Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am Will it be compatible with Overbridge?

/C
Overbridge is just used for Elektron hardware, wut?

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 am
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am Will it be compatible with Overbridge?

/C
Overbridge is just used for Elektron hardware, wut?
Sorry, an attempt of bad humour.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Deep Purple wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 am At least NI sent out a $50 voucher to make up for it. It’s enough to buy an expansion without having to add cash
Really? When? Im a K12 owner and didn’t receive a voucher... Hmmm

simmo75 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am
Deep Purple wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 am At least NI sent out a $50 voucher to make up for it. It’s enough to buy an expansion without having to add cash
Really? When? Im a K12 owner and didn’t receive a voucher... Hmmm
You can check in your NI account for coupons.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 amIt looks more like a MSEG now, to me, since there are no predefined shapes that fit in a single step this time around, from what the screenshot suggests.
To me it looks like pre-defined shapes, but they "link up" and have variable length. I don't know what some of the tools are supposed to mean/do though, but the shapes in the performer view look very much like the shape tools available.

Chris-S wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 am
liv wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 pm The mentioned fact that Mike Daliot is behind it oozes quality.
I'm sure it will be superb, again.
Hi Mikael,
I'm getting a "server not found error" on your Massive-Soundset link.
Just say'ng. :wink:
Thanks, site was down for a couple of hours.
Everythings up and running again.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Back on topic.

I wonder if there will be some preset compatibility between the two.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

...like eveybody else I'm really curious about MX. However, I have some mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, hearing that Mike Daliot is involved, is really good news, as I feared, he might have abandoned Massive and someone else is doing something, that just shares the name of, IMHO, one of the best softsynths ever made. So with that in mind, I'm confident, that it'll have, in fact, a lot of "Massive DNA" in it.

On the other hand - looking at the GUI and the layout... :roll: :scared: It is functional, but also boring in a way and predictable - and in some areas even cluttered and thus confusing. To me it generally lacks a visual idea, a certain something, that'll make you look. I look at it and wonder, if it's still in the layout phase.

A lot of this may be owed to the fact, that MX seems to be a lot more advanced and complex in relation to Massive (so it's a tough job for the GUI designer). But it's the (supposed) general concept of the synth, which I'm quite sceptical about. For me there aren't many synths, that have such a brilliant balance between a sophisticated and (back then) innovative feature-set, while offering a straight-forward and easy-to-use workflow. I really hope, it'll be possible to repeat this, as this rather looks like a workstation/modular to me (with just more of everything) than a "traditional" synth.

I really like complex synths, that offer a lot of options like Absynth, Zebra, Avenger etc., but rather simple things can be more effective in many cases. I guess, I'm just having an uneasy feeling, that MX won't have this excellent simplicity/sophistication balance, that its older relative has.

I'm also not sure about, if there might be a progress in terms of hardware usability. I was hoping for something, that would be operated with a tighter integration with their hardware and not offering the same accessability, that you would have with any other softsynth. I hope, I'm wrong, but to me it would be the worst, if the main idea would be operating this whole thing with a mouse and only these macro controls would be mappable to their hardware (like it has been with Rounds and with Form at first).

I know, that a mouse is an indispensible tool to interact with a softsynth (even more with a complex one), but I really expect NI to do more in this area. In my opinion, it's a lot more fun and you get quite different results, if you're able to play with the parameters via hardware from the start, that trying out some things with the mouse and then mapping it to a controller. It's the age-old thing between hardware vs. software, but it would be really nice to see some progress here.

That twelve Performer/MSEG thing per preset is an interesting choice. Surely it'll offer a lot of options and convenience, but actually the possibility to crossfade between two Performer curve in standard Massive offers a lot of playability. And using automation curves per song part, like it is suggested in the promo screen-shots, is something, that anyone can do in the DAW, so I'm not sure, if it's really a progress here. But perhaps, it'll also possible to blend between these MSEGs with MX to have the same kind of playability.

These envelopes make me also have a feeling about the future of Absynth. :?

And looking at it again, I wonder, if it may be a whole lot more exciting than Reaktor Blocks, because it may be too similar for my taste (with the exception of polyphony and multicore support). I think, Massive is some big shoes to fill and I really hope, NI will surprise us with this one.

I'm not sure, if it has been a smart move to call it "Massive X", because that inevitably causes all of these comparisons and questions (and nitpicking in my case). I guess, it would have also been totally fine, if they had named it differently, because there is no patch compatibility, it doesn't look the same, the concept is a bit different etc. So it's a completely new synth and if they wanted to have the name Massive in it for obvious marketing reasons, they might as well have called it "Not Massive". :D :D :D

I have two points (or three!):

- One filter?
- What's the VR after the Ts?
- Can you morph between two shapes of envelopes? Also can you Xfade between two shapes of LFOs? (I can't see something like that in the photos on their website).

Personally I like the colours and design, but I feel they have left some key flexibility from the original Massive. We'll see! Maybe the idea is to keep using the two as I doubt the X will replace the original.

EnGee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am - Can you morph between two shapes of envelopes? Also can you Xfade between two shapes of LFOs? (I can't see something like that in the photos on their website).
...I suppose, one could by using a macro controlling each module's "Level" knob (the first one positve, the other one inverted).

liv wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 amBack on topic.

No. Says so in the FAQ.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ive-x/faq/

EnGee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am- One filter?
Read the FAQ. There are 5 insert slots, you can put stuff there, be it extra oscillators or extra filters. Then use the routing page to... route stuff.
EnGee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am- What's the VR after the Ts?
Maybe it's the only page not accounted for from OG Massive - voicing stuff (mono/unison/glide etc.)?
loachm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm
EnGee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am - Can you morph between two shapes of envelopes? Also can you Xfade between two shapes of LFOs? (I can't see something like that in the photos on their website).
...I suppose, one could by using a macro controlling each module's "Level" knob (the first one positve, the other one inverted).
That should definitely be possible to do in such a way, I'd say.

Will there be a discount for existing MASSIVE owners?

Yes! And if you already own KOMPLETE 12 (or ULTIMATE, or the COLLECTOR’S EDITION), you will receive MASSIVE X automatically as soon as it’s released.
8)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
liv wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 amBack on topic.

No. Says so in the FAQ.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ive-x/faq/
Thanks.

Good opportunity for some clever person to come up with a conversion tool, if possible.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Hmmm...

It's not clear to me if one can swap the filter for say, another "insert Osc" or vice versa. It seems to me more like on can swap different modes for these, but the type of module is fixed.

It looks like any module can be routed to anywhere into the FX chain. But there doesn't seem to be an alternative VCA to use a different envelope than the main VCA envelope.

Hehehe, can't wait to figure this out!

Different modules altogether can be in insert FX slots. Doesn't have to be osc or filter, can be other stuff too. Including a VCA, if you'll judge by this earlier screenshot.
liv wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pmGood opportunity for some clever person to come up with a conversion tool, if possible.
Probably isn't happening either because structurally they are completely different.

Return to “Instruments”