. E.g. for uhm, phase goes from 0 to 1 to make geometric wave manipulation simple, but trigonometric functions are in radians, expecting 2 * pi * phase for one full cycle. I think it makes sense how it's done in Serum given that the input field is small.

We don't have the Ternary Conditional Operator because it's weirdo in operator precedence - it would probably slow the parsing down and to be honest I simply hadn't figured out how to implement it absolutely fail safe. We have the select(x,y,z) operator instead.

However, the most important thing about uhm is that you can split all those operations over several lines. You can copy/paste standard operations (e.g. DC removal) and we hope to have a library of useful snippets and tutorials in less than a year.

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 am
tony10000 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 am Here is an interesting old thread I found. I wonder if it is applicable for making .uhm tables?

viewtopic.php?t=425973
Some of it is. But there are lots of differences. E.g. for uhm, phase goes from 0 to 1 to make geometric wave manipulation simple, but trigonometric functions are in radians, expecting 2 * pi * phase for one full cycle. I think it makes sense how it's done in Serum given that the input field is small.

We don't have the Ternary Conditional Operator because it's weirdo in operator precedence - it would probably slow the parsing down and to be honest I simply hadn't figured out how to implement it absolutely fail safe. We have the select(x,y,z) operator instead.

However, the most important thing about uhm is that you can split all those operations over several lines. You can copy/paste standard operations (e.g. DC removal) and we hope to have a library of useful snippets and tutorials in less than a year.
Awesome...I look forward to it. In the meantime, I will continue playing with my 2-3 GB of wavetables!

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 am for uhm, phase goes from 0 to 1 to make geometric wave manipulation simple, but trigonometric functions are in radians, expecting 2 * pi * phase for one full cycle......

We don't have the Ternary Conditional Operator because it's weirdo in operator precedence - it would probably slow the parsing down and to be honest I simply hadn't figured out how to implement it absolutely fail safe......
Am I the only one who doesn't understand a word of what Urs just wrote ? :oops:

Or am I the only one not too proud to admit it ? :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:41 am
Urs wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 am for uhm, phase goes from 0 to 1 to make geometric wave manipulation simple, but trigonometric functions are in radians, expecting 2 * pi * phase for one full cycle......

We don't have the Ternary Conditional Operator because it's weirdo in operator precedence - it would probably slow the parsing down and to be honest I simply hadn't figured out how to implement it absolutely fail safe......
Am I the only one who doesn't understand a word of what Urs just wrote ? :oops:

Or am I the only one not too proud to admit it ? :lol:
I think Ternary Conditional Operators are stuff that gets added to shampoo to stop hair frizzing.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:19 am Less is never more. It may be faster but it's never more. Edgar Allan Poe..... :wink:
"How can less be more? More is more!"

- Yngwie Malmsteen

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 am I think Ternary Conditional Operators are stuff that gets added to shampoo to stop hair frizzing.
Ahhh that explains why I didn't know. I shave my head so haven't needed shampoo for quite some time. :hihi:

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:54 am
"How can less be more? More is more!"

- Yngwie Malmsteen
:tu: One of my favorite guitarists and a wise man as well.....

And a bloody asswipe of a human :D

Return to “u-he”