Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wetdentist
KVRist
461 posts since 19 Jan, 2008 from Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 am

weird that this is the only synth i have that acts this way. i remember mentioning this issue a couple/few years ago and had hoped that this issue had been fixed by now, but alas, it has not. oh well.
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 10, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Melodyne 4 Studio, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EHX Synth 9, EXH Superego+ etc

Local Man
KVRist
357 posts since 31 May, 2017

Re: Obxd synthesizer

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

Yeah, this synth also handles automation and midi learn in a strange way also (at least in Logic). When I try to write automation in latch mode (or any other real time automation mode) I get nothing. But you can select parameters from the drop down menu on the automation lane and draw in automation. I don't think I've come across another synth that works like that. Usually if the parameters are mapped for automation, you can draw it in or do it real time. I don't know what the hang up for this one is.

zzz00m
KVRAF
1558 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 am

It's a cool piece of freeware, and a decent Oberheim emulation. It is what it is.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Local Man
KVRist
357 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

zzz00m wrote:It's a cool piece of freeware, and a decent Oberheim emulation. It is what it is.
I agree. Which is why I still use it extensively, despite its little quirks.

wetdentist
KVRist
461 posts since 19 Jan, 2008 from Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 am

yeah, no one uses Maschine anyway.
i can, if i must, use it in Cakewalk, though i do most of my composing in Maschine.
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 10, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Melodyne 4 Studio, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EHX Synth 9, EXH Superego+ etc

discoDSP
KVRAF
3990 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from Spain, Europe

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 am

I have some words to share from 2Dat regarding the old vs new OB-Xd filters:
Yes, they are different. Latest version is more physically correct. It's based on a "mystran" tangent method and does good with lightly non-linear filters such as Oberheim Ob-x or SEM.
I also tried non-iterative method based on a non-elementary omega function to solve the non-linear equation with exponents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Omega_function

Double the cpu cost and barely any difference in sound.

The non-linearities in the latest filter version are not an exact approximation to a diode pair, but rather like a "soft" saturation curve. I thought it sounded better at the moment.
So the reality about old filters sounding better is not true :) Cheers!

fmr
KVRAF
8406 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 am

discoDSP wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 am
So the reality about old filters sounding better is not true :) Cheers!
Since this is an entirely subjective perception and opinion, it will always be debatable :hihi: It's like the old debate between analog and digital, or hardware vs software.

Anyway, now we have it clear that they are different. But it's a take it or leave it option. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

discoDSP
KVRAF
3990 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from Spain, Europe

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 am

Old filters using double the CPU is not subjective :hihi: if the person who designed the filters decided the new ones were better at the time is something to consider. But yes, each to his own.
Last edited by discoDSP on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbpete
KVRian
1373 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:00 am

Of course there's always the option of them being switchable a la the 3 engine modes on Dexed, leave it up to the user as to what they think sounds 'best' :)

aciddose
KVRAF
12125 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 am

Enabling the switching can cost a lot. Either you need to template the entire process function (block processing) and switch "outside the loop" or there is some potential for significant overhead to using function pointers, switches or other methods. Optimization issues aside (which are likely minor today anyway, although not always) there is also the overhead of managing the GUI stuff, extra parameters, how is this saved in presets, is it compatible and numerous other issues that don't seem obvious at a glance.

Plus you'd need to write the code. That is usually a significant "but it isn't MY time" overlooked cost.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.

mcbpete
KVRian

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:23 am

As the source seems to suggest the filter is indeed a separate function ( https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd/blob/ma ... e/Filter.h ) with case switching for the filter modes (eg HP, LP etc.) couldn't you just have the 'old' and 'new' versions in that same header file, but switch which version is called depending on a global user setting.

I don't think it'd need to be stored in presets, like the dexed engine it'd just be a global setting (possibly saved to an .ini ?) and the GUI front panel wouldn't need tweaking either - Just add the filter-type option to the right-click menu

aciddose
KVRAF
12125 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Are you going to program all that stuff? Feel free, it's open source.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.

mcbpete
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 am

I don't have Juce, Visual Studio, access to the earlier filter code, VST coding skills, and hardly any free time (currently working 6 days a week, 9am-8pm shifts) so ... nope.

Return to “Instruments”