TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 | 4.1.3 - 24-01-2019]

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
beatmangler443
KVRist
373 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:18 am
Update notes added for Studio One 4.1.2 to page one.

A shorter listing of issues than previous updates, but still a significant number nonetheless that fix some really annoying ones that caused lots of frustration like recorded notes jumping when recording outside the active loop mark.

___

They added some versioning feature, but personally I can do without some half caked additions like this. It's derived from Sonar which isn't a good sign...
With what it isn't a good sign? It's a nice feature. Nobody thought they would come out with the Atom (which I have). So Presonus is trying to balance features for various users that come from various DAW's.

LawrenceF
KVRAF
6017 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:47 pm

beatmangler443 wrote: It's a nice feature.
It's new optional behavior for the a feature that's been there since 1.x.

Unless you tick the "Incremental" box it will work pretty much like it always did, make a checkpoint backup version, but now it also always adds the version name to the song name so that you always know what version you're currently working in, which was a little confusing before.

"Incremental" just puts you directly into that version like doing a "Save As...".

AdvancedFollower
KVRist
215 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 am

It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
Other than that, it's a pretty "boring" release with mostly bugfixes, but that's to be expected from such a small version jump. 4.2 might be more exciting.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
773 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 am
It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
Other than that, it's a pretty "boring" release with mostly bugfixes, but that's to be expected from such a small version jump. 4.2 might be more exciting.
For the past 4 years, I've ignored the default song save location Studio One uses (I don't open these files even though it saves them there also). I create my own separate Song / Track folder for the version of Studio One I'm using and use my own method of incremented saving 1, 2, 3 / 3A 3B ect which defines the progress I've made in a track. I want full control over what gets saved, to see where that is and to be able to navigate to the location if I need to. The existing song folder creates a history backup also but it's really quite redundant in practical use, for all but the most exceptional scenario's. Because I manage my own song files, I've ignored the versioning aspect of Studio One also. I don't need it and really didn't trust it previously...

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features. They can save those for sub point 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and major 4.5, 5.0 revisions.

I ended stalling the continuation of the track I was working on for 6 weeks...because of a couple of midi bugs. (I don't like to regress to earlier versions).
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

AdvancedFollower
KVRist
215 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features.
I agree, the first priority should be to make sure that all current features work as intended, before adding even more features. On the other hand, this particular feature cannot have been very complicated to implement (it's just a small tweak to an existing feature), and it might be useful for some people.

On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...

beatmangler443
KVRist
373 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am

Presonus should do this and that. Try Digital Performer on window for two weeks and then come back to S4, and see if you say the same thing.

beatmangler443
KVRist
373 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 am
AdvancedFollower wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 am
It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
Other than that, it's a pretty "boring" release with mostly bugfixes, but that's to be expected from such a small version jump. 4.2 might be more exciting.
For the past 4 years, I've ignored the default song save location Studio One uses (I don't open these files even though it saves them there also). I create my own separate Song / Track folder for the version of Studio One I'm using and use my own method of incremented saving 1, 2, 3 / 3A 3B ect which defines the progress I've made in a track. I want full control over what gets saved, to see where that is and to be able to navigate to the location if I need to. The existing song folder creates a history backup also but it's really quite redundant in practical use, for all but the most exceptional scenario's. Because I manage my own song files, I've ignored the versioning aspect of Studio One also. I don't need it and really didn't trust it previously...

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features. They can save those for sub point 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and major 4.5, 5.0 revisions.

I ended stalling the continuation of the track I was working on for 6 weeks...because of a couple of midi bugs. (I don't like to regress to earlier versions).
I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.

User avatar
Electric Mayhem
KVRer
7 posts since 12 Dec, 2018 from On the bus

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am
I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features.
I agree, the first priority should be to make sure that all current features work as intended, before adding even more features. On the other hand, this particular feature cannot have been very complicated to implement (it's just a small tweak to an existing feature), and it might be useful for some people.

On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...
TBH, the more I see of the progress S1 V4, the more convinced I am to stay on V3 until things stop being so messy. That's both in terms of bugs and features.
I spent the money I would have used to upgrade to V4, towards room treatment. A much better use of my cash in this case IMO.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
773 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am
On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...
Yeah, the actual release of Studio One 4, seems to have been premature, and as I said a year ago from the start of this thread, my expectations were really of this version not being released till what is by now about almost 5 months away. With the amount of things that have been needed to polish version 4 with fixes in the past 7 months which seems to be far higher than that of 3.0 had, 4.5 expected in May 2019...does raise some hesitation in just how safe it will be with features they add.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

beatmangler443
KVRist
373 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am

Electric Mayhem wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 am
AdvancedFollower wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am
I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features.
I agree, the first priority should be to make sure that all current features work as intended, before adding even more features. On the other hand, this particular feature cannot have been very complicated to implement (it's just a small tweak to an existing feature), and it might be useful for some people.

On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...
TBH, the more I see of the progress S1 V4, the more convinced I am to stay on V3 until things stop being so messy. That's both in terms of bugs and features.
I spent the money I would have used to upgrade to V4, towards room treatment. A much better use of my cash in this case IMO.
Room treatment and better monitors are more important than anything.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
773 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am

beatmangler443 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am
I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.
On the audio side, the DAW you use doesn't define the music you create with it, but the resources you have available to help you create what you want can go a long way to help achieve your goals. Years ago I had to improvise with Propellerheads Reason whilst tracking video in an external video application as one example, but with Studio One Pro and it's native video player, this wouldn't be an issue.

In addition to this... version 4 did add AAF support for video editor programs that have this, and there is other aspects which make film scoring in Studio One really quite practical and enjoyable...

Working in frame or second time base modes on the time line, the narrow fader mode of the mixing console that provides a good overview of your mix and the huge amount of additional sample content that's available to download for instance.

There's many things that would aid Studio One in being better for film scoring as has been discussed earlier in this thread like native surround sound, syncing timecode to video, video images on the timeline, but as a compositional program for scoring music, it is more than capable for that purpose.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

Digivolt
KVRist
247 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

I'd like to say for instance tag all my pre amps as pramps so when I search with that term, only the preamps I've tagged show up

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
773 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Digivolt wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

I'd like to say for instance tag all my pre amps as pramps so when I search with that term, only the preamps I've tagged show up
No, but you can search by 'Vendor' as they have called it or plugin developers in layman's terms and find your plugins that way or vie the folder name. If you want the plugins within that folder to be easier to find, put an underscore to the beginning of the folder name so it's the first in the list. If you want to try that option, you can move the VST plugins you want into it, but the most common and simplest way to manage any plugins you want to use specifically and often, is to just make them a favourite from the right click menu.

If you are on the PC, and want to use a trick to change the colour of your thumbnail to make it stand out from the others. You can use this free utility to change the colour of them. You could use any other tool or method software wise, but this one I'm linking to, is one which I helped expand profile wise and is highly versatile.Essentially, it involves running the utility, selecting a profile from it's large listing and taking a snapshot of the open VST instrument / Effect to create a thumbnail. When you deactivate the effect being used, you will see that the plugin will be different in the browser.

Colour Changing Utility
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

beatmangler443
KVRist
373 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am
beatmangler443 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am
I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.
On the audio side, the DAW you use doesn't define the music you create with it, but the resources you have available to help you create what you want can go a long way to help achieve your goals. Years ago I had to improvise with Propellerheads Reason whilst tracking video in an external video application as one example, but with Studio One Pro and it's native video player, this wouldn't be an issue.

In addition to this... version 4 did add AAF support for video editor programs that have this, and there is other aspects which make film scoring in Studio One really quite practical and enjoyable...

Working in frame or second time base modes on the time line, the narrow fader mode of the mixing console that provides a good overview of your mix and the huge amount of additional sample content that's available to download for instance.

There's many things that would aid Studio One in being better for film scoring as has been discussed earlier in this thread like native surround sound, syncing timecode to video, video images on the timeline, but as a compositional program for scoring music, it is more than capable for that purpose.
Notion is a good option. With the release of the Atom and possibly some midi controllers I'm very please where the focus is.

Digivolt
KVRist
247 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Re: TPR [Studio One 4.0 | 4.01 | 4.1 | 4.1.1 | 4.1.2 - 15-01-2019]

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:38 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm
Digivolt wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

I'd like to say for instance tag all my pre amps as pramps so when I search with that term, only the preamps I've tagged show up
No
As I feared, thanks anyway

I submitted feature request to get this as for me personally it would increase my workflow if I could tag things different either by type of plugin or the character/style the plugin offers, say for instance compressors, type in search and boom all my compressors are available for me to select without having to manually search by vendor or name.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”