Studio One 4 Chord Detector Alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used Studio One 4 Professional for a few weeks and I only really think one think was great for my use, the chord detector.

Built-in chord detection extracts chords from audio or instrument tracks; simply drag a Part to the Chord Track to create a reference for Harmonic Editing.

Is there another DAW or preferably another plugin or stand alone that does this? Specifically write the chords onto the Waveform so you can see the chord for the whole song or section?
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

'Built-in chord detection extracts chords from audio or instrument tracks'

Can it really extract chords from audio?

How well does it work?

It makes the chords detection to be very usable and words the chords it detects on the wave form image. It also then can be copied to the cord track. With the transition detection it works amazingly well and simple to fix false positive.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Riffstation is a free desktop application that can be used to detect and identify chords from audio: https://pro.riffstation.com/features_page/

Working within your DAW with the identified chords will require manual effort though; there is no DAW integration.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I’ve not seen or heard of anything that does what Studio One 4’s Chord Detection does. None of the above plugins do it.
It works really well, I wish Ableton would incorporate this and MPE...

trewq wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 pm 'Built-in chord detection extracts chords from audio or instrument tracks'

How well does it work?
It works great most of the time. Not only can you extract the chords, once extracted you can change the chords and the audio will be adjusted to follow the new chords.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 am
trewq wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 pm 'Built-in chord detection extracts chords from audio or instrument tracks'

How well does it work?
It works great most of the time. Not only can you extract the chords, once extracted you can change the chords and the audio will be adjusted to follow the new chords.
So just given an audio wave I've recorded, without any note data or midi yet, it will extract the chord(s), or attempt to.

I just wanted to be clear on that before I give it a go.

trewq wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 am

How well does it work?
So just given an audio wave I've recorded, without any note data or midi yet, it will extract the chord(s), or attempt to.

I just wanted to be clear on that before I give it a go.
Yes, the key words being "attempt to". If it's a simple chord sequence in isolation played on a piano, it will work better than a jazz piece with complex chords, or something that is heavily processed like a pad with a long sustain and tons of reverb etc. You can of course go in manually and correct any chords that are wrong.

I played with it a bit and it detected some chords from audio ok, but when I changed one of the chords in the chord track, the audio did not conform to the new chord.

Musical Gym wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:57 am I played with it a bit and it detected some chords from audio ok, but when I changed one of the chords in the chord track, the audio did not conform to the new chord.
You have to activate Chord Follow in the inspector and choose one of the modes (Narrow, Parallel etc.).
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=30324

thanks much

DDMF and HoRNet offer VST chord detection.
viewtopic.php?t=493721
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 pm DDMF and HoRNet offer VST chord detection.
viewtopic.php?t=493721
They display the chords that are playing but do not change midi or audio into the chord it shows, Studio One 4’s does.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”