DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 pm Yes, that would be nice but in contrast to Ableton, Native Instruments is not pusblishing their specification.
Moss, a couple of DJs didn't wait for them to publish, they just hacked the screens:

https://djtechtools.com/2016/09/23/hack ... d-layouts/

and here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 22/page-16

This is how I learned NI is using QML for the rendering.

I suspect their transmission to the hardware is precisely the same as the transmission to the Push 2

Civa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 am
moss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 pm Yes, that would be nice but in contrast to Ableton, Native Instruments is not pusblishing their specification.
Moss, a couple of DJs didn't wait for them to publish, they just hacked the screens:

https://djtechtools.com/2016/09/23/hack ... d-layouts/

and here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 22/page-16

This is how I learned NI is using QML for the rendering.

I suspect their transmission to the hardware is precisely the same as the transmission to the Push 2
Intersting but it is "just" rearranging of the existing layouts. If you would want to do add a similar functionality to Bitsig you would need the low level specification of the communication protocol (there is a proof of concept out there but it includes a lot of problems).

moss wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:54 am Intersting but it is "just" rearranging of the existing layouts. If you would want to do add a similar functionality to Bitsig you would need the low level specification of the communication protocol (there is a proof of concept out there but it includes a lot of problems).
True, however it proves it can be done. I was at first looking at how to improve the graphics you originally made for the Push 2, including hopefully getting a display of audio, in order to edit on the Push 2, now that Bitwig has improved their sampler, however when doing this, I realized the Maschine Mk3 would be a better interface for Bitwig.

I honestly believe, seeing what those two have done, that it can be done, and provide us a better piece of hardware to use with Bitwig, with a better screen interface.

What would you need to know about the low level specification protocol? I can see if I can find it.

Though I am not a programmer, I am quite persistent (Though I AM working to learn scripting languages, such as LUA)

Since 2.5, VST device params are not updated on the push (1) screen anymore, while built-in bitwig devices still work. Is this a known issue?

SB-SIX wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:30 pm Since 2.5, VST device params are not updated on the push (1) screen anymore, while built-in bitwig devices still work. Is this a known issue?
Seems you found a regression bug. The values are actually updated but the text is not.
I will report it to Bitwig.

Version 5.9 is online!
  • Beatstep
    • Fixed: Track and Device mode selection did not work.
  • Maschine Mikro Mk3
    • Fixed: Pan and Send modes could not be switched.
  • MCU
    • Display mode names for Track, Volume and Sends. Send modes also display the name of the send.
    • You can flip backwards through the send modes with Shift+Send.
Enjoy!

moss wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm
SB-SIX wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:30 pm Since 2.5, VST device params are not updated on the push (1) screen anymore, while built-in bitwig devices still work. Is this a known issue?
Seems you found a regression bug. The values are actually updated but the text is not.
I will report it to Bitwig.
Ok cool thanks!

Hello

Using Bitwig 2.5 with push 2 @ Moss v5.8. Adding Vst device Diva & The Legend to track 1 & 2. Here i have the same issue : the graphical bars are updated with the knobs but the onscreen numbers (Output on diva & OutVolume on the legend are not updated).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZYxHxBUZN21Rf4ZWA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u1y2km6ZT4pAKBow5

Hello,

Sorry to report: tested on Bitwig 2.5 with push 2 @ Moss v5.9: No change, numbers are not updated

dot.solenoid wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm Hello,

Sorry to report: tested on Bitwig 2.5 with push 2 @ Moss v5.9: No change, numbers are not updated
As I wrote above: This is a bug in Bitwig 2.5 (and all controllers are affected). I already reported it.

First of all: thanks a lot @moss you literally drive the controller landscape within Bitwig and thus also mine!

For me it is a AKAI APC40 + XoneK2 (using the GenCtrl) in use and currently I am especially with the drum sequencer like a child in disneyland. So with the high danger that this was asked before and this might not be the perfect place to do so:

Is there any chance to avoid that the clip launcher (especially in drum sequencer mode is following the cursor within Bitwig, means I would like to keep the clip launcher frozen on the drum sequencer "track" all the time. Am I maybe simply too stupid to use Bitwig correctly?

Thanks alot and keep up the awesome work...
cheers

dadadada wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm First of all: thanks a lot @moss you literally drive the controller landscape within Bitwig and thus also mine!

For me it is a AKAI APC40 + XoneK2 (using the GenCtrl) in use and currently I am especially with the drum sequencer like a child in disneyland. So with the high danger that this was asked before and this might not be the perfect place to do so:

Is there any chance to avoid that the clip launcher (especially in drum sequencer mode is following the cursor within Bitwig, means I would like to keep the clip launcher frozen on the drum sequencer "track" all the time. Am I maybe simply too stupid to use Bitwig correctly?

Thanks alot and keep up the awesome work...
cheers
You need to pin the track and device (**Shift + Dev. Lock**) and might also want to turn off "Select clip on launch" in the settings of the extension.
Also watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4JJsxIcUU

moss wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:32 pm
dot.solenoid wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm Hello,

As I wrote above: This is a bug in Bitwig 2.5 (and all controllers are affected). I already reported it.
Thanks for the update and your Driver. Your driver support and videos made me buy a push 2 for bitwig to replace my Qcon pro.

my, 2.5 certainly is full of regressions.

i picked up a beatstep because it honestly just seemed nice to have, and then i saw the bitwig script and went "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" at how rad it is. i include this preface because my problems are probably 20% actual problem, 80% me not knowing what I'm doing at all.

for 2.5, drum mode seems to not really be working, with pad hits not registering in just about any context. same problem with play mode. I'm not sure what the proper diagnostic procedures are for this sort of thing to ensure that the problem is on the side of the software and not something stupid I did, which is likely.

hajnal wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 pm my, 2.5 certainly is full of regressions.

i picked up a beatstep because it honestly just seemed nice to have, and then i saw the bitwig script and went "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" at how rad it is. i include this preface because my problems are probably 20% actual problem, 80% me not knowing what I'm doing at all.

for 2.5, drum mode seems to not really be working, with pad hits not registering in just about any context. same problem with play mode. I'm not sure what the proper diagnostic procedures are for this sort of thing to ensure that the problem is on the side of the software and not something stupid I did, which is likely.
It helps a lot when you report a problem to tell:
- which system you are on
- a step by step instruction what you are doing,
- what is happening and what you expect to happening

In case you have not seen it: https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... a-Beatstep

Return to “Controller Scripting”