[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:18 pm Update notes added for Studio One 4.1.2 to page one.

A shorter listing of issues than previous updates, but still a significant number nonetheless that fix some really annoying ones that caused lots of frustration like recorded notes jumping when recording outside the active loop mark.

___

They added some versioning feature, but personally I can do without some half caked additions like this. It's derived from Sonar which isn't a good sign...
With what it isn't a good sign? It's a nice feature. Nobody thought they would come out with the Atom (which I have). So Presonus is trying to balance features for various users that come from various DAW's.

beatmangler443 wrote: It's a nice feature.
It's new optional behavior for the a feature that's been there since 1.x.

Unless you tick the "Incremental" box it will work pretty much like it always did, make a checkpoint backup version, but now it also always adds the version name to the song name so that you always know what version you're currently working in, which was a little confusing before.

"Incremental" just puts you directly into that version like doing a "Save As...".

It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
Other than that, it's a pretty "boring" release with mostly bugfixes, but that's to be expected from such a small version jump. 4.2 might be more exciting.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:44 am It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
Other than that, it's a pretty "boring" release with mostly bugfixes, but that's to be expected from such a small version jump. 4.2 might be more exciting.
For the past 4 years, I've ignored the default song save location Studio One uses (I don't open these files even though it saves them there also). I create my own separate Song / Track folder for the version of Studio One I'm using and use my own method of incremented saving 1, 2, 3 / 3A 3B ect which defines the progress I've made in a track. I want full control over what gets saved, to see where that is and to be able to navigate to the location if I need to. The existing song folder creates a history backup also but it's really quite redundant in practical use, for all but the most exceptional scenario's. Because I manage my own song files, I've ignored the versioning aspect of Studio One also. I don't need it and really didn't trust it previously...

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features. They can save those for sub point 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and major 4.5, 5.0 revisions.

I ended stalling the continuation of the track I was working on for 6 weeks...because of a couple of midi bugs. (I don't like to regress to earlier versions).
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features.
I agree, the first priority should be to make sure that all current features work as intended, before adding even more features. On the other hand, this particular feature cannot have been very complicated to implement (it's just a small tweak to an existing feature), and it might be useful for some people.

On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...

Presonus should do this and that. Try Digital Performer on window for two weeks and then come back to S4, and see if you say the same thing.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 am
AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:44 am It seems lots of people were unaware of this feature before they mentioned it in the update notes, me included. Of course "incremental" probably makes the feature more useful and aligned with how most people work, since it always takes you to the latest version.
For the past 4 years, I've ignored the default song save location Studio One uses (I don't open these files even though it saves them there also). I create my own separate Song / Track folder for the version of Studio One I'm using and use my own method of incremented saving 1, 2, 3 / 3A 3B ect which defines the progress I've made in a track. I want full control over what gets saved, to see where that is and to be able to navigate to the location if I need to. The existing song folder creates a history backup also but it's really quite redundant in practical use, for all but the most exceptional scenario's. Because I manage my own song files, I've ignored the versioning aspect of Studio One also. I don't need it and really didn't trust it previously...

I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features. They can save those for sub point 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and major 4.5, 5.0 revisions.

I ended stalling the continuation of the track I was working on for 6 weeks...because of a couple of midi bugs. (I don't like to regress to earlier versions).
I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am
I'd rather have Presonus fixing bugs than adding things I don't need in terms of new features.
I agree, the first priority should be to make sure that all current features work as intended, before adding even more features. On the other hand, this particular feature cannot have been very complicated to implement (it's just a small tweak to an existing feature), and it might be useful for some people.

On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...
TBH, the more I see of the progress S1 V4, the more convinced I am to stay on V3 until things stop being so messy. That's both in terms of bugs and features.
I spent the money I would have used to upgrade to V4, towards room treatment. A much better use of my cash in this case IMO.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am On the whole, 4.x has been a bit rough around the edges to say the least, with crashes and freezes confirmed to be caused by bugs, and MIDI notes appearing in the wrong place (a pretty fundamental flaw in a DAW). If I ever upgrade to SO 5, I'll definitely wait 9-12 months and get a more stable product and a lower upgrade price...
Yeah, the actual release of Studio One 4, seems to have been premature, and as I said a year ago from the start of this thread, my expectations were really of this version not being released till what is by now about almost 5 months away. With the amount of things that have been needed to polish version 4 with fixes in the past 7 months which seems to be far higher than that of 3.0 had, 4.5 expected in May 2019...does raise some hesitation in just how safe it will be with features they add.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Electric Mayhem wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am

TBH, the more I see of the progress S1 V4, the more convinced I am to stay on V3 until things stop being so messy. That's both in terms of bugs and features.
I spent the money I would have used to upgrade to V4, towards room treatment. A much better use of my cash in this case IMO.
Room treatment and better monitors are more important than anything.

beatmangler443 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.
On the audio side, the DAW you use doesn't define the music you create with it, but the resources you have available to help you create what you want can go a long way to help achieve your goals. Years ago I had to improvise with Propellerheads Reason whilst tracking video in an external video application as one example, but with Studio One Pro and it's native video player, this wouldn't be an issue.

In addition to this... version 4 did add AAF support for video editor programs that have this, and there is other aspects which make film scoring in Studio One really quite practical and enjoyable...

Working in frame or second time base modes on the time line, the narrow fader mode of the mixing console that provides a good overview of your mix and the huge amount of additional sample content that's available to download for instance.

There's many things that would aid Studio One in being better for film scoring as has been discussed earlier in this thread like native surround sound, syncing timecode to video, video images on the timeline, but as a compositional program for scoring music, it is more than capable for that purpose.

Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

I'd like to say for instance tag all my pre amps as pramps so when I search with that term, only the preamps I've tagged show up

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:47 pm Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

I'd like to say for instance tag all my pre amps as pramps so when I search with that term, only the preamps I've tagged show up
No, but you can search by 'Vendor' as they have called it or plugin developers in layman's terms and find your plugins that way or vie the folder name. If you want the plugins within that folder to be easier to find, put an underscore to the beginning of the folder name so it's the first in the list. If you want to try that option, you can move the VST plugins you want into it, but the most common and simplest way to manage any plugins you want to use specifically and often, is to just make them a favourite from the right click menu.

If you are on the PC, and want to use a trick to change the colour of your thumbnail to make it stand out from the others. You can use this free utility to change the colour of them. You could use any other tool or method software wise, but this one I'm linking to, is one which I helped expand profile wise and is highly versatile.Essentially, it involves running the utility, selecting a profile from it's large listing and taking a snapshot of the open VST instrument / Effect to create a thumbnail. When you deactivate the effect being used, you will see that the plugin will be different in the browser.

Colour Changing Utility

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:33 pm
beatmangler443 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm I see you do film scores... That's not really Studio One's area.
On the audio side, the DAW you use doesn't define the music you create with it, but the resources you have available to help you create what you want can go a long way to help achieve your goals. Years ago I had to improvise with Propellerheads Reason whilst tracking video in an external video application as one example, but with Studio One Pro and it's native video player, this wouldn't be an issue.

In addition to this... version 4 did add AAF support for video editor programs that have this, and there is other aspects which make film scoring in Studio One really quite practical and enjoyable...

Working in frame or second time base modes on the time line, the narrow fader mode of the mixing console that provides a good overview of your mix and the huge amount of additional sample content that's available to download for instance.

There's many things that would aid Studio One in being better for film scoring as has been discussed earlier in this thread like native surround sound, syncing timecode to video, video images on the timeline, but as a compositional program for scoring music, it is more than capable for that purpose.
Notion is a good option. With the release of the Atom and possibly some midi controllers I'm very please where the focus is.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 am
Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:47 pm Does anyone know if it's possible to tag plugins in the browser ?

No
As I feared, thanks anyway

I submitted feature request to get this as for me personally it would increase my workflow if I could tag things different either by type of plugin or the character/style the plugin offers, say for instance compressors, type in search and boom all my compressors are available for me to select without having to manually search by vendor or name.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”